Quantcast

(a belated) merry xmas to me (contains fiber)

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
what I have heard/know.

The frame weighs 5.5 lbs, fully built it's around 10.5 (heavy rohloff). Price was around 3500 for a full kit, including, frame, 1000$ rohloff, shock, and cranks, plus rear hub. Fully built weights are coming in around 42, conservatively (think fox 40 and solid tubeless, not boxxer air and namby pamby wheels. Availability is bad, from what I know XY9 ordered his in September or earlier. Geometry is 18 (or 18.5?) inch stays, 62 HA, 23" TT, I think.

Please correct if not true.
well i'll just have one of my kiwi friends order it for me and ship it here. I bet they have much better availability there,

Rye_Bread

Monkey
Mar 22, 2006
Boulder
if somebody doesn't answer the question about polishing boxxers soon im gonna start a new thread...lets see how you all like that

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
well i'll just have one of my kiwi friends order it for me and ship it here. I bet they have much better availability there,
Doubtful, at the moment Lahar really is a one man show, the owner hand-fabricates every frame himself so there really is a serious wait no matter where you live as one man can only lay-up a frame so fast. As I understand it he was looking to get finance to set up a more 'mass production' style facility to clear the backlogged orders and get onto a more acceptable order-to-delivery timeline.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
no seriously, how did you do that to your boxxer?
tried some spray chemical stripper that didn't really do much but soften the finish. got the paint off with wet sanding with progressively finer paper. lots of mind-crushingly tedious sanding. then buffed it up with mothers mag & aluminum polish. random fact: the paint & stickers weigh 40g.

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
tried some spray chemical stripper that didn't really do much but soften the finish. got the paint off with wet sanding with progressively finer paper. lots of mind-crushingly tedious sanding. then buffed it up with mothers mag & aluminum polish. random fact: the paint & stickers weigh 40g.
sweet, that bike is gonna look amazing with the polished forks.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
did you put a clear coat on the fork? a friend did that to his boxxer 6yrs ago and after a short time the mag oxidizes and looked like crap. just fyi, looks really sweet.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
did you put a clear coat on the fork? a friend did that to his boxxer 6yrs ago and after a short time the mag oxidizes and looked like crap. just fyi, looks really sweet.
no clear. i'm aware that mag anodizes faster than aluminum; just requires periodic loving with the mothers. its been over a month & is just now starting to develop a bit of a patina. i can live with that.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
The frame weighs 5.5 lbs, fully built it's around 10.5
this is a bit off. i've nerotically weighed each part (i've got an xl spreadsheet if anyones really interested), and the frame is 15lbs complete with rohloff (no cranks). interesting weight distribution, in that the front & rear feel nearly weightless with the centralized mass (front spar is 4.0lbs, swingarm is 2.0lbs). really hard to compare it to a conventional frame with all the integrated / proprietary stuff, though. put it this way, with a very similar built to my 37.0lb pdc, this will weigh in at close to 40.0lbs. considering the rohloff hub weighs 4 lbs, i guess this isn't too bad. i have heard rumors of a lighter rohloff in the works...

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
o/t -
who's the cartoon chick in your avatar? always intrigued me, want to hear the story.. :)

elf 232

fewchur serjin
Jan 5, 2007
Im in your head
i dont know im an XCer but i guess im just not into the craze with bikes that look like space ships and weigh like 20 lbs more than XC bikes...? but i like the fact that its full carbon anyway

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
if somebody doesn't answer the question about polishing boxxers soon im gonna start a new thread...lets see how you all like that
Haha.

Thanks for answering that xyLahar, I was getting worried for Rye.

Wasn't going to ask but you offered so...yeah, I'd kinda like to see the .xls you have going on this bike. Do you spreadsheet all your bikes?

I hope Sverre catches this thread.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
here's a breakdown of all the frame bits:

i'll toss up the build sheet when i get a chance...

yeah, t - part of the fun of building bikes for me is the neurotic analysis. is that obsessive-compulsive or something?

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Now thats what you call getting the weigh right correct down to the last gram.
Nice dude

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
okay xy9ine that frame is absolutly sweet. i know im one of the guys who doesnt like carbon but with what all you guys have said and the main man at lahar has said im a lot less sceptical. although now looking at the final weight for the frame it almost seems pointless to go carbon if it is going to weigh more than a 303 that is alluminum. i mean i know that carbon is stiffer and lighter, but i mean 15 lbs is unbelievable. i realize that if it was alluminum it would be close to the 20lb mark but why not just stick with alluminum if the frame is going to weigh in at the much????

sweet looking frame though man cant wait to see the build.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
It's definately "something" pmx, doubtful you've got OCD.

Can we see the xls for your old T?

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Its heavier than a 303 dude to the fact it has a gearbox also carbon will last a lot long than any alu frame.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
okay xy9ine that frame is absolutly sweet. i know im one of the guys who doesnt like carbon but with what all you guys have said and the main man at lahar has said im a lot less sceptical. although now looking at the final weight for the frame it almost seems pointless to go carbon if it is going to weigh more than a 303 that is alluminum. i mean i know that carbon is stiffer and lighter, but i mean 15 lbs is unbelievable. i realize that if it was alluminum it would be close to the 20lb mark but why not just stick with alluminum if the frame is going to weigh in at the much????

sweet looking frame though man cant wait to see the build.
It includes most the drive train and headset and bottom bracket. That's lighter than a 303 would be with XTR I'd guess.It will need a bout 1% of the maintanence also,Yes 1% of the maintanence a 303 needs,probably less,an oil change(25ml) when you put a new chain on. Maybe new pivot bearings every second chain. No other bike offers what this does at that weight. Not even the Honda.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i mean i know that carbon is stiffer and lighter, but i mean 15 lbs is unbelievable. i realize that if it was alluminum it would be close to the 20lb mark but why not just stick with alluminum if the frame is going to weigh in at the much????
keep in mind that weight is with the rear hub, bb, headset, chain tensioner & rohloff. apples to apples, its definately lighter than a 303.

undoubtably, there's a weight penalty with current gearboxes (obviously there's other advantages as well), but at ~40lbs built, this is pretty comperable to current top derailleur race bikes. *edit* ^you guys beat me to the point.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
It's definately "something" pmx, doubtful you've got OCD.

Can we see the xls for your old T?
didn't actually do one for the tmx. i recall the frame only weight being about 20lbs; final build was 47lbs even. i hope the new owner is enjoying that thing. i would have liked to have kept it & retired it as sculpture. definately a classic. *memories*

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
According to the numbers I put in, it'd be right under 40lbs with a solid buildup (2.2 mich DH tires/ 2.5 maxxis', tubeless 823 wheelset, saint crankset, & no carbon seatpost / bars).

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
lets add the rest of the parts

15.00 m9 w/ everyting
06.00 boxxer wc w/o paint
06.00 2 tires
02.50 front wheel
02.00 rear rim and spokes
02.25 cranks and ring w/o BB
01.00 pedals
01.00 seat and post
02.00 brakes
01.00 bar and stem
00.25 grips

=39lbs I was assuming ust tubeless, hence no tubes and all my weights are rough estimates.

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
15lbs isnt that bad, when you consider what is included. If you take, say a 12 lb frame which is a little heavy compared to some of the super-light frames, but pretty standard and acceptable for a downhill bike, then add 220g for a derailleur, 200g for a e13 backplate, 220g for small cassette, 120g for a light headset, another 40g for extra chain+cable you are easily at 2lbs at a conservative estimate of weight that is actually on that lahar, bringing your conventional bike to 14lbs....only 1lb off of the lahar.

Then you consider that you are taking all of the typical sprung weight that is on a normally-geared bike and putting it right inbetween your feet, where you wont feel it. I would wager the lahar is going to ride lighter then even a heavy frame with a conventional drivetrain.

dazz

Chimp
Jan 12, 2007
Down Under
You must be going nuts waiting for the snow to melt so you can ride it.
Should look bloody fantastic with the polished WC's! Here's a pic of mine for your viewing pleasure:

Although, I am making a few changes to the front end at the moment.

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
Should look bloody fantastic with the polished WC's! Here's a pic of mine for your viewing pleasure:

Although, I am making a few changes to the front end at the moment.
WOW!!

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
yes. going a bit stir crazy here. your bike looks awesome. i saw it on farkin (bought from nsm - poor guy); have you had a proper ride on it yet ( i think i read you were injured)?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I really want to hear how that lower link performs, and not from the fanboys. I bash my 26 tooth chainring more often than I'd like where I ride. Granted I have a lower BB from running 24s, but not that low, the stock height is like 15.5. I just can't imagine having the equivalent of a 52 tooth chainring on there, especially with a lower/competitve BB height.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
originally posted by no skid marks
It includes most the drive train and headset and bottom bracket. That's lighter than a 303 would be with XTR I'd guess.It will need a bout 1% of the maintanence also,Yes 1% of the maintanence a 303 needs,probably less,an oil change(25ml) when you put a new chain on. Maybe new pivot bearings every second chain. No other bike offers what this does at that weight. Not even the Honda.
now i do understand that without all the driveline, bb, and hub the frame will indeed be much lighter than the 303. i was compairing the weights as they came from the manufacturer, but i guess by the time you put all of that on the 303 it will be heavier. so thanks for clearing that up for my guys and i cant wait to see the final build man.

ohh and dazz i think i just wet myself from your rig.:clapping:

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Can anyone tell me what the final built geometry is? And also what's the price, no seems to be able to specify this definitively. They look amazing though.

coma13

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2006
I really want to hear how that lower link performs, and not from the fanboys. I bash my 26 tooth chainring more often than I'd like where I ride. Granted I have a lower BB from running 24s, but not that low, the stock height is like 15.5. I just can't imagine having the equivalent of a 52 tooth chainring on there, especially with a lower/competitve BB height.
(not a fanboy response)
When you bash your chainring is your suspension pretty far compressed? One thing to consider is that the link is going to effectively rise in relation to the bottom bracket as the suspension compresses.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
(from a fanboy)
That's only a small chainring it's below.
It does move backward in the dirrection of impact.
It is way overbuilt,very thick and designed for the impending hits it will get.
It is replaceable or repairable(I don't think any have been replaced in five years.).

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
xy9ine

i would love to thump some of that carbon.
great looking frame and a more deserving
person could not have got it! i like to see
a appreciation for nice bikes.

"must work faster, so cold out must keep going"

says alex.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
(not a fanboy response)
When you bash your chainring is your suspension pretty far compressed? One thing to consider is that the link is going to effectively rise in relation to the bottom bracket as the suspension compresses.
I understand that...but no, my suspension is usually topped out or close to it, and I'm trying to get over a big log or rock. It's more free-ride-ish than DH race, but I can only imagine what greater speed would do in the same situation. Sadly, I don't think this is something we'll find out until long-term testing.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
The man hours that go into one of those things must be insane! There is so much molding and sculpting, it looks awesome. I can't wait to see the whole bike.