Quantcast

Anyone have or ridden a Banshee Phantom?

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
He beat me up the hill :(. Yesterday was a wake up call for being fat and out of shape. Still had fun, but definitely can't wait to pedal more and lose some pounds.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
He beat me up the hill :(. Yesterday was a wake up call for being fat and out of shape. Still had fun, but definitely can't wait to pedal more and lose some pounds.
Hopefully this bike is so much fun that you won't even think about the weight or pedaling, it'll just make you want to go riding more. I know mine does!

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Don't hold back on us..... Whats on the way? :D
Ok. This round includes Shimano XT crankset with BB for $100, score, Spike race 50mm stem by Spank, low end RaceFace seatpost, and a pair of 100% Brisker gloves.

I'm going to keep hunting for über bargains and snatching them up when I can. Still waffling a bit on 1X10 or 1X11. Not sure I really need a large, heavy, expensive cassette with a massive top cog that's barely smaller than my 26" wheels. There are some screaming deals to be had on 10 speed stuff.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Nice. What do you currently run, in terms of drivetrain?
Currently running 9 speed XT and XTR with Sram chain. It's a 2X with bash ring, 11-34 cassette and 32 middle ring. I didn't use the granny gear once last year, including 4-5 hour Pisgah grinds. I figure a 1X10 with an 11-36 will be enough. And if it get's so steep that I need a tee tiny gear, then I'll probably just get off and walk anyway. Also have the option of going to a 30T chainring if need be.

Just don't like the looks of that giant cog, or wheels larger than the approved designation suitable for grumpy old schoolers.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Go 1x10 and don't look back. I've broken less 10 speed chains than I did 9 speed. And as gimmicky as it sounds, but having that clutch/cage lockout thingy majig on the Sram derailleur is actually pretty sweet.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I like my 10sp setup - 32T RF N/W x 11-40T (XT+WT 16T&40T). I am going to switch to 34T RF x 11-40T when I am done with the current chain, with the inexpensive Sunrace 11-40T cassette.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Ok, so I just learned of expander cogs. I just thought those cassettes with a different colored big cog were Sram or something. Very cool to know this.

Also, I can't stand optical gear displays since they break off after the first good crash and are generally useless to begin with. The XT 11 speed shifter does not have a removable option where as the 10 speed does.

10 speed is looking better. Thanks gents.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
10sp Saint shifter is IMHO the best one out there.
Better than XTR ? I love the feel of the metal paddle on mine. XT does a fine job, but XTR shifts effortlessly. I wish I could afford/justify/rationalize getting both an XTR shifter and XTR derailleur again. Just need too many parts to build this bike up.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Better than XTR ? I love the feel of the metal paddle on mine. XT does a fine job, but XTR shifts effortlessly. I wish I could afford/justify/rationalize getting both an XTR shifter and XTR derailleur again. Just need too many parts to build this bike up.
I think the Saint shifter is in the same category as XTR, buttery smooth and multi-shift up'n'down. For RD, skip XTR and get a Zee or SLX and the RADr cage (Zee without RADr is no bueno with 11-4x).

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I was pushing a 34 front with 11-34 rear on the hardtail. That combo definitely let you know when you haven't been riding enough. I'm really liking the 32 front with the 42 11sp setup so far. There are some sections around here where it will be nice. I think it will cover everything I need climbing-wise. The bike seems to pedal pretty well even with the slack chips in. Didn't have much of an issue with the front wanting to lift like I did on the hardtail.