Quantcast

Any Porsche ppl out there?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Yeah I still want a 911. I saw one today. It was red. Zoomed by me in my Toyota. Fuck you all...

It was a 79...
79.jpg
79.jpg

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Fun fact, the C6 steering wheel is out of a Cobalt. Only the best parts bins.

I worked on a project where my company provided the machines that made the C5 throttle body. It was GM's first throttle by wire engine. The engineer on the project told me that GM accounting gave them $0.12 for each throttle motor. They couldn't find a reliable motor for $0.12 but had a supplier who could give them a good one for $0.13, but they were forced into the cheaper option. I remember a few years later there was a recall for bad throttle body motors.

The more expensive motor would have cost them less than $300/year.

Design by accountants FTW!

I have spent enough time in GM plants that I will never buy their products. Been to several Subaru, Honda and Toyota plants in the U.S. and was always impressed.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Been to several Subaru, Honda and Toyota plants in the U.S. and was always impressed.
Have you been to the Tahara plant in Japan, by any chance? That one is legendary, and in no small part why I have a Land Cruiser.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Have you been to the Tahara plant in Japan, by any chance? That one is legendary, and in no small part why I have a Land Cruiser.
No, only have been to domestic automotive plants, but Japanese manufacturers have a large presence in the states. Toyota's Kentucky plant is rather impressive.

Spent some time at a Mitsubishi Aerospace plant in Nagoya. Meh

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Fun fact, the C6 steering wheel is out of a Cobalt. Only the best parts bins.
I may have said this before, but dude at work was telling me he "owed me" a ride in his C6 because I gave him a ride one day in my 2SS 1LE. So the day comes when we mutually agree for lunch and I ride in the fantastic-plastic of the C6. I had been avoiding this as best I could, as I didn't care to do this. He was acting like it was a favor. It was horrible, like real WTF horrible, all hard plastic, it was a T-top, but my head would have been touching the top and I'm only 5'11". It pulled decent...but man, I'm glad I passed on that back in the day. To compare that with a porsche was a complete joke.

The C7 on the other hand....well that's just hotness:
IMG_4625.JPG

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I may have said this before, but dude at work was telling me he "owed me" a ride in his C6 because I gave him a ride one day in my 2SS 1LE. So the day comes when we mutually agree for lunch and I ride in the fantastic-plastic of the C6. I had been avoiding this as best I could, as I didn't care to do this. He was acting like it was a favor. It was horrible, like real WTF horrible, all hard plastic, it was a T-top, but my head would have been touching the top and I'm only 5'11". It pulled decent...but man, I'm glad I passed on that back in the day. To compare that with a porsche was a complete joke.

The C7 on the other hand....well that's just hotness:
View attachment 137393
The seats are the worst in the 5/6. My C4 seats were very nice. The main issue with C5/6 seats is the space. There are only certain seats that fit between the tunnel and door sill. I had to convert my seatbelts to C6 to fit my eBay seat. But my stock seat is complete garbage. My eBay seat has worked well enough for now.

Today I am replacing my wheel hubs. All 4 for $136 with 10 year warranty. I am willing to bet my set of 4 is cheaper than 1 Porsche hub. :rofl:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
You won't get any good advice here, but I can't wait to see the pictures and read the story. Wish I could afford a 2door....no space and would kill my marriage. I miss having a lightweight manual car...but not that much.

/r/enoughmuskspam is calling

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The seats are the worst in the 5/6. My C4 seats were very nice. The main issue with C5/6 seats is the space. There are only certain seats that fit between the tunnel and door sill. I had to convert my seatbelts to C6 to fit my eBay seat. But my stock seat is complete garbage. My eBay seat has worked well enough for now.

Today I am replacing my wheel hubs. All 4 for $136 with 10 year warranty. I am willing to bet my set of 4 is cheaper than 1 Porsche hub. :rofl:
To be fair, yet another guy at work has a Z06 C6, seems much nicer. Those base C6 seats though...they felt like small cushions.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
I have spent enough time in GM plants that I will never buy their products. Been to several Subaru, Honda and Toyota plants in the U.S. and was always impressed.
I´ve worked at Toyota as well. It was actually where I started. The factories in Japan are amazing, but there is a catch.

A dutch senior manager from Toyota told me about the day Toyota bought and took over the swedish company he was working for. Guy said the factories look amazing, but he´d hate to work in that floor. I had the very same thought when I toured them.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I believe i have purchased the porsche, just about to put some cash down on it over the phone today. I have a pretty sweet road trip planned and a brand new (to me) Sony full frame to document with. I'll post up my journey old school style early next week.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Ya I think we can all agree here that the wheel/brake system on a new RS is astronomical. I am not in that universe but the car I am buying does have new rotors and pads which is nice. I would post pics but I’d prefer to take my own.

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC

do you have a corvette now?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
is this the beginning of a love/hate relationship with @jdcamb ?
I don't want a Porsche anymore. I have moved on to a Ferrari Daytona instead. If it is not in your collective hearts to buy me a Porsche. Then I cannot forsake you all for that. I have a no pizza for you list and several of you are currently on it however.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
do you have a corvette now?
Yes, I bought my '01 6 years ago this Thanksgiving. The difference between my '94 and my '01 are truly night and day. Stupid cheap fun. A kid at AutoZone bought an '04 that had 32k miles on it and had never been over 65mph. He paid $14k for it (he sold his S2000 for $18k).

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
They're really great cars, if you happen to be inside, if you're not inside the car and can actually see it, oof. They held their value better than I'd have thought though, I think an S-class is a better ballin' on a budget pick
You could not be more correct, a friend of mine has a new one and man is it awesome to ride around in. But then you have to look at it once outside...