24hrs of Dalton: Plans & Smacktalk

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Originally posted by Heidi
Just fly all the stuff out with you!

I'll donate a buck.:rolleyes:
Costs more to fly it than it does to ship it. Bikes are $75 each way these days if my memory serves me right. Which it usually doesn't. So, I'm up to $152 - who else is going to throw down????

justbill

Stunt Humper
Mar 29, 2004
barefoot in the kitchen...
Thank you to the Baboon for sending me to this thread.

Its a big deal for me to organize a trip around family responsibilities so i have to pick one or two definites and stick to them. I am very interested in joining the monkey's in a support role. I checked out the web site for the race and i see a requirement for volunteer participation. Please consider me for this. I have some skill with camping and cooking for groups, and have all my own gear.

bill

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by justbill
Thank you to the Baboon for sending me to this thread.

Its a big deal for me to organize a trip around family responsibilities so i have to pick one or two definites and stick to them. I am very interested in joining the monkey's in a support role. I checked out the web site for the race and i see a requirement for volunteer participation. Please consider me for this. I have some skill with camping and cooking for groups, and have all my own gear.

bill
"Consider"?? Bill, the job is yours for the taking if you want it. We'd LOVE to have you!!!! :) :)

We know you have some heavy duty family responsibilities, so we understand if you can't make it.

Deyv

Deyvil
Mar 26, 2002
Montreal
Originally posted by splat
Wooo hooo! Yeah Bill!

The Jakalope team will be jealous!
We have our own support group, thank you very much!

We have treesaw, a girl probably named Theresa, Squirrel's wife and Earl's loved one.

We have a big support group now how is jealous:D

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Originally posted by Deyv

We have treesaw, a girl probably named Theresa, Squirrel's wife and Earl's loved one.

pffffft.......now all you need is somebody to ride your bikes :devil:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work

Actually we might be screwed in that dept - Treesaw formed her own team! But we'll get someone, we have plenty of time :D

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Originally posted by I Are Baboon
Guys, the race volunteer must put in one 4.5 hour shift. I know we were not sure about that, so I checked.
Honestly, from seeing the volunteers at Old Pueblo... those will probably be an extremely fun 4.5 hours!

ghostrider

Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Ok, so who is coming from where, on which day, at what time???? I need to know what some of my options are to find a cheeeeeap flight, in the hypothetical scenario where I would potentially (off the record) be joining TreeSaw's team.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Originally posted by ghostrider
Ok, so who is coming from where, on which day, at what time???? I need to know what some of my options are to find a cheeeeeap flight, in the hypothetical scenario where I would potentially (off the record) be joining TreeSaw's team.
Well you know you are more than welcome to make my house your home base. I'll be driving up early Friday morning.

ghostrider

Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Originally posted by Echo
Well you know you are more than welcome to make my house your home base. I'll be driving up early Friday morning.
Thanks! Unfortunately, Rochester typically has the highest flight costs of any city in the dang country.

Looks like Albany is the closest city - are there any others? I'd rather not have a five hour car drive after flying for 10.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Thanks! Unfortunately, Rochester typically has the highest flight costs of any city in the dang country.

Looks like Albany is the closest city - are there any others? I'd rather not have a five hour car drive after flying for 10.
Do you want to fly right into the race area? Boston can't be more than a 90 minute drive from Dalton. Or are you trying to land close to Rochester?

Shyrmp

Nekkid Girl Gone Wild
Dec 31, 2002
The suburbs of Mexico.....

The Buffalo airport tends to be cheaper to fly into than Rochester.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!

Dough....I have been discovered?! :D

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I decided to form my own team...:devil: Now I have to find my own team volunteer!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!

Albany's right on our way so you're fine to fly in there! We definately have room in the truck for you! :D

justbill

Stunt Humper
Mar 29, 2004
June 26/27 24 hours
I am very close to a final decision. I have a few questions.

The web site didn't mention if volunteers were required to pay a registration fee. Does any one know. It's not a deal killer but i need to budget if required.
How many people can share a campsite.
MMcG, I have changed my camping set up since last we shared a site. The new tent is a little bigger, it's on wheels and has heat, a bathroom, kitchen, 2 showers, a screen house and sleeps 9.
Splat, you are bringing your kids, should i bring mine? Keep in mind i didn't bring them to Pedro's
I would probably leave Boston at Noon on Friday. I could drive another rider with me if needed.
Shall I prepare a menu? Eating as a group is more economical. I could research good dietary recipes for endurance racing.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride

I live 20 minutes from Albany airport, and about 1 hour from Dalton. My current plan is to head over to Dalton early Saturday morning.

If you need a place to crash and/or a ride to Dalton just let me know.

edit:

I could pick you up at the airport too :D

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by justbill
June 26/27 24 hours
I am very close to a final decision. I have a few questions.

The web site didn't mention if volunteers were required to pay a registration fee. Does any one know. It's not a deal killer but i need to budget if required.
How many people can share a campsite.
MMcG, I have changed my camping set up since last we shared a site. The new tent is a little bigger, it's on wheels and has heat, a bathroom, kitchen, 2 showers, a screen house and sleeps 9.
Splat, you are bringing your kids, should i bring mine? Keep in mind i didn't bring them to Pedro's
I would probably leave Boston at Noon on Friday. I could drive another rider with me if needed.
Shall I prepare a menu? Eating as a group is more economical. I could research good dietary recipes for endurance racing.
Bill, the team fee is $625 and it's all paid for. When I registered, it made no mention of a fee for volunteers. I really can't imagine they would charge people to work at the race.

The campsite is 600 sq feet. I did not see anywhere that mentioned a limit to the number of people that can share the site. I will double check. We are allowed to have one motorized vehicle at the campsite. If you have an RV you want to bring, you are welcome to park it in our campsite (if it will fit).

I am taking Friday off from work and heading to Dalton at noon. That puts me there around 2:00. I plan on sleeping about 17 hours Thursday night. :p

Bill, let us know what you want to cook and we'll shop for it.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
It says on the camping map that RV's are only allowed in sites 1-27 - I don't know if they enforce it, but I dunno if I would take a chance...

ghostrider

Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Do you want to fly right into the race area? Boston can't be more than a 90 minute drive from Dalton. Or are you trying to land close to Rochester?
Don't care - just want a cheap flight that will take me to an airport where I can hook up with somebody to transport my weary a$$ to the race. At this point, it is looking like Albany, Friday, 5:00 PM. TreeSaw, when were you planning on driving out to the race? Would that work for you?

Deyv

Deyvil
Mar 26, 2002
Montreal
Bill, the team fee is $625 and it's all paid for. When I registered, it made no mention of a fee for volunteers. I really can't imagine they would charge people to work at the race.

The campsite is 600 sq feet. I did not see anywhere that mentioned a limit to the number of people that can share the site. I will double check. We are allowed to have one motorized vehicle at the campsite. If you have an RV you want to bring, you are welcome to park it in our campsite (if it will fit).

I am taking Friday off from work and heading to Dalton at noon. That puts me there around 2:00. I plan on sleeping about 17 hours Thursday night. :p

Bill, let us know what you want to cook and we'll shop for it.
If the RV overflow your campsite into ours we have the right to put our beers in your fridge and wash our dirty stinking self in your shower :eek: :D

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
If the RV overflow your campsite into ours we have the right to put our beers in your fridge and wash our dirty stinking self in your shower :eek: :D
Most of the RV-approved campsites are still available, so if Bill wants to park that roach in our campsite, we could always move directly across from you guys.

justbill

Stunt Humper
Mar 29, 2004
Pop up campers are usually classified as tents and not RV's at all campgrounds public and private. Perhaps the team leader could send an e-mail and confirm the traditional definitions will be utilized. If not, then we sneek in before dawn and deploy the cherry and apple wood smoke screen and distract the authorities with organic sticky buns and fresh ground French roast.
I'll start working on a menu.

bill

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
E-mail has been sent. :cool:

Bill, I feel dumb asking this, but who's going to be sleeping in the camper? Were you going to let us crash in it? I only ask because of the space issue. If you were going to let us catch some z's in it, we will not set up as many tents.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by TreeSaw
We need a team name!

Also, where do I get the # to call & reserve a camp site or do I have to wait 'til we have a team name? :confused:
Are you a registered user on the Adrenaline website? I booked everything online. Once you are paid in full you can book a campsite.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
We need a team name!

Also, where do I get the # to call & reserve a camp site or do I have to wait 'til we have a team name? :confused:
Yeah you do it all through the website. I never had to call anyone.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Yea, I am a registered user. I just need a team name and then we're golden!!! :D
You don't really need a team name yet. Just throw any team name in there for now when you register. You can easily change the team name any time (up until 14 days before the race). :)