Quantcast

"A vote for Bush is a vote for Jesus"

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Silver said:
"No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered as patriots. This is one nation under God."

George H. W. Bush

It's the spirit of the thing...you know...
I think this is beyond Bush, we all know the man is missing a few marbles. He also said something to the effect that the battle between christianity and islam was not a fair fight, as god was on "our" side (as in the christians). Take what he says with a grain of salt.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
The difference is quite simple:

We can argue about philosophical beliefs. We can disagree. And the beliefs have to be defended, they aren't taken for granted. You can't disprove my philosophical teapot, but that doesn't mean that my belief that there is such a teapot should be given the same consideration that the belief that there is no teapot orbiting the sun should.

Religious beliefs do not allow for that examining and that debate. Sure, you can argue about the details, but you can't argue about the implied belief that underpins it. It's supposed to be off limits.

It's the ultimate argument from authority.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Transcend said:
I think this is beyond Bush, we all know the man is missing a few marbles. He also said something to the effect that the battle between christianity and islam was not a fair fight, as god was on "our" side (as in the christians). Take what he says with a grain of salt.
I thought that was General Boykin?

That quote was from Bush Sr, who compared to his son is an eminently reasonable man.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Silver said:
I thought that was General Boykin?

That quote was from Bush Sr, who compared to his son is an eminently reasonable man.
nope, it's a bush junior quote. I have it on video, made about 12 hours after the attacks on sept 11.

edit: oh you mean your quote...