Quantcast

Anyone own a Honda Element?

Jesus

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
Louisville, KY
I test drove one yesterday, and was very impressed. A 4 cyl engine with 160 hp that get about 26 mpg is just crazy for a mini SUV. Plus the versatility is really cool, and the brochure had a pic of an M1, and a V10 in the back, with the front wheels still on!

I am so impressed, I am actually considering financing one! Seeing that I despise paying interest on ANYTHING, this is pretty big deal for me (I usually pay cash for everything).

Anywho, does anyone here own one, and what do you think?

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
Jesus said:
I test drove one yesterday, and was very impressed. A 4 cyl engine with 160 hp that get about 26 mpg is just crazy for a mini SUV. Plus the versatility is really cool, and the brochure had a pic of an M1, and a V10 in the back, with the front wheels still on!

I am so impressed, I am actually considering financing one! Seeing that I despise paying interest on ANYTHING, this is pretty big deal for me (I usually pay cash for everything).

Anywho, does anyone here own one, and what do you think?
I hang out with the guys from Honda Turner quite a bit, and at Mammoth, we loaded a whole bunch of bikes, a sh!tload of bags and riders onto / into the Element. It's pretty cool. I also have a friend up in SLO who has one and we fit my V10 and his Bullit inside without disassembling either one.

Here's a pic from Team Honda Turner's website

For more, look in the photo gallery under road trip.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
the cargo area in that thing looks like it's at least 1.5x as tall as that of my pathfinder :mad:

Grimey

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
cali
I am looking into one as well. They appear to be the perfect vehicle for me.

Anyone actually hose the interior out in one? - how does that go? I used to own a cherokee with a rhino-lined interior and it was awesome.

The seats flipping up and staying up with a carbiner is kinda cheesy.

What are the black panels made of? I'm afraid they will fade like all black trim and look bad in a few years. Or I will get a bunch of wax on them.

brock

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Tacoma, WA
We have had ours for about 2 months and love it.

I went with a the Front Wheel Drive EX (I already own a four wheel drive vehicle). I lowered mine and put 18"s on it. Not everybody's cup o tea but whatever. I'm the one making the payments.

I had read that they were "terribly" underpowered but found that it did just fine loaded down with gear and two DH bikes on my rack going up the sea to sky highway to Whistler.

brock

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Tacoma, WA
Grimey said:
Anyone actually hose the interior out in one? - how does that go? I used to own a cherokee with a rhino-lined interior and it was awesome.
You are not supposed to use running water on it. Says so in the manual. I just have used a wet rag and bucket of water. Works just fine.

Grimey said:
The seats flipping up and staying up with a carbiner is kinda cheesy.
Cheesy but very convenient.

Grimey said:
What are the black panels made of? I'm afraid they will fade like all black trim and look bad in a few years. Or I will get a bunch of wax on them.
The plastic is kind or porous (sp?) so wax would probably show on them.

brock

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Tacoma, WA
Toshi said:
i like it, brock. :thumb:
Thanks. We are really stoked on it.

I had been talking about getting one ever since they came out. I was planning on getting nest spring but we got hit in our Accord. While the insurance company was toying with the idea of totalling it I went car shopping and just said screw it. Now is just as good as any time. Plus Honda was running a financing deal that was better than what I already had lined up with my credit union.

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
26 mpg is pretty optimistic. My father has one, and gets 22 on good days. The things are mighty versatile though. I'd buy one in a second if the mileage wasn't so disappointing.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Actually if you're a big guy, i'm 6'4", what really surprised me was the little boxy Scion. That things got more leg/head room in the back seat than any other car I've ever ridden.

Jesus

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
Louisville, KY
I am liking what i'm hearing right now. Plus the 0.9% financing, is VERY tempting.

I was wondering if the 4WD was even worth it on that vehicle. Honda isn't exactly known for they're 4X4's.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
MtnBikerChk said:
My cousin drives one and all I can tell you is she loves it. She has a pretty long commute to work and she doesn't complain. She lives in VT and she says it's great in the snow.
Sitting in the back seat, I felt like I was in the back of a bus. :D TONS of legroom.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Jesus said:
I am liking what i'm hearing right now. Plus the 0.9% financing, is VERY tempting.

I was wondering if the 4WD was even worth it on that vehicle. Honda isn't exactly known for they're 4X4's.

Dude, you dont think that car is a little, uh....granola? I mean, sure it has room in the back, but so does a minivan of you take the seats out, and you can get those with a V6. What's the draw to this, over say, a full cabbed Chevy Colorado or something? Just my opinion of course.

Jesus

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
Louisville, KY
brock said:
We have had ours for about 2 months and love it.

I went with a the Front Wheel Drive EX (I already own a four wheel drive vehicle). I lowered mine and put 18"s on it. Not everybody's cup o tea but whatever. I'm the one making the payments.

I had read that they were "terribly" underpowered but found that it did just fine loaded down with gear and two DH bikes on my rack going up the sea to sky highway to Whistler.

I personally thinks it looks good, nice Element.

And I was really surprised with the power myself. Plenty of get-up-and-go for me.

Jesus

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
Louisville, KY
BurlySurly said:
Dude, you dont think that car is a little, uh....granola? I mean, sure it has room in the back, but so does a minivan of you take the seats out, and you can get those with a V6. What's the draw to this, over say, a full cabbed Chevy Colorado or something? Just my opinion of course.
The big draw is the price. I looked at a Minivan, and some other SUV's. You can't beat $21,500 for the Element fully loaded with 4WD. It would cost me about $5k more for a Xterra, or 4Runner. And minivan's are way overpriced.

Jesus

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
Louisville, KY
Dog Welder said:
Actually if you're a big guy, i'm 6'4", what really surprised me was the little boxy Scion. That things got more leg/head room in the back seat than any other car I've ever ridden.
I just don't like the tiny wheels on the Scion. Plus I think they are even uglier than the Element. :D

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Jesus said:
The big draw is the price. I looked at a Minivan, and some other SUV's. You can't beat $21,500 for the Element fully loaded with 4WD. It would cost me about $5k more for a Xterra, or 4Runner. And minivan's are way overpriced.
really? you can still probably get a great deal on '04 models. we bought a fully loaded honda odyssey (everything but the GPS thingie; full leather and DVD system, blah blah blah) and it was 27.5K. could have definitely gotten the LX model for close to what you are looking at for the element.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
narlus said:
really? you can still probably get a great deal on '04 models. we bought a fully loaded honda odyssey (everything but the GPS thingie; full leather and DVD system, blah blah blah) and it was 27.5K. could have definitely gotten the LX model for close to what you are looking at for the element.
The Element is way less than an Odyssey any way you slice it. The same "deal" that can be had on an 04 Odyssey can be had on an Element as well, so the price difference is still the same.

Jesus said:
It's not really 4x4, but awd, it is a front wheel drive transmission that xfers power to the rear wheels via a viscous coupling when traction starts to slip. I wouldn't bank on it doing much more than stabilizing traction on slippery roads or maybe some slighty steep gravel roads.

My company owns a Honda dealership and I have seen customers pack the living crap out of these things. They are VERY versatile. You also can't go wrong with Honda's dependibility and resale value. If the styling was a little less hoaky I would be driving one for sure.

But then again I had never seen one look as nice as Brock's before. Nice job on the styling. :thumb:

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Jesus said:

what?

$26,500 for an exterra ? maybe the super charged one with no discounts

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
MMcG said:
There is $2,400 cash back on Xterras right now - 2004s that is.
$24,750
-1,200 (aprox dealer discount)
$21,150.00

2004 Nissan Xterra XE-V6

Total MSRP† $24,750.00
VIN: 5N1ED28Y74C666465
Model: XE-V6

Exterior: Granite
Interior: Gray
Transmission Automatic
Drivetrain 4x4
Packages and Options
Body Side Molding $100
In-Cabin Microfilter $50
Splash Guards(set of 4) $90
Xterra World Championship Package $1300
Accessories
Carpeted Floor Mats without Subwoofer $150
Base MSRP $22,500.00
Total Packages, Options, & Accessories $1,690.00
Destination & Handling $560.00
Total MSRP† $24,750.00

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
go to www.kbb.com and get the dealer invoice (yes it is accurate) then subtract the $2400 and add a profit that you think the dealer will be willing to take.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Jesus said:
Which one has more interior space?

And anyone know if you can take out the rear seats, and fit a couple bikes in there?
I don't think the xterra is as versatile as the Honda in terms of interior configurations.

But I'm not positive.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
When we bought our 2003 Xterra this January, we paid $20,300:
2003 Nissan Xterra XE V-6
Manual Transmission
4WD
Power package
Step up side bars
Tow package

If you can wait a few months get a new 2004 well after the 2005's are out, the dealers will be more likely to wheel and deal with you, they did in my case at least.

Good luck..........

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Jesus said:
yea... but you can't really compare an Xterra/4Runner with an Element - totally different vehicles.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
jacksonpt said:
yea... but you can't really compare an Xterra/4Runner with an Element - totally different vehicles.
That is true, but from Jesus' post it seems like he's looking for a versatile vehicle that can haul bikes and gear and ****, vs. a true off road SUV like the Xterra or 4Runner can serve as.

Am I right Jesus? haha that is weird to type! haha

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
MMcG said:
That is true, but from Jesus' post it seems like he's looking for a versatile vehicle that can haul bikes and gear and ****, vs. a true off road SUV like the Xterra or 4Runner can serve as.

Except the Jeep Rubicon... there is no true off-road SUV right off the showroom floor. While Toyotas and Jeeps are best equipped to be turned into off-road rigs - in stock form they make excellent gear haulers. Down side for most people is gas mileage. In which case, I suggest the hybrid Toyota Highlander - a bit pricey, but 600 miles on a tank of gas, built on the camry platform for smooth, comfy ride, and has decent space can be very appealing.

There is no do it all vehicle, so you (he) has to prioritize his needs. If he's looking for somethign he can fit bikes in with both wheels on, his choices are going to be limited. If he wants lots of room to haul gear, he's got a lot more options. If he wants good gas mileage, he's got other options. There is no vehicle out there that can carry gear/bikes and get good gas mileage for a reasonably economical price.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
xterras are even smaller inside than my pathfinder due to the high floor. might be a bit taller due to that bulge in the roof but it's definitely narrower. elements are cavernous inside like a minivan (but without the social stigma), get it!

Jesus

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
Louisville, KY
MMcG said:

Off road ability is not a major concern. I take a lot of road trips, so lots of room and mileage is the main goal.

Jesus

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
Louisville, KY
Toshi said:
xterras are even smaller inside than my pathfinder due to the high floor. might be a bit taller due to that bulge in the roof but it's definitely narrower. elements are cavernous inside like a minivan (but without the social stigma), get it!
Ha! :thumb: