Quantcast

Anyone own a Honda Element?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Acadian said:
that is why I ride DH - that's where I get my "speed" rush ;) Heck - even if I own a WRX, that doesn't mean I'm a speed demon on the roads. Heck, I’ve driven that thing like a grandma since buying it.... ;) The acceleration is nice tho..I'll give it that.
Yeah right, Grandma. ;) I tried following you on the 80 after Northstar a couple years ago. You were gone!

I don't think the trade is worth it IMO. For marginally better fuel eco, marginally better space and less zip and style. But thats just my read on it.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Zark said:
Yeah right, Grandma. ;) I tried following you on the 80 after Northstar a couple years ago. You were gone!

I don't think the trade is worth it IMO. For marginally better fuel eco, marginally better space and less zip and style. But thats just my read on it.
:p --- busted!! ;)

I was also thinking - if i get an Element, then EVERYONE will expect me to drive everywhere... :nope:

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Acadian said:
:p --- busted!! ;)

I was also thinking - if i get an Element, then EVERYONE will expect me to drive everywhere... :nope:
That's what happened to me when i had my Xterra.

brock

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Tacoma, WA
Acadian – I got your PM but figured I’d reply in public for everyone’s benefit.

We are still totally pleased with our Element.

RE: Gas Mileage. I don’t check it since I don’t get to drive it. It was never something I was worried about anyway.

RE: The squat in the pics. It does squat with a couple of DH bikes cantilevered off the back on a Sportworks. We went to Whistler opening weekend with Four people in the car, gear and three Gemini’s hanging off the back. I was getting a little tire rub on the outside (wider wheels and tires though) on big bumps.

The only complaint I have is one that has been mentioned in this thread already. The rear suicide door is impractical in a parking lot next to other cars. It did not take long to figure out to park in the back of the lot and walk if you have more than two people in the car.

I would buy the same car again today with no reservations whatsoever.

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
The Elements handling is gonna be like a civic, the WRX can blow it off the road. But if you're looking for a more utility type vehicle, and save your testosterone for the trail that might be the ticket. I doubt he wants a truck since he doesn't tow or go offroading. One big positive of the Element vs. WRX is your gas consumption. The Element runs on good ol' 87, while your WRX sucks down the premium. Gas mileage is probably not gonna be much different than what you're getting in a WRX if you go with the 4WD Element.

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
No way the Element is gonna beat 30 mpg.

5-Speed Manual (City/Highway; 2WD) 21/25

4-Speed Automatic (City/Highway; 2WD) 22/26

5-Speed Manual (City/Highway; 4WD) 21/24

4-Speed Automatic (City/Highway; 4WD) 21/24

These are the EPA #'s, which means that you are probably gonna have to granny it to get them.

Trouble

Chimp
Sep 16, 2004
Funky Town
Lexx D said:
Ok, how much would you like to bet?
Highway, fully loaded, hilly, on my work commute.. no traffic 85 mph..
Bet it only gets 24.

I borrowed a Prius for a few days to check the milage against my TDI...
Set the cruise and drove it EXACTLY the same as my Golf TDI.
Got a lousy 34 mpg on my section of highway.. My Golf gets 48 day in, day out. 45 mpg lifetime average over the last 140k miles.

Give me a modern turbo charged direct injection diesel over a hybrid any day.
The Prius sounding like 4 squirrels caught in a dryer trying to go 80 mph. Not to mention the abysmal pickup it had, 70-80 mph accelearation was 10+ seconds!!

I used to work at a Toyota Stealership.. I know the drill. But a highlander will not get 28 mpg on a rural interstate highway at today's driving speeds. No braking to recharge batteries, no coasting, and running 80-85 mph.. Ain't going to happen.

A D4-D Highlander might break 30 mpg though. Course Toyota won't bring it here. Bastiges.

-JW

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
i know i may be chiming in on this a bit late, but i have been looking into the diesel vs hybrid/super efficient gas cars argument lately
while diesel power may be superior to the hybrids right now, it wont be in the near future. i believe in 2007 the DOT will be upping its particulate requirements for diesel emmision to be 90% stricter than it is now. more strict than anywhere on the planet. the major auto makers are working on making their exaust and engines more efficient, but it will come at a good premium. add the cost of this developement into the cost of a new vehicle and you may be looking at a diesel version costing upwards of $5-7k over a comprably equipted gas burning auto. this along with the increasing cost of diesel fuel and you will be looking at upwards of 200,000mi to recoup that premium

are diesels more powerful? yep
more reliable? probalby
better mpg? on highways yes - stop and go, no

but the cost per mile, while close to hybrids/super efficient gas cars now, plan on seeing that change in the near future.

Trouble

Chimp
Sep 16, 2004
Funky Town
luken8r said:
i know i may be chiming in on this a bit late, but i have been looking into the diesel vs hybrid/super efficient gas cars argument lately
while diesel power may be superior to the hybrids right now, it wont be in the near future. i believe in 2007 the DOT will be upping its particulate requirements for diesel emmision to be 90% stricter than it is now. more strict than anywhere on the planet. the major auto makers are working on making their exaust and engines more efficient, but it will come at a good premium. add the cost of this developement into the cost of a new vehicle and you may be looking at a diesel version costing upwards of $5-7k over a comprably equipted gas burning auto. this along with the increasing cost of diesel fuel and you will be looking at upwards of 200,000mi to recoup that premium

are diesels more powerful? yep
more reliable? probalby
better mpg? on highways yes - stop and go, no

but the cost per mile, while close to hybrids/super efficient gas cars now, plan on seeing that change in the near future.
Hybrids will never never replace a normal combustion engine for most of the country. Maybe in cities and congested urban sprawls.. but I certainly ain't living there.

The technology currently exists to meet the upcoming 2007 EPA standards. You just can't do it without USLD (ultra-low sulfur diesel) which comes out next year (supposedly). They already meet it in Europe. They already have diesel/electric hybrids in development. They already have cars that shut off and restart in stop and go traffic (without being a hybrid).

Lifetime cost per mile on my current ride.. 12.5 cents a mile.
That includes fuel, tires, insurance, all maintenance and repairs.
36-38 thousand highway miles year..

Start looking at European Teir 4 standards, and comparing them to proposed EPA 2007...

-JW

Archslater

Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
Indianapolis
I bought a new awd element a few months ago. The main downside is that it is a little slow compared to my old Integra GS-R - especially since my wife sadly talked me into getting a automatic, since she commutes with it twice a week. The fwd manuals are much quicker.

I couldn't be happier with the element though. The wash out rubber floor is great for mountain bikes, and kids. The seats are also completely waterproof and stain resistant. Another perk is the dash MP3 jack, MP3 capable cd player, XM radio and 7 speaker sound system with a center mounted subwoofer (all standard for 2005).

All in all comparing them to the Xterra is apples and oranges. The Xterra is a more serious off-road vehicle, but also has more serious emmisions and gas mileage. The element's awd works just fine for accessing the trails that most of us ride and is so practical in other ways.

just my 2 cents....

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Trouble said:
I borrowed a Prius for a few days to check the milage against my TDI...
Set the cruise and drove it EXACTLY the same as my Golf TDI.
Got a lousy 34 mpg on my section of highway.. My Golf gets 48 day in, day out. 45 mpg lifetime average over the last 140k miles.
And if you did your same little test in city stop and go traffic you would have gotten in the 55-60 out of the prius. The other nice thing about the prius isn't only mpg it's emissions. You can drive from new york to texas and back, and do less harm to the enviroment than using a can of raid. Deisel is the way to go but the majority of the american market does not want them, we have done the research.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Andyman_1970 said:
I've been seriously looking for a replacement for my 2000 Toyota Tacoma PU (better gas mileage and room for the baby) - my short list included the Element until I checked the gas mileage.........I'd like to get at least 30 mpg on the highway. So in the mean time I've been considering:

Subaru Imprezza Wagon/Outback Sport

Subaru Forester (wifes favorite)

Mazda 3 Wagon

All run in the high teen's low 20's as far as price, mpg is about comparable plus because my wife is a Speech Therapist she gets a Subaru discount through the national association of speech therapist..............

If only the Elemant got better gas mileage, I think I'd go that direction.
Don't hold your breath for gas mileage in a Subaru - especialy the Forrester. I know it says 30 mpg on the website, but that's under ideal conditions.

Subie's are great cars and I love 'em, but their real-world MPG ratings have plummeted since they switched to full-time AWD - basically killing any chance of me buying another Subaru. I've owned one other AWD car since then (Audi A4 Avant) and it only confirmed to me that AWD is a waste of gas. My TDI has taken me places in the snow I had no business even attempting to go and that was before installing snow tires.

My old '82 4WD wagon didn't even have an overdrive trans, but would get 30 mpg on the highway - because I kept it in FWD the 95% of the time I didn't need it. If that car had a 5 spd and had A/C, I'd probably still be driving it (or what was left of it after the rust...).

My mother's '95 Legacy wagon gets 20 mpg on a good day. And she drives like.. well... my mother! :rolleyes:

Ghettorigged's '97 Forrester (admittedly in dire need of a tune-up) is getting in the mid teens - about the same as my V8 van! :(

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Ian F said:
<snip>
My mother's '95 Legacy wagon gets 20 mpg on a good day. And she drives like.. well... my mother! :rolleyes:
That's odd. My '95 Legacy got 25 mixed driving. I could eek out 27 on the highway, but only if everything was in my favor.

Ghettorigged's '97 Forrester (admittedly in dire need of a tune-up) is getting in the mid teens - about the same as my V8 van! :(
Just filled up my '97 Outback (same motor, I think, as in the Forester) - 26mpg in mixed driving. I've seen as high as 28 on this car on the highway.

I still wish they got 35mpg. :mad:

-S.S.-

PoserNewbie

Monkey
Feb 14, 2003
Lower Mainland, BC
Acadian said:
Okay folks...call me crazy but I'm thinking of either selling or trading in my Subaru WRX wagon for an Element. I would get a Manual 4wd EX. I know, might not be as much fun to drive as my WRX but it would be way more convenient for me and for what I do.

I want to do many road trips this summer and I think the Elements would be better suited for that. Cheaper on gas, more space, etc… Plus during the week if I want to ride before of after work, I can simply throw my bike and gear in the back without having to worry about locking my bike on the rear rack. Yeah the WRX handles better, is faster – but you can only go a certain speed limit – last thing I need is more speeding tickets.

Brock – you’re Element is flippin’ killer!! I would get either the silver, black or Magnesium metallic.

have I lost it?
DO it man!!! I just bought one 5sp AWD and I'm loving it so far. Installed a 2" receiver hitch and slap my bike rack and I'm good to go.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
PoserNewbie said:
DO it man!!! I just bought one 5sp AWD and I'm loving it so far. Installed a 2" receiver hitch and slap my bike rack and I'm good to go.
oh you did? which color did you get and how long have you had it for?

how is the power?

PoserNewbie

Monkey
Feb 14, 2003
Lower Mainland, BC
Acadian said:

how is the power?
It is Magnesium Grey and I have had it for about a month now. With gas price breaking $1.00 a litre up here, it just makes more sense to pass the Pathfinder to my wife since she doesn't drive that much. I took out one of the rear seat and fold the other one and I can easily wheel in my bike when I'm at work. Oh, the power is decent and not as underpowered as I thought but the 5sp transmission help quite a bit.

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
My friend has an Element. I like the interior, it's really easy to clean and there is alot of leg room. Definitely a good vehicle for taking dirty bikes in. If I didn't own a truck, I would probably own one of those.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Acadian said:

how is the power?
Luc,
My wife has a newer CRV that has the same exact engine as the element.
You would not think a 160 hp 4 cylinder would pull that car around like it does, but its crazy. It has good pickup in the whole RPM range, and cruises comfortably on the the interstate.
I know the Element has a stiffer suspension for a sportier ride and to make up for its high roof, but I do not think you would be disappointed.
Don't get me wrong, it's not fast, but it kinda feels that way.
But if you have heart set on the Element, don't test drive a new Tacoma.
I still can't wipe the smile off of my face every time I drive it. :D

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
PoserNewbie said:
By the way, are you heading up here again this summer?
yes I want to make it up there a few times this summer...as a matter of fact I might be in Van ripping the shore shortly...check your e-mail.

Thanks Jeremy...I've thought about the Tacoma, but it drinks even MORE gas than my WRX. :(

PoserNewbie

Monkey
Feb 14, 2003
Lower Mainland, BC
Jeremy R said:
Luc,
My wife has a newer CRV that has the same exact engine as the element.
You would not think a 160 hp 4 cylinder would pull that car around like it does, but its crazy. It has good pickup in the whole RPM range, and cruises comfortably on the the interstate.
I know the Element has a stiffer suspension for a sportier ride and to make up for its high roof, but I do not think you would be disappointed.
Don't get me wrong, it's not fast, but it kinda feels that way.
But if you have heart set on the Element, don't test drive a new Tacoma.
I still can't wipe the smile off of my face every time I drive it. :D
True, I was torn between the Tacoma and the Element but I need an enclosed storage space. Some people suggested that I can put a cab on the Tacoma but that kinda beat the purpose. Besides, the Tacoma cost more money.

PoserNewbie

Monkey
Feb 14, 2003
Lower Mainland, BC
jdschall said:
My wife and I are seriously looking into an Element too. Its pretty much perfect for our needs. I'll either get that or just replace it with another mazda/ranger PU but that may not be that practical in the future... My wife is getting these weird ideas. How is the element for totin' a baby? Anybody know?
If your baby is still in the rear facing seat, it can be a challenge to strap them in unless you have a baby seat with the base attached in permanently in the car. My boy is 17mos old so he is facing forward now and it is actually not that bad.

Trouble

Chimp
Sep 16, 2004
Funky Town
Lexx D said:
And if you did your same little test in city stop and go traffic you would have gotten in the 55-60 out of the prius. The other nice thing about the prius isn't only mpg it's emissions. You can drive from new york to texas and back, and do less harm to the enviroment than using a can of raid. Deisel is the way to go but the majority of the american market does not want them, we have done the research.
Well.. I don't live in a city, and i sure as hell don't plan too either.

FWIW my TDI running on Bio-Diesel is pretty damn carbon neutral.

I bet I'd use a hell of a lot less Bio-D from NYC to Tejas and back than the Prius would.. :evil:

Trouble

Chimp
Sep 16, 2004
Funky Town
oh.. and give it a year or two of ULSD here in the USA.
Honda's bringing in diesel's next year..

and wait till Hybrid owners revolt, due to lack of perceived milage, and battery replacement costs.

I'm holding out for a diesel Element.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Trouble said:
FWIW my TDI running on Bio-Diesel is pretty damn carbon neutral.

I bet I'd use a hell of a lot less Bio-D from NYC to Tejas and back than the Prius would.. :evil:
You are now arguing something that is not an option for "today's" driver

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Trouble said:
oh.. and give it a year or two of ULSD here in the USA.
Honda's bringing in diesel's next year..

and wait till Hybrid owners revolt, due to lack of perceived milage, and battery replacement costs.
Read about the warranty on the battery then chime back in. I'm not saying that hybrids are the end all but they are a very good option that is availble today! Along your reasoning diesel is pointless because the hydrogen fuel cell is much more practical.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Ian F said:
Don't hold your breath for gas mileage in a Subaru - especialy the Forrester. I know it says 30 mpg on the website, but that's under ideal conditions.

Subie's are great cars and I love 'em, but their real-world MPG ratings have plummeted since they switched to full-time AWD - basically killing any chance of me buying another Subaru. I've owned one other AWD car since then (Audi A4 Avant) and it only confirmed to me that AWD is a waste of gas. My TDI has taken me places in the snow I had no business even attempting to go and that was before installing snow tires.

My old '82 4WD wagon didn't even have an overdrive trans, but would get 30 mpg on the highway - because I kept it in FWD the 95% of the time I didn't need it. If that car had a 5 spd and had A/C, I'd probably still be driving it (or what was left of it after the rust...).

Thanks for the info.

I'd be interested in any other Subie owners on here as to what gas mileage they are getting...................

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Lexx D said:
Read about the warranty on the battery then chime back in. I'm not saying that hybrids are the end all but they are a very good option that is availble today! Along your reasoning diesel is pointless because the hydrogen fuel cell is much more practical.
Yeah pay more for a car that only gets marginally better mileage than say the econo version of the Honda Civic (normal not the hybrid).

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Andyman_1970 said:
Thanks for the info.

I'd be interested in any other Subie owners on here as to what gas mileage they are getting...................
I drive an 02 impreza 2.5RS. With my snowboard rack(no boards just the thule) i got about 21mpg, with boards it was about 19-20. I took the snowboard attachment off and seem to get around 25 average now.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Andyman_1970 said:
Yeah pay more for a car that only gets marginally better mileage than say the econo version of the Honda Civic (normal not the hybrid).
Sure in that line of thought it's not practical for everyone. But if someone was looking at $25,000 cars already then the $$ saved on gas is worth it. And many green party members love the idea of near zero emissions and 60 mpg in the city.

Trouble

Chimp
Sep 16, 2004
Funky Town
Lexx D said:
You are now arguing something that is not an option for "today's" driver
Local oil distributor..
Just got off the phone.
B100 $1.99 a gallon road taxes paid, 100 gallon minimum..
I already got an empty 275 gallon tank in my basement.

Try again.

Besides I make my own for $0.53 a gallon (time, materials, and electircity accounted for).

:stupid:

Don't get me wrong. Hybrids are a step in the right direction. They are great for city folks, and those with urban stop and go commutes. But for the rest of the drivers.. they are not the ticket.

If Toyota would bring a D4-D over in a Tacoma, they couldn't keep them on the lots.

Trouble

Chimp
Sep 16, 2004
Funky Town
Lexx D said:
Nothing like losing 60-90% of your energy before it gets to your fuel tank.
Hydrogen is a crackpot's diversionary pipedream. Wish it wasn't but you have way too many losses.

Intial energy produced, 35%-60% efficient
Line losses ~20% 9if there is any distance more than a m10 miles involved.
Electroysis is ~45-55% efficient.
Pumping losses, pressurization losses, and energy it takes to drive compressers, etc.
Transportation losses etc.

all that for something that contains 1/10th the energy content of a gallon of gasoline? :nopity:

I want whatever they are smoking.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Trouble said:
Local oil distributor..
Just got off the phone.
B100 $1.99 a gallon road taxes paid, 100 gallon minimum..
I already got an empty 275 gallon tank in my basement.

Try again.
Dude. "Today's driver" is *NOT* going to keep a 250 gallon fuel tank in/around his house or make biodiesel themselves. I just don't see it happening any time soon.

-S.S.-