Quantcast

2009 EVIL Revolt: T-minus 10... 9... 8...

ekimox

Monkey
Jun 17, 2009
Anyone out there 6'2ish and riding a XL? What's the cockpit typically like on these bikes, all sizes? Roomy or toight like tiger?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Anyone out there 6'2ish and riding a XL? What's the cockpit typically like on these bikes, all sizes? Roomy or toight like tiger?
i think a XL would be huge for someone your size. my large feels pretty long in the TT area, im sure a XL would be huge

ekimox

Monkey
Jun 17, 2009
Fair enough. What stem are you running 40mm, 50mm, 55mm??? I'm pretty lanky and like bigger bikes. The large seems like an "in between large" and like you mention the XL might be too big. I really need to demo one of these suckers.

Ryzo

Chimp
Oct 6, 2009
Right so after a good ole scottish winter day out in the pissing rain on my revolt im really needing to sort out a guard to protect the rear shock. I was thinking of getting some flexible plastic and cutting it into a fender and cable tying it on to the swing arm in front of the wheel. Has anyone made something similar that they could share?

Im also slightly worried about grit mud and small stones etc grinding away in the tight gap between swing arm and frame on non drive side?

Carnaza

Monkey
Aug 10, 2006
Santiago, Chile
Right so after a good ole scottish winter day out in the pissing rain on my revolt im really needing to sort out a guard to protect the rear shock. I was thinking of getting some flexible plastic and cutting it into a fender and cable tying it on to the swing arm in front of the wheel. Has anyone made something similar that they could share?

Im also slightly worried about grit mud and small stones etc grinding away in the tight gap between swing arm and frame on non drive side?
i`m just using an old tube... not the best looking solution, but it`s very easy to make.. i`ll love to see a rear fender like the v10`s

Ryzo

Chimp
Oct 6, 2009
I really wish some company like crud would look into making specific rear fenders for bikes, you would have thought there must be a market for them with the amount of inner tubes you see tied to bikes?

Santa Maria are you using the Makulu fender then? Could you post a pic or sizes of the fender?

The longer section of a front crud fender looks like it could be dam close with a little mod too.

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
I really wish some company like crud would look into making specific rear fenders for bikes, you would have thought there must be a market for them with the amount of inner tubes you see tied to bikes?

Santa Maria are you using the Makulu fender then? Could you post a pic or sizes of the fender?

The longer section of a front crud fender looks like it could be dam close with a little mod too.
my post was a little misleading - sorry. I ride a Makulu not a revolt and wanted to share my experiance with the fender on the makulu.

Ryzo

Chimp
Oct 6, 2009
Ok thanks for sharing that with me. Im glad its working out for you two :-). Any one else found another fender that fits the revolt well?

superpi

Chimp
Oct 14, 2009
I test this (little bit more "smart" than a tube) : efficient

RapidRacersProducts Néoguard : the large one
I'll try to built a fender ...to follow

Ryzo

Chimp
Oct 6, 2009

I just made this with some plastic i found kicking around the house, should do for the time being.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
some interesting ideas. im going to try and modify a old THE fender tonight and also try some plastic that i also have lying around

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
I've been super busy so I haven't been able to get on here as much as I'd like. I totally forgot to post up pics of a fender I put together a few months ago that I've been testing - and coincidentally it also involves a T.H.E. fender. :)

Will post some pics tomorrow.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Sorry for a late answer on this, but I did a P-lot pedal on an XL and it felt shorter than my large Flatline. I'm 6'2" and I think I'd go XL... Hmmm.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Originally Posted by ekimox
Sorry for a late answer on this, but I did a P-lot pedal on an XL and it felt shorter than my large Flatline. I'm 6'2" and I think I'd go XL... Hmmm.
It's really all about preference. When I was testing the Revolt out for myself at the beginning of the season I rode Seplavy's Large and Dave Trump's Medium. I'm about 5'11" and it was definitely a close call for me who was coming off of a Medium Sunday.

I finally settled on a Medium and after a "getting-to-know-you" period of foreplay, it feels absolutley perfect!

Todd is around both your heights and he was on a Large although XL's weren't in production at that point anyway so I'm not sure if he would have preferred an XL.

Some useful info to help make a decision:

Effective TT for Large: 24.02"
Effective TT for XL: 24.8"

WB for Large: Max: 46.73" / Min: 46.23"
WB for XL: Max: 47.52" / Min: 47.05"

Let me know if you guys need any more info. I'm working on a tech and tuning thread to finally get info organized and easily accessible for the masses so in the mean time - Hope this helps!

ekimox

Monkey
Jun 17, 2009
Thanks alot for the helps guys. I do like bigger bikes and the longer wheel base of the XL might seal the deal for the kind of riding I like to do - i.e. Whistler. I really need to get on one and mess with the stem lenghts.

S.K.C. - Any word on the build kits for the completes??? Thanks again.

BikeFan84

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
D-Ville
So does anyone have info on when the new colorways will be available. Also any online retailers? Evils site is not so up to date.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Last I heard (which was a while ago) the build kits would have FOX running gear as an option. I'll check with the guys to see what's up in addition to the new colorways.

Glad to be of service!

:)

Andrei

Chimp
May 15, 2009
What can I do to prevent the "no rebound" for the first 3-4mm of travel(stock RC4)? Tried to play with the rebound adjuster, different air pressures, and still no real improvement...

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
What can I do to prevent the "no rebound" for the first 3-4mm of travel(stock RC4)? Tried to play with the rebound adjuster, different air pressures, and still no real improvement...

ahhaha 3-4mm of travel, so your talking about this much of the beginning stroke | |

I'd call Fox and tell them you have no rebound in the first 3-4mm of stroke and wait for them to laugh.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
4mm? I don't think I could even detect that...

I'm pretty sure you could, given that it translates to a bit under 1/2" at the rear wheel. A worn out DU bushing has less than 1mm of play in it and its noticeable.

A properly charged and bled shock should not have any travel that is undamped in either direction. And Fox, if i remember correctly, has a hydraulic top-out control so it should definitely be damped int he first few mm of travel. but i agree with a previous poster, i'm not really clear on what the problem is as it was described. more info please.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
so how are everyone's bushings and bearings holding up?
i just took my frame apart and noticed most of the bushings are worn down to the metal and the link bearings are shot.

...going to send them a email to get new ones now.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
so how are everyone's bushings and bearings holding up?
i just took my frame apart and noticed most of the bushings are worn down to the metal and the link bearings are shot.

...going to send them a email to get new ones now.

I over hauled everything on mine in early September... this summer of non stop rain was brutal no matter the bike.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I over hauled everything on mine in early September... this summer of non stop rain was brutal no matter the bike.
id be interested to see if they move to something besides bushings for the next gen model.
i havent looked at the size of the link bearings yet, but Enduro does make their Abec5 bearings in the size needed for the main pivot. i think im going to try them.

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
I have a fresh set of bearings in my tool box at home and have already replaced the bushings. My opinion is that the bushings are so easy to replace (much easier than seal grease on a fork!) that the only issue is availability. I think they feel good other than the noticeable break in period.

The first time I had my bike apart I noticed that the bell crank bearings felt notchy like they were preloaded from the side but I don't notice it when I'm riding. I'll see how they feel after I replace them.

Like Lee, I had a very wet summer and I spent a lot of time at Whistler which has some pretty tough conditions for wear items like bearings/bushings/chains etc and I'm ok with the amount of wear that I've seen.