Quantcast

Anyone actually been to Iraq?

Status
Not open for further replies.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Old Man G Funk said:
And keep those countries lending us money that we continue to spend even though we don't have any to spend....
Wait...why are you even responding to this guy?

Seriously.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Today's:

"Suicide Bomber Reacts Poorly To Surprise Birthday Party"

"Surviving Miner Ordered Back To Work"

:D

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Clinton Denies Lewinsky Allegations: We Didn't Have Sex, We Made Love

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
fluff said:
Just for the record, I haven't been to Iraq and I've no intention of going in the near future. Too many tourists.

Too many tourist "traps" too.

:dead:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
"doctors find way to prolong meaningless existance"

"Women have to stop starving themselves past the point of Hotness"

"Swelling Hippie Herds Pose Thread to Delicate Freakosystem"

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Oh, and

"Five or Six dudes just jumped out of nowhere and started Whailing on this one guy"

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
BurlyShirley said:
US sends 'Very Special' Forces to Iraq

...man, that one was classic.
Not to mention relevant to our current thread...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Local Lutheran Minister Loves to **** Wife

Area Bassist Fellated

the "Ask a Navy Seal" advice column is a classic

as is

Clinton Threatens to Drop Da Bomb on Iraq. (Which, of course, featured George Clinton calling an emergency session of Parliament in preparation to drop it...the whole operation, including use of the Mothership, was mapped out).

MD

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
ghostrider said:
I have. I'm planning an invasion soon.
Make sure you have an exit strategy.

And say goodnight to your nice clothes, the mud there is a bitch.

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
H8R said:
Make sure you have an exit strategy.

And say goodnight to your nice clothes, the mud there is a bitch.
Why did you ask somebody if they had been there if your plan was to tell them something they already know? I have a t-shirt made out of that mud.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
ghostrider said:
Why did you ask somebody if they had been there if your plan was to tell them something they already know? I have a t-shirt made out of that mud.
I met someone who had been there who had no clue about the mud! I think they stuck around a hotel pool the whole time.

:rolleyes:

Anyway, if you going to invade, make sure you have a plan to win the peace.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My favorite one liner:
"Woman with amazing rack said to have beautiful eyes"

Military related:
"Military Promises 'Huge Numbers' For Gulf War II: The Vengeance"
or
"'Marine Corps Shortens Slogan To 'The Few'"
or best ever?

U.S. Troops Draw Up Own Exit Strategy

December 21, 2005 | Issue 41•51

BAGHDAD—Citing the Bush Administration's ongoing refusal to provide a timetable for withdrawal, the U.S. troops stationed in Iraq have devised their own exit strategy.

"My marines are the best-trained, best-equipped, most homesick fighting force in the world," said Staff Sgt. Cornelius Woods. "Just give us the order, and we will commandeer every available vehicle to execute a flanking maneuver on the airstrips of Mosul. By this time tomorrow, we will have retaken our positions at our families' dinner tables in full force."

In a striking rebuke of the assertions of the Pentagon and the White House that a swift exit is neither practical nor possible, soldiers of varying rank have outlined a straightforward plan of immediate disengagement, dubbed "Operation Screw This."

"We kicked around several withdrawal scenarios in our barracks, but ultimately settled on the idea of getting out of here as soon as possible," said Maj. Brian Garcia, who is on his third tour of duty in Iraq.

Supporters of the Iraq war say the reconstruction of politically and economically devastated Iraq will take decades, and the gradual process of departure will begin only after a lengthy occupation.

"I'm familiar with the 'years of occupation to facilitate reconstruction' theory," said Army Spc. Megan Beaulieu. "However, virtually every soldier I know—including myself—gives more credence to the successful Dutch and Spanish approach of 'we've done all we can here, let's move out.'"

She added: "Apache helicopters could rendezvous with us in Fallujah. If we left our supplies behind, we could be out of here in 15 minutes."

"I served in South Korea and Germany," said Capt. Barry Graves of the Maryland National Guard, a Vietnam veteran who at 57 was called back into service last year. "I still carry shrapnel in my leg from Khe Sanh. Is it time to go home yet?"

A recent ABC News poll found that the American people are split on the exit strategy. A University of Baghdad survey, however, finds that the exit strategy has the support of approximately 99.3 percent of the Iraqi population.

Pfc. Barbara Terland expressed the sentiment of many soldiers and Iraqis. "If the real reason we're here is to let the Iraqis run their own country, I have the perfect solution: my ass on a plane to St. Louis."

Inspired by the unilateral policies of the White House, Pfc. David Wareham has concocted a unilateral strategy of his own.

"My exit strategy is beautiful in its simplicity," Wareham said. "It involves me personally getting out of here the first chance I get. If I do that, I just might get back to my son, who is a year old and who I have never even met. If that doesn't work, I'll revert to Plan B, which is to retreat into complete insanity."

U.S. Army Chief Of Staff Peter J. Schoomaker said he and the commander-in-chief are analyzing the situation and devising the best possible way to get the troops home safely.

"If the chief of staff is truly interested in ideas about exiting from Iraq," Pfc. Terland said, "I think that it would be a great idea to debate it openly. Why don't we fly home to Washington so we can discuss it together over a cup of coffee?"

E

enkidu

alwaysbroncin19 said:
Yes, I've been there, alwaysbroncin19. In 1978-79 for four months (probably waaay before you were born) as a researcher with $ 4000 stipend from American Schools of Oriental Research in my pocket.

It was the culmination of my eight years of studying ancient cuneiform languages (Sumerian, Akkadian = Assyrian/Babylonian, Hittite, Elamite ...) and cultures. I also had to learn how to use French, German and Russian dictionaries, because we had to use their concordance and texts to read the ancient texts.

Had a great time there, staying with Italian archaeologists. Met many remarkable researchers and kind local people. Teenagers were especially curious to see foreigners and strike up conversations.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
enkidu said:
Yes, I've been there, alwaysbroncin19. In 1978-79 for four months (probably waaay before you were born) as a researcher with $ 4000 stipend from American Schools of Oriental Research in my pocket.

It was the culmination of my eight years of studying ancient cuneiform languages (Sumerian, Akkadian = Assyrian/Babylonian, Hittite, Elamite ...) and cultures. I also had to learn how to use French, German and Russian dictionaries, because we had to use their concordance and texts to read the ancient texts.

Had a great time there, staying with Italian archaeologists. Met many remarkable researchers and kind local people. Teenagers were especially curious to see foreigners and strike up conversations.
He actually means "has anyone been to Iraq since we turned it into a sh!thole?".

E

enkidu

Echo said:
He actually means "has anyone been to Iraq since we turned it into a sh!thole?".
Yeah, I know. Iraq didn't exist to most Americans until our government embarked on the mission to "turn it into a sh!thole" alright.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
enkidu said:
Yeah, I know. Iraq didn't exist to most Americans until our government embarked on the mission to "turn it into a sh!thole" alright.
Actually I think we first heard about it when it invaded Kuwait. Lets not give them a free pass,here.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
BurlyShirley said:
Actually I think we first heard about it when it invaded Kuwait. Lets not give them a free pass,here.
Of course some people in the know heard about it when we gave them a bunch of chemical weapons and urged them to use them on Iran.

Edit: Not implying I was one of those of course.

E

enkidu

BurlyShirley said:
Or maybe it was the pictures of Rumsfeld shaking hands with Saddam Hussein, assuring him of US friendship and materials support on December 20, 1983, that brought Iraq to the front page.

It really doesn't change the fact that Iraq was once a relatively stable country where normal common courtesy was extended to visitors and foreigners.

Undoing the ill-effects of brutal invasion and occupation will be a monumental task and that cannot be accomplished with more gun-slinging coercions or aerial bombings.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
enkidu said:
Undoing the ill-effects of brutal invasion and occupation will be a monumental task and that cannot be accomplished with more gun-slinging coercions or aerial bombings.
It's absolutely mind boggling the number of people who can't grasp that concept.

Oct 7, 2005
Bozeman MT
enkidu said:
Iraq has been a ****hole for the last 36 years. At least it's an optimistic shihole now. Women's rights, free speech, higher education, more civil liberties. But that's all just "political ****e" now
right? This isn't something that you will read about on any continuous basis in the majority of our media (yes fox news included). But how else are you going to get the info? Which was the whole basis for my question

It's so easy for us to only look at the bad and forget about the good. I'm just saying that it's important to remember all facets of any situation. You hear that the Marines don't have enough armor to protect themselves? We would only wear the armor for about 2 months out of the year, or keep those "bulletproof" windows rolled up for about the same amount of time simply because it is too f@$king hot!

There is two sides to every story, so we should all practice what we preach and get BOTH sides, and take the blinders off. :nope:

Oct 7, 2005
Bozeman MT
Echo said:
It's absolutely mind boggling the number of people who can't grasp that concept.
These terrorists/insurgents/oppressive leaders are nothing more than bullies. Probably just like the bullies who beat you up in high school. How did you get them to stop f-ing with you? Ask them politely, as we and the UN have done for so long or did you put foot in a**? Maybe she is still beating you up "A"?

Oct 7, 2005
Bozeman MT
enkidu said:
Or maybe it was the pictures of Rumsfeld shaking hands with Saddam Hussein, assuring him of US friendship and materials support on December 20, 1983, that brought Iraq to the front page.
Here's a great example of what I was talking about in my last post about "asking" for something like alliance. Thanks Enkidu

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
alwaysbroncin19 said:
Iraq has been a ****hole for the last 36 years. At least it's an optimistic shihole now. Women's rights, free speech, higher education, more civil liberties. But that's all just "political ****e" now
right? This isn't something that you will read about on any continuous basis in the majority of our media (yes fox news included). But how else are you going to get the info? Which was the whole basis for my question

It's so easy for us to only look at the bad and forget about the good. I'm just saying that it's important to remember all facets of any situation. You hear that the Marines don't have enough armor to protect themselves? We would only wear the armor for about 2 months out of the year, or keep those "bulletproof" windows rolled up for about the same amount of time simply because it is too f@$king hot!

There is two sides to every story, so we should all practice what we preach and get BOTH sides, and take the blinders off. :nope:
please summarize this post into a coherent thought or two. thanks

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
alwaysbroncin19 said:
These terrorists/insurgents/oppressive leaders are nothing more than bullies. Probably just like the bullies who beat you up in high school. How did you get them to stop f-ing with you? Ask them politely, as we and the UN have done for so long or did you put foot in a**? Maybe she is still beating you up "A"?
Most of the world thinks our government is corrupt and oversteps its authority continually. If one of those countries decides to "liberate us" with their military, would you just lay down and take it? Or would you risk being labeled a "terrorist" by fighting for what you think is right?

And I'm sorry you got beat up by girls in high school... but your feeble attempt at a cut was lame.

I haven't been to Iraq. But I have been to Kuwait, Oman, Bahrain, Singapore, Thailand, Australia, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Canada, France, Italy, Switzerland, Mexico, and the Phillipines. Having been to all those places doesn't make me an authority on jack sh!t, any more than having been to Iraq makes you an authority on jack sh!t.

Status
Not open for further replies.