Quantcast

Anyone own a Honda Element?

HedgeHog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Atlanta GA
I car-pooled with someone who owned an Element for about a year. After riding in it and even driving it on occasion, I thought it had two annoying "problems"

The whole reverse opening back door is kinda impracticle. When you park beside another car in a parking space, you have to open your door, let the person in the back seat out, let them close the back door, move, then get out yourself. Kind of a hassel when you're used to a 4-door.

And,

Sitting in the back seat is weird if your even close to 6' tall. It is like your sitting with your knees on your chin. Also the view is pretty crappy. Maybe it is just because I'm a little tall, but several people made the same comments.

Over-all they are pretty versatile. I considered getting one myself until I rode a few times in one.

Jesus

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
Louisville, KY
HedgeHog said:
I car-pooled with someone who owned an Element for about a year. After riding in it and even driving it on occasion, I thought it had two annoying "problems"

The whole reverse opening back door is kinda impracticle. When you park beside another car in a parking space, you have to open your door, let the person in the back seat out, let them close the back door, move, then get out yourself. Kind of a hassel when you're used to a 4-door.

And,

Sitting in the back seat is weird if your even close to 6' tall. It is like your sitting with your knees on your chin. Also the view is pretty crappy. Maybe it is just because I'm a little tall, but several people made the same comments.

Over-all they are pretty versatile. I considered getting one myself until I rode a few times in one.
The back seat isn't a biggie for me. It would rarely be used and probably be taken out most of the time. So the doors wouldn't be a major concern, and neither would back seat head room.

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
I have an '03 4WD Element and I love it to death. I use it to go to DH races and stuff, plus I use it for my daily commute. I've put 15K miles on it in ten months. A few weekends ago my teammate and I jammed two DH bikes, a mountain cross bike, and all our gear for the weekend in it and headed off to Snowshoe Resort. Lots of room.

It looks to be about the same size as a Pathfinder--I parked next to one to compare once. My ex had a Pathfinder and we could barely get two bikes in it. Plus, there's no room in the backseat!

I sleep in the Element at races, with the side vent windows open and looking at the stars through the moonroof. The bike and all my gear is on one side, and I'm laying on the other. It's the best nest ever. I also was vagrant in it a couple times at the beach, and on dates....;)

It gets 25 or so m.p.g. Plus, it's a low-emissions vehicle.

The thing handles like a Civic! I manage to zip around and squeal the tires before it feels top-heavy.

The horn is wimpy and that's my only complaint about it. I'm going to drive this thing until it's a classic. Then I'll put antique plates on it and restore it!

If anybody has questions, feel free to p.m. me.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Isn't there an electric-hybrid Element coming out? Might address the mileage concerns. I testdrove one and found the ergonomics a bit odd, but probably just fine for long cruising...just didn't feel confidence-inspiring with the way I tend to drive. That's why I ended up replacing my Nissan Frontier ('98 4x4 4cyl) with a Subaru outback sport.

Personally, I'd get the Element over an Xterra any day; I thought my Frontier was a pretty unreliable POS once it had some miles on it, and the Xterra is pretty much the same truck with a different body. I also think the standard Nissan 4 and 6cyls are pretty underpowered for the mileage you get. Just not impressed by Nissan after 6 years of ownership.

MD

Jesus

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
Louisville, KY
Capt. Jack Sparrow said:
I have an '03 4WD Element and I love it to death. I use it to go to DH races and stuff, plus I use it for my daily commute. I've put 15K miles on it in ten months. A few weekends ago my teammate and I jammed two DH bikes, a mountain cross bike, and all our gear for the weekend in it and headed off to Snowshoe Resort. Lots of room.

It looks to be about the same size as a Pathfinder--I parked next to one to compare once. My ex had a Pathfinder and we could barely get two bikes in it. Plus, there's no room in the backseat!

I sleep in the Element at races, with the side vent windows open and looking at the stars through the moonroof. The bike and all my gear is on one side, and I'm laying on the other. It's the best nest ever. I also was vagrant in it a couple times at the beach, and on dates....;)

It gets 25 or so m.p.g. Plus, it's a low-emissions vehicle.

The thing handles like a Civic! I manage to zip around and squeal the tires before it feels top-heavy.

The horn is wimpy and that's my only complaint about it. I'm going to drive this thing until it's a classic. Then I'll put antique plates on it and restore it!

If anybody has questions, feel free to p.m. me.
The salesman was saying you can lay down the seats and sleep on them, but was thinking it would be way uncomfortable. Is it?

Did you keep the front wheels on the bikes?

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
There you have it - hot chicks rate the Element 2 thumbs up. I'd probably trade my 4 Runner for one given the chance (not that I dislike the Toyota - for the record)

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
jacksonpt said:
yea... but you can't really compare an Xterra/4Runner with an Element - totally different vehicles.

You can't really even compair an Xterra to a 4 Runner either.

Two totally different classes of suv's.

You can compair a Pathfinder to a 4Runner though..

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
Jesus said:
The salesman was saying you can lay down the seats and sleep on them, but was thinking it would be way uncomfortable. Is it?

Did you keep the front wheels on the bikes?
Re: the wheels... if I'm transporting three bikes and gear, I take the wheels off. If it's just me, I fold up the back seats and mush 'em against the side windows, and then just chuck the bike in whole. (I have a Cannondale Gemini.) The I lay down a blanket and stack another on top if someone suddenly needs their bike transported. I have removed one of the rear seats since I never use it.

For shuttling, I put a blanket over the bottom clamshell half to protect it, and then dangle bikes out the back like it's a pick-up truck. Ya have to be a little careful since the hatch is up, but it's quite convenient for shuttling up windy mountain roads.

Sleeping: I have a few pillows I lay underneath me, and then I get in a sleeping bag. It's a little bumpy, but I've gotten some of my best sleep ever in there.

For a race in November, it might sleep two of us in there with my bike and gear inside. I think it's doable. I might just remove the second back seat and lay down some blankets (or an air mattress) on the floor.

I spent Friday night sleeping on the floor of it on a moving blanket. Or maybe I wasn't sleeping. :D

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
N8 said:
You can't really even compair an Xterra to a 4 Runner either.

Two totally different classes of suv's.

You can compair a Pathfinder to a 4Runner though..

Yeah, seriously. For those comparing an Xterra, wtf -- those things are MINISCULE compared to an Element. You can't even stand up a bike in the back without taking off the front wheel.

Same goes for the 4runner (which I have); it's bigger than the Xterra but I would die for the kind of cargo space the Element has.

Wingnut

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
Sorry, I'm Canadian ..sorry...
I don't have one. Yet. It's in my game plan for the next few months though. I've been looking into one for a year now, and think We'll be getting one as my Sentra is becoming a bit of a pain with the young one now. My wife has driven one, I have not, and she's all for it.

I sure like the look of Brocks! I've seen one in black, with the plastic parts repainted to match the rest of the sheet metal, and it sure looks nice!! T&T Honda in Calgary had one in the showroom that was lowered, with 18" Enkei racing wheels and the plastic parts painted silver. They were asking $29,900CDN, pretty good for a custom Element.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
A friend of mine has one. He is over 6'2 and he sleeps in it. Any way you try to pencil it - the Element is just more economical than any SUV out there. Good cars. Not as gutless as you would think either.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Ridemonkey said:
Not as gutless as you would think either.
maybe this is just showing that my '96 pathfinder is slow (it is) but it hauls around ~4500 lb with 170 hp. the element hauls around ~3500 lb with 160 hp, admittedly a bit more peaky since it's from a smaller I4 instead of a V6, but not too shabby compared to a "typical" suv from just a few years back.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I've had one since April. Love it to death, it's the best car I've ever owned. I did think they were ugly, but they've grown on me a little bit.

Screw how it looks though, if you don't have kids, it's about the best car an active person could get. It makes it up the hill to Big Bear just fine loaded up as well. Mileage is good on the highway, but I don't think I get 20 in the city. The headroom inside is just insane...

RD

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Boston, MA
I have an 03 AWD EX in black. I got it on July 3, 2004 and currently have roughly 34,000mi on it. It has been great to me. Awesome on gas, and incredibly comfortable.

DO NOT attempt to hose out the floor however. I had a small incident last fall with my girlfriend, a gallon jug of water and a horrible smell. The floor mat has an almost felt-like material under it. I had to rip it up and replace all of it because there was no where for the spilled water to go except soak in under the plastic flooring and grow all sorts of nasty ****. I have since purchased the all-season floor mats that cup up on all sides and hold liquid nicely. No problems:)

I traveled to many races on the east coast in it this summer and held a ton of bikes, gear and tools (I'm team mechanic for SIC components). Th eplastic in the rear got a bit scraped up, I would have much ratherd diamond plate or smooth steel or alumiinum covering back there, but it wasn't really designed to do what I was doing with it so I don't hold it at fault.

It's a great little vehicle, I highly suggest it.

MikeT

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
Hell
I've had one since august, so I guess I should give some input.

Half a year before that, I laughed when someone suggested that I should get the Honda element. It just looked like a box on wheels. and I guess thats what it is essentially. But, a lot of thought was put into it. I was sold on it once I got inside of one, and saw how easily bikes could fit in without disassembly, and the other great small features. Besides what others have mentioned, I just wanted to add couple things. The plastic panels are nice, and seem to be in just the right places, since around here the shuttle up the mountain is mostly dry, rocky, gravelly - stuff gets kicked up alot by the wheels. The 4wd is pretty nice, it picks up when u start fishtailing, which is good when theres a cliff on one side. The car has 2inches more clearence then a civic, which is good for mediocore offroad stuff, and also good because it keeps the COG low(unlike most suvs) which means it wont rollover on a dime(like most suvs - http://www.suv.org/safety.html )
other things. I found the rubber coated interior compartment things above the glove box to be awsome. They hold my mp3 player(which is also connected via the 'aux' input) in place through the rough.

one thing that I heard isn't that great, is that if u get wax on the plastic panels, it's tough to come off. Havn't waxed it yet, so I donno off hand, but its something to look into.

also here's a website with pretty good forums for the honda element -
http://www.hondaelement.org/
http://www.hondasuv.com/main2/index.php?c=2

hope that helps

-Mike T.

Anders

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
Carlsbad, CA, USA
just bought a 04 EX for $18,600. had it for 1 day, but like it a lot already. really tight fit with my dh bike, but im making a bike mount for the fork with no front wheel on it

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Okay folks...call me crazy but I'm thinking of either selling or trading in my Subaru WRX wagon for an Element. I would get a Manual 4wd EX. I know, might not be as much fun to drive as my WRX but it would be way more convenient for me and for what I do.

I want to do many road trips this summer and I think the Elements would be better suited for that. Cheaper on gas, more space, etc… Plus during the week if I want to ride before of after work, I can simply throw my bike and gear in the back without having to worry about locking my bike on the rear rack. Yeah the WRX handles better, is faster – but you can only go a certain speed limit – last thing I need is more speeding tickets.

Brock – you’re Element is flippin’ killer!! I would get either the silver, black or Magnesium metallic.

have I lost it?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Acadian said:
have I lost it?
Nope.

Different strokes, and all that. The WRX is sweet, for sure, but when you need a 4WD sport utility with good cargo space, well, that turbo charged engine and sporty handling simply do you no good at all, right?

Me, I'd be more inclined to go with a new Tacoma, but the Element is a pretty nice vehicle and you're sure as heck not crazy for wanting one. I'm sure you'll get a million people screaming about how you're crazy for wanting to get rid of the WRX, but hey, even a Ferrari sucks ass at carrying bikes...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
OR, you could go with the turbocharged Forrester and have a nice, roomy vehicle that still gets up and moves :D

I saw one guy that had the turbocharged Forrester, with a lowering kit, some bigger rims and an aftermarket exhaust... It looked slick.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
binary visions said:
OR, you could go with the turbocharged Forrester and have a nice, roomy vehicle that still gets up and moves :D

I saw one guy that had the turbocharged Forrester, with a lowering kit, some bigger rims and an aftermarket exhaust... It looked slick.
I've thought about that...but:
1) Still probably gets sucky gas mileage
2) Can’t put a bike upright in the back
3) Still need to use premium gas
4) More expensive than the Element

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Acadian said:
I've thought about that...but:
1) Still probably gets sucky gas mileage
Yep.
2) Can’t put a bike upright in the back
Nope.
3) Still need to use premium gas
Yep.
4) More expensive than the Element
Yep.

It's not really a practical answer to your problem, I was just sayin' ;).

The only reason to go that route is if you really don't want to sacrifice speed/handling. Never really been an issue for me. I like accelleration just fine, but like you, I can't afford the speeding tickets :dead:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Hmmmm...

An Element with a drop and some 15 or 16 inch Work wheels wouldn't be that bad.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
FWIW... not sure what your budget is or what an element costs, but Toyota is releasing a hybrid version of the Highlander next month. 600 miles to a tank of gas. Not sure you could stand a bike upright in it, but still decent cargo room.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
binary visions said:
The only reason to go that route is if you really don't want to sacrifice speed/handling. Never really been an issue for me. I like accelleration just fine, but like you, I can't afford the speeding tickets :dead:
that is why I ride DH - that's where I get my "speed" rush ;) Heck - even if I own a WRX, that doesn't mean I'm a speed demon on the roads. Heck, I’ve driven that thing like a grandma since buying it.... ;) The acceleration is nice tho..I'll give it that.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
An Element is what a mini-van should be, IMO. For those of you who remember Can't Climb, he had one of the early ones. He liked it. My problem with it is mid-20's for MPG out of 4-banger just ain't good enough. That's only marginally better than I get with the 5.0L V8 in my conversion van - which is much, MUCH bigger. And pales in comparison to the near 50 mpg my TDI wagon gets.

However, for the ultimate in practicality w/ great mileage, there is really only one choice:

While it's most definitely a "truck" it does have a semi-cool Euro-thing going for it. Interior room? You can literally STAND in the thing. Plus, you can swap out the Dodge stuff and source a M-B grill and badges from Europe. :devil:

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
jacksonpt said:
Except the Jeep Rubicon... there is no true off-road SUV right off the showroom floor. While Toyotas and Jeeps are best equipped to be turned into off-road rigs - in stock form they make excellent gear haulers. Down side for most people is gas mileage. In which case, I suggest the hybrid Toyota Highlander - a bit pricey, but 600 miles on a tank of gas, built on the camry platform for smooth, comfy ride, and has decent space can be very appealing.

There is no do it all vehicle, so you (he) has to prioritize his needs. If he's looking for somethign he can fit bikes in with both wheels on, his choices are going to be limited. If he wants lots of room to haul gear, he's got a lot more options. If he wants good gas mileage, he's got other options. There is no vehicle out there that can carry gear/bikes and get good gas mileage for a reasonably economical price.
Everything you say here is true.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
jacksonpt said:
FWIW... not sure what your budget is or what an element costs, but Toyota is releasing a hybrid version of the Highlander next month. 600 miles to a tank of gas. Not sure you could stand a bike upright in it, but still decent cargo room.
We already have a 5-6 month waiting list. Although it will be the "perfect" vehicle, Space of a suv with gas milage in the 30's. Only draw back is the $$$$

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
My wife and I are seriously looking into an Element too. Its pretty much perfect for our needs. I'll either get that or just replace it with another mazda/ranger PU but that may not be that practical in the future... My wife is getting these weird ideas. How is the element for totin' a baby? Anybody know?

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
jacksonpt said:
"we"... do you work at a dealer? Any word on sticker price of the hybrid highlander?
Yeah, I work at a toyota dealership. The highlander hybrid SR5 will run about the same as a current highlander limited. Also you won't see any discounts.

Trouble

Chimp
Sep 16, 2004
Funky Town
Lexx D said:
We already have a 5-6 month waiting list. Although it will be the "perfect" vehicle, Space of a suv with gas milage in the 30's. Only draw back is the $$$$
I bet highway it doesn't break 24 mpg.

:think:

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Ian F said:
My problem with it is mid-20's for MPG out of 4-banger just ain't good enough.
I've been seriously looking for a replacement for my 2000 Toyota Tacoma PU (better gas mileage and room for the baby) - my short list included the Element until I checked the gas mileage.........I'd like to get at least 30 mpg on the highway. So in the mean time I've been considering:

Subaru Imprezza Wagon/Outback Sport

Subaru Forester (wifes favorite)

Mazda 3 Wagon

All run in the high teen's low 20's as far as price, mpg is about comparable plus because my wife is a Speech Therapist she gets a Subaru discount through the national association of speech therapist..............

If only the Elemant got better gas mileage, I think I'd go that direction.