Quantcast

Anyone have or ridden a Banshee Phantom?

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
All the feedback that you've given is right where I thought both bikes would be. I had actually looked into the Spitfire as well. I guess the thing that bums me about bike shopping is it can be hard to get on bike testing without buying the damn thing first.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i bought a v2 spitfire having only ridden a v1. no regrets. your circumstances sound like you might need some saddle time to make a better informed decision.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I don't doubt either the spitty or phantom would be good bikes. I love my legend. I think it's more just feel. That spitty for $2k is pretty enticing though.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I haven't ridden either, but I'm definitely in the Phantom camp. I messed around with a bunch of bikes until I decided I knew what I wanted: a mid-travel 29er. I have the evil following, and while that's not on your list, it is a "mid-travel" (120mm) 29er that falls distinctly in the trail category, and not in the enduro, mini dh, nor XC camps. It handles everything, is super fast, and extremely confident in pretty much all conditions. Also, it's light and pedals well, so it has a leg up on the enduro 29 I had before, which nailed the geometry but failed on the suspension.

Just my 2c. I feel like a ton of people have the same thoughts right now.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I have normally always been in the camp of 'the most available travel', but it really was an eye-opener when I rode a friend's Ibis Ripley. I don't have all that much to compare to (as far as bikes that 'pedal well'), but man, it pedaled extremely well. Way better than any 6" bike I've ridden. And honestly, I think that bike would be ideal for quite a bit of the riding around here. One of the guys I ride with regularly has just been killing it on a BMC.
if you were so impressed with the Ripley but want a bit more burl, why not look at the HD3? (if Woo was in a grave, he'd be spinning in it right about now!) From what I've read, it pedals almost as well as the Ripley... Of course, you might get confused with a dentist, but who cares what others think. Also, I just spent a couple of days with someone riding a proto Niner WFO 9. He said it pedaled well and held it's own on the downs...

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
if you were so impressed with the Ripley but want a bit more burl, why not look at the HD3? (if Woo was in a grave, he'd be spinning in it right about now!) From what I've read, it pedals almost as well as the Ripley... Of course, you might get confused with a dentist, but who cares what others think. Also, I just spent a couple of days with someone riding a proto Niner WFO 9. He said it pedaled well and held it's own on the downs...
Not a huge Ibis fan. It wasn't so much that specific bike, it was just a little eye-opening to ride something a little more XC than I'm used to. This was trading off for my 30+lb hard tail with a Lyric and Minions on it.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I don't doubt either the spitty or phantom would be good bikes. I love my legend. I think it's more just feel. That spitty for $2k is pretty enticing though.
Considering a Spitty frame with a Fox shock is $2k, makes that deal pretty good, despite the lower end components. It would be a great place to start and if you hated it, you could probably get your money out of it.

And, you don't want to get fat, do you ?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
holy shit, I just got the opportunity to click on your GX spitfire link, buy that bike. 2gs for a very well equipped bike? yeesh. Doesn't matter the wheelsize, that's a deal. Doesn't seem to be any gaps in the build besides the brakes, so buy a set of SLX for $120 and call it a day.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I love my Spitfire. I had the first gen 2010 model, then replaced it with a 2013 V2 when those first came out. The V2 is heavier than the V1 but rock solid with zero issues so far. I put a Corset air sleeve on the Float CTD it came with and that made a big difference, the rear is much smoother now.

If I were to get a 29er FS bike, for where I mostly ride I would definitely look hard at the Phantom. It seems to tick all the right boxes to be a fun trail ripper.

Here is my Spitfire, I have been running 650b wheels but recently put 26" back on so I could run a set of 2.5" Muddy Mary's I had lying around, which are almost 'plus size'.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I lagged and thought about it too much and they didn't have any Spitfires left. I was so bummed. I was out with my boys riding locally on Saturday and stopped by Jenson on the way home. They had a Rune in a large and I pedaled it around. Felt pretty good in a large.

But they also had a pretty good (but still $4500) deal on a Darkside, so I thought about replacing my Legend. Buuuuut, today, went on the Jenson site and they had one Large Mint Spitfire listed back on there. I snapped it up. Should be here this week. Stoked. I've been wanting a solid FS trail bike for a while now and can't wait. Still want the Darkside too :D

Hell yes!

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
It's setup 650b, so I'll at least ride it like that for a while. I'm sure it won't take me long to destroy stock wheels, so when that time comes, I'll decide to stay with it or swap to 26. BB has the same bike in 26, so might swap bikes with him on a ride to compare.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I lagged and thought about it too much and they didn't have any Spitfires left. I was so bummed. I was out with my boys riding locally on Saturday and stopped by Jenson on the way home. They had a Rune in a large and I pedaled it around. Felt pretty good in a large.

But they also had a pretty good (but still $4500) deal on a Darkside, so I thought about replacing my Legend. Buuuuut, today, went on the Jenson site and they had one Large Mint Spitfire listed back on there. I snapped it up. Should be here this week. Stoked. I've been wanting a solid FS trail bike for a while now and can't wait. Still want the Darkside too :D

Hell yes!
Nice score, I think you will be happy with it.

I've also considered replacing my Legend and Highline with a Darkside. I see Jenson does have a Darkside deal for $3500 as well, very tempting. I really need to sell my Legend first though, as I've had it listed for a while with no interest.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Yea, I love my Legend and really have no need to upgrade other than something new. I like the idea of shorter stays with the same suspension. They have a baller sram build for $4400 as well. I almost bought that last night, but decided to wait.

Used market seems to suck unfortunately for 26, even though the Legend is an exceptional bike for the money IMO. Mine's set up pretty well with the Dorado and a CCDB, plus solid running gear.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Exact specs here. Nothing fancy, but can't beat a brand new complete for that price. I'll swap the XT brakes from my Chromag, shop around for a CCDB, air maybe and pick up a better fork and wheels at some point.

http://www.jensonusa.com/Banshee-Spitfire-Jenson-GX-2015-Bike
I suspect you will be pretty happy with the RC3+Debonair, no need to replace it from the get-go IMO; and if, then with a coiler (based on my experience with a different mini-link 4 bar bike). You could probably just get the better HLR damper for the fork and be happy with it, too (although the hate of XFusion runs strong here).

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Welcome to the club man. I think you'll enjoy the Spitfire much more than the Rune, even though I think they are pretty similar?!

The Spitfire is awesome. EOS.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Yea, it was between the Spitfire and the Phantom to me. For the price, it was a no-brainer. Feel pretty lucky to get another crack at it and literally the last one they had was in my size. Going to order some XT brakes for it. Jenson has for $85.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The FIRST thing that you need to do is put the slack flip chip things in and find the nearest hill to roll down!
Maybe second thing, after taking those Knobby Nics off and burning them.

Tire mockery notwithstanding, that's an absurd deal on a damn good bike. You're going to love it.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Yes, tried the folding NNs on my Chromag, they are shit tires. Trying to decide what to put on it. I just love Minions so much....I'm never able to find a tire that feels as good as dual ply Minions.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Word of advice; Spittys require little input and can turn as fast as you can think about it. Use the same amount of force to turn your old bike and you might end up doing a 180 or running completely off the trail.

Braaaap !

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Can't wait to get out. It's literally pouring rain here right now. Hoping the trails will dry out before this weekend, they don't handle being soggy wet very well. At least want to get it out for a quick pedal soon. My current ride is a Chromag Stylus. Really excited about a bigger frame and a little cushion out back.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Trying to decide what to put on it. I just love Minions so much....I'm never able to find a tire that feels as good as dual ply Minions.
I've ran the single ply DHF last summer mounted tubeless. Once you get passed the narrowness it's a great tire. Will use a DHR2 in the back come spring.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yes, tried the folding NNs on my Chromag, they are shit tires. Trying to decide what to put on it. I just love Minions so much....I'm never able to find a tire that feels as good as dual ply Minions.
Michelin Wild Rock'r 2, at least up front. I'm a big fan of the High Roller 2 as a rear, at least up here, but I don't know how the smaller center knobs would hold up on all the concrete-like dirt you guys ride.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I've always had good luck with the high rollers here. Just prefer a little more bite on a front tire.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Finally located a medium Spitty through an LBS. Unfortunately it's not black, but silver with red stickers. Got a great deal on it though. Be here in a couple weeks.

160 Pike should show up tomorrow.

Mmmm, fresh parts.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Finally located a medium Spitty through an LBS. Unfortunately it's not black, but silver with red stickers. Got a great deal on it though. Be here in a couple weeks.

160 Pike should show up tomorrow.

Mmmm, fresh parts.
Pike. Spiity. Were going to need more info then that. You're going to need wheels.. Bikey posts need to be complete....

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Pike. Spiity. Were going to need more info then that. You're going to need wheels.. Bikey posts need to be complete....
Ah wheels...As it turns out I am unable to get I9s at cost. Really bummed about it since I've wanted a set for many, many years. The discount I was offered didn't put them any where near my price range. Of course Jenson has them for $800, but only in 27.5. So it looks like I'll be using my clapped out miss matched wheels and drivetrain for now.

In addition to the 26" Pike, I have an Easton carbon bar on the way. For several years I've been running an Easton EA30 hi-rise and have loved the bend and sweep. The EC70 carbon is the same geo, but wider.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Took it out today. Really enjoyed the bike. Pedals well, descends very well. The stock Avids suck, but I have a set of XTs with some 180mm rotors to put on it. I can feel the wheels flex a bit when I really lean on it or in the rocks, but factory wheels, so I'll wait until they explode.

So far, got all the suspension set up, put the slack chips in it, put a Thomson dropper on (good deal on a used one). Still need some wider bars with a little bit more rise and the brakes and I think it will be golden for a while. I also clear taped the hell out of it.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Have you checked how good tension they have? Detention / re-tension, de-stress, see if they feel any different.
Not yet, but I will. I've usually never had much luck with factory wheels being very good right out of the gate. I'll probably tension them and then run them until they explode.