Quantcast

Any Porsche ppl out there?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Why Nick no mention the 997 GTS?
Oh. You KNOW that's the car I've lusted over. That was gonna be my mid life crisis car. The GTS has all of the asthetics of a turbo or wide body, and enough of a power bump like an S.

They're all 911s. It's hard to pick a "bad" one. Just varying degrees of good.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The slowest cars on the road out here are Porsxhes, AMGs and McLarens with British Columbia plates.
I’d venture that C4 Vettes on their back like a turtle are slower yet, once the momentum from the crash has dissipated.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
If I can get 2 speeding tickets, 1 written warning and 1 verbal warning in the first 2 years of having a Honda Element (a deceptively quick car, btw), then I could probably not get more than a couple blocks away from a Porsche dealership before losing my license.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If I can get 2 speeding tickets, 1 written warning and 1 verbal warning in the first 2 years of having a Honda Element (a deceptively quick car, btw), then I could probably not get more than a couple blocks away from a Porsche dealership before losing my license.
I like to think my Golf R is an excellent sleeper. I have gotten 3 warnings from the same cop at the same mile post on I-5. Generic bearded white dude in generic looking golf doesn't seem to register in his memory.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I like to think my Golf R is an excellent sleeper. I have gotten 3 warnings from the same cop at the same mile post on I-5. Generic bearded white dude in generic looking golf doesn't seem to register in his memory.
Mini vans with tinted windows and not plastered in stickers that scream expensive outdoor gear inside, please help yourself, are most advantageous where stealth is required. Notice how few mini vans you see getting pulled over.

I gave up on "performance" cars and motorcycles after buying a crotch rocket in the mid-1980s and rapidly dialing my points up to one under license suspension. Porsche, 'Vettes, etc. are old white male cars.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
If you really are going 997, I don’t think IMS is fixed until the 997.2.
Yeah you are correct the IMS was not fully fixed until the 997.2 but it is greatly reduced in the 997.1 compared to the 996. I think much of the histeria is overplayed but if I end up getting this car I will be doing the IMS in the next couple years for sure.

Trust me I want the 997.2 much more but there is a significant jump in price, they are holding their value amazingly well. That fact pretty much puts it out of possibility for me.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Yes, was him, for being an asshole.
Ha, I was close, I recalled his screen name was just"Something". He seemed like a guy who would own a Porsche.

I got no tickets in my '94 Vette and have only gotten one in my '01 and that one was from someone calling the cops saying I was doing 90+, I was doing 62 in a 55 when the cop stopped me. He gave me a ticket for 65, I didn't fight it. He also said he only did because they called, bastards.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Mini vans with tinted windows and not plastered in stickers that scream expensive outdoor gear inside, please help yourself, are most advantageous where stealth is required. Notice how few mini vans you see getting pulled over.
Never miss an opportunity to post the turbo van burnout.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Yeah you are correct the IMS was not fully fixed until the 997.2 but it is greatly reduced in the 997.1 compared to the 996. I think much of the histeria is overplayed but if I end up getting this car I will be doing the IMS in the next couple years for sure.

Trust me I want the 997.2 much more but there is a significant jump in price, they are holding their value amazingly well. That fact pretty much puts it out of possibility for me.
Come on! Post a link already!

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark

I seem to remember that you can also update the part that is failing?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Ooohhh.... I wonder what this will sell for
If I were to win the lottery, a Carrera 4s is what I'd buy. All wheel drive, manual....stick some good snow tires on it and have a blast.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Ooohhh.... I wonder what this will sell for
I dig the 6 speed. That's why I love the early GT3's. I know that slappy paddles are faster, but I enjoy rowing gears and clutching. I mean, what's the point of learning how to heel/toe shift if you drive an automatic? :rofl:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I dig the 6 speed. That's why I love the early GT3's. I know that slappy paddles are faster, but I enjoy rowing gears and clutching. I mean, what's the point of learning how to heel/toe shift if you drive an automatic? :rofl:
Exactly. That's the enjoyment in driving, being connected to the car.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
those new vettes are gorgeous. but I have a feeling these first year or two are going to be selling at premium prices.
The first year is almost sold out, but prices have been near MSRP. Corvette forum members got together and have been shaming dealers trying to gouge and giving business to dealers looking to sell cars. It's pretty damn funny.

I wouldn't buy a first year Vette (the history has not been good except for C6 but it's more like a C5.5). But give them 2 years and the Z06 and ZR1 will be supercar killers. 850hp twin turbo flat plane crank and 1000hp awd hybrid. For like $145k, that's crazy.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
But its a Chevrolet...
Look at my cost of ownership and get back to me. Paid $14k. 6 years 110k miles, less than $3k in repairs (the clutch was $2500). I have averaged 26mpg. 2 sets of tires, one set of brakes. The bitch runs like a top. She has 181k miles now and is 18 years old. But it's by far the most fun car I have had to date and is my commuter queen. But yeah, it's a Chevy and I get parts at Napa.

Try that with a Porsche. :rofl: