Quantcast

(a belated) merry xmas to me (contains fiber)

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
holy hell.. a Lahar in N. america. I truely like that frame!

what rear hub? cranks? headset? etc..are they built in? changable?

pics and pics and pics!!!

maybe worth a trip to Vancouver to drool...

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
thats a true beauty if i had the cash it would be my first choice followd by bcd.

dyou have the front carbon shell hub aswell, aer they just a bling thing to go with the bike or are they actually light weight functional and durable?

how long back did your order that thing

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
holy hell.. a Lahar in N. america. I truely like that frame!

what rear hub? cranks? headset? etc..are they built in? changable?

pics and pics and pics!!!

maybe worth a trip to Vancouver to drool...
Cranks are saints - nothing special going on there. I believe the rear hub is a custom job... either 135 or 150 by 12mm, not sure which. Headset is just a standard integrated one, you can change the bearings out though AFAIK.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
a quick crappy shot:

the hubs (i've got the front as well) are 'fischer' - no idea who this is, but very nicely built & light (front weighs 166g).

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
jeepers! I'd love to see a wireframe drawing of what that thing looks like!

Pretty awesome!

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
nice frame dude.

for you youngsters out there Rohloff 14gear speed hub has been around since 1997

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
Is the rear hub fixed or does it freewheel? I'm a little confused by the drivetrain set-up...

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
What is the weight of that frame? As much as I know how Carbon Fiber can get messed up on a rock or two, I still would love to have an all Carbon bike one day.

Sickness!!!! Build that thing up and give up a ride report man!!!

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Nice, Lahars are sick.

I wish they made a trigger shifter, but that's it. Otherwise that bike is quite dialed.

www.laharbikes.com is their site. The frame price is fairly reasonable considering what it is.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
pulling stuff apart...

frame without guts is silly light - 7.0lbs:

gutted:

integrated bb:

integrated hs:

the tranny. elegant in its simplicity:

so many carbon bits. gearbox cover, chain tensioner, floating caliper mount:

can't have carbon without ti:

polished wc's (snow on trails = idle hands):

misc comments:

the mainframe is stupid light, but the rohloff & bits do add up. i'm guessing a final build of about ~40lbs with decently light parts. hard to give a comperable frame weight as so much stuff is integrated.

the rear hub runs a bmx freewheel - not fixed.

i'm not sure what the price is now. i paid an 'introductory' price which was quite reasonable considering all the stuff that comes with it. cheaper than most gucci frames out there anyways.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
Won't see many of them around Vancouver, or Whistler.... or anywhere. Nice frame, I'll keep an eye out for it around town. Is this replacing the PDC?

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Is this replacing the PDC?
thanks. depends how it works out. geometry is quite a bit different (long stays & super slack ha), so might not be the optimum tool for shore riding. i was thinking about reducing the travel on the pdc a bit & keeping it as a backup / trail bike. we'll see. i'm cautiously optimistic as to it's versatility. it does have a huge gear range & room for a full length seatpost, so could even be theoretically fromme-able...

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
Long, low and slack isn't the best for the shore. I've ridden a bike like that up there and it's okay, but not the best. A short travel version of your bike would be great for up there and this new beast will obviously slay most of the Whistler trails.

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
mmmm... carbonium...
Hurry up and get it built, so you can post some pics and let us know how it rides. :)

Wobbler

Monkey
Jan 22, 2006
Very nice, last local race I went to had 4 odd lahars racing, couple of the older ones and some of the new ones. They look way better in person than what some of the pics look like.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
please please tell me that you are going to use a white ind Freewheel on that thing. anything less would be a crime and we would have to take it from you.

btw if you are using an 18T FW the W.I. has a trials version with 72 ratch points