Quantcast

An even bigger tantrum?

lobsterCT

Monkey
Jun 23, 2015
I read as far as I could in that review until my eyes crossed and I got a headache. Seemed big on claims with little real data. I would like to see the leverage curve.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I read as far as I could in that review until my eyes crossed and I got a headache. Seemed big on claims with little real data. I would like to see the leverage curve.
:stupid:

I sense marketing bla bla.My linkage license is on my computer at home and I'm stuck at work.

But it seems like @andrextr commented at the bikerumor article already.

https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/04/12/a-new-era-of-kinematics-naild-r3act-2play-suspension-makes-the-polygon-square-one-ride-like-nothing-else/#comment-3201256

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Just saw the videos. Dat main pivot placement and chain growth... what is the pedal kickback like on this polygon-shaped ugly fucker?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
here's some crazy shit:

In fact, Voss had to work closely with Fox to provide an X2 shock with almost no rebound and compression damping to optimize its performance. After testing, Polygon deemed the shock's platform lever unnecessary and eliminated it entirely.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i'm curious how / why the significantly reduced damping rates work (ie, talking about 60% reduction over "standard" tuning, and riding with both compression & rebound in fully open positions). what magic is going on?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
If you need a bike that doesn't benefit from the lateral stiffness of full rear triangle and has no space in the front triangle for anything, this might be a good bike for you.

Otherwise,

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
We just need the engineer to come here and be a complete dick about his design. Promote and defend it with unsubstantiated and unquantifiable claims.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
it's not about the math and science behind the designs guys, it's about the feels. The feels make the ride reals. also about patent dodging using a tube instead of a link. and besides, who doesn't like more maintenance?

the level of gobbledygook marketing speak is on par with tantrum though. I wonder which one will hobby horse through a nice aggressive trail faster?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
it's not about the math and science behind the designs guys, it's about the feels. The feels make the ride reals. also about patent dodging using a tube instead of a link. and besides, who doesn't like more maintenance?

the level of gobbledygook marketing speak is on par with tantrum though. I wonder which one will hobby horse through a nice aggressive trail faster?
:rolleyes:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I'm seeing so many durability problems here jesus. I didn't read the article fully but how will this perform reasonably well with DHX 5.0 2007 levels of damping and why does it need so little of it?

Also paging @Vrock @Udi @hmcleay.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
evidently we peons are simply incapable of comprehending the complexities of the system:

naild-it (3 hours ago)
i was lucky enough to be part of the press-camp ...
think about it this way: antisquat/progressivity/leverage ratio graphs... these are all static and for-the-most-part two dimensional ...

the key to the design is the ability to balance both the rider's pedal input (graphs above) AND the inertia (acceleration or deceleration) of the rider ... yes it is dynamic and not easy to describe on paper or the web

the current tools of curves and ratios are insufficient to fully describe the design.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
evidently we peons are simply incapable of comprehending the complexities of the system:

naild-it (3 hours ago)
i was lucky enough to be part of the press-camp ...
think about it this way: antisquat/progressivity/leverage ratio graphs... these are all static and for-the-most-part two dimensional ...

the key to the design is the ability to balance both the rider's pedal input (graphs above) AND the inertia (acceleration or deceleration) of the rider ... yes it is dynamic and not easy to describe on paper or the web

the current tools of curves and ratios are insufficient to fully describe the design.
So what we have here is our first mormon bicycle?

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
There is no magic engineering behind this thing. The tube thing works like nothing else but a super long link that moves in a certain axis. It works like every other 4bar design. Those A-S and A-R values look fine to me. With some simple analysis (MOST LIKELY - without detailed drawing etc. ofc) it will have a simple flatish/slightly progressive LR combined with an air shock, soo I can't see really see why would it be the next best thing since sliced bread... With that AS curves it will pedal nicely tho, not sure about the pedal kickback values, but the uber high AS values especially at the end of the travel suggest nothing good.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
There is no magic engineering behind this thing. The tube thing works like nothing else but a super long link that moves in a certain axis. It works like every other 4bar design. Those A-S and A-R values look fine to me. With some simple analysis (MOST LIKELY - without detailed drawing etc. ofc) it will have a simple flatish/slightly progressive LR combined with an air shock, soo I can't see really see why would it be the next best thing since sliced bread... With that AS curves it will pedal nicely tho, not sure about the pedal kickback values, but the uber high AS values especially at the end of the travel suggest nothing good.

Well thanks for that Mr. Killjoy...now what in the hell are we going to talk about over the next few weeks before Lourdes :mad: