Quantcast

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Dude, that was reference to getting devices and products into a clinical setting. Very different stuff than production and marketed products....
is it though? what you were advocating previously was taking a device and putting it to use in for an application that it isn't indicated for and without the appropriate V&V for those indications.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
well.. some official data in developing countries.

Day 37 of lockdown. It was reported today 42% of the people in the contry has no job or zero income at this point.

Thousands have been seen walking 200-300 miles (!), leaving the main cities and moving to back to the countryside (supposedly to the house of family members as they cant afford housing/food anymore).
Shit, that will really contribute to the spreading. :(

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Did you just figure this out? Douglas County made that assumption weeks ago.
It was my assumption for the last several weeks, but it just became official last night. I believe several districts in town are still pretending like they might finish out the school year. Remember, this is El Paso county. We've only had electricity and running indoor water for about 25 years.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
It was my assumption for the last several weeks, but it just became official last night. I believe several districts in town are still pretending like they might finish out the school year. Remember, this is El Paso county. We've only had electricity and running indoor water for about 25 years.
I'm so happy that when it was time to allocate the accounts throughout Colorado, I got to choose to NOT have EPC.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
There’s a good video floating on FB with a guy at an anti-sheltering Trump rally, yelling about how it’s not his responsibility to take care of others. Funny. All the Jesus signs around give me the impression that Genesis 4:9 “brother’s keeper” thing might be important to you. Though, Genesis is the old “Jewish” section of the Bible.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Here are the factors as I see them now:
Age. (Older is deader.)
Preexisting conditions.
Cross resistance from previous common corona infections. (They cause colds)
Initial infection load. (If some jackass coughs straight into your eyeballs versus picking up a sprinkling on your hands)
Level of genetic susceptibility. (Pure Darwin.)

Last edited:

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
It's been a few days since I saw that Swedish video, but I remeber him claiming that this will be no worse than a severe flu season for Sweden, which amounts to about 2000 deaths. Sweden will have passed that number by the weekend at the latest and are nowhere near herd immunity. He also claimed that the UK would have levelled of at 12000 deaths had they followed Sweden's strategy when they were already at 13000 when the video was recorded.

The guy is obviously an expert in his field and everybody is learning as this situation keeps on developing, but some of his statements are hard to reconcile with what has already happened, for instance his claims that social distancing is ineffective and that South Korea has given up on controlling the virus. Antibody studies haven't been much to write home about so far, but attributing the reduction in Sweden's infection rate solely to developing herd immunity strikes me as questionable.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Antibody studies haven't been much to write home about so far, but attributing the reduction in Sweden's infection rate solely to developing herd immunity strikes me as questionable.
Did he say that?
He said initially that the weak would die first, spiking initially and then flattening once darwin had his way.
I read somewhere else, and it's something that he touched on, that a disproportionate number of cases in sweden were immigrants (25% of their pop?) and that the messaging to those groups (due to language, cultural differences etc) was insufficient in hindsight.

His numbers may be off, but compared to the wild-eyed projections, appear more reality based.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Did he say that?
Not that explicitly. I conflated his views on the ineffectiveness of social distancing with statements from the Swedish Health Ministry and his successor Tegnell, who speculated that the lowering infection rate was due to increasing herd immunity and not social distancing.

Everyone is flying blind at the moment and even the countries that enact much harsher social distancing measures are still aiming for herd immunity, just stretched out over a longer timeline or hoping to be save by a vaccine at some point. By the way, since you are in Mass, the Broad institute has been putting out some rather interesting and wide ranging videos on Covid 19: https://www.broadinstitute.org/videos

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
compared to the wild-eyed projections
The initial quoted Imperial estimates for the UK were if no mitigation was performed.

The IHME estimates, which now seem a bit low (no surprise due to their curve fitting setup's assumptions and our idiocy), were assuming full social distancing.

The models may have screwed the pooch with regard to hospital bed and ventilator usage, sure, but they still were in the right ballpark generally.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Not that explicitly. I conflated his views on the ineffectiveness of social distancing with statements from the Swedish Health Ministry and his successor Tegnell, who speculated that the lowering infection rate was due to increasing herd immunity and not social distancing.

Everyone is flying blind at the moment and even the countries that enact much harsher social distancing measures are still aiming for herd immunity, just stretched out over a longer timeline or hoping to be save by a vaccine at some point. By the way, since you are in Mass, the Broad institute has been putting out some rather interesting and wide ranging videos on Covid 19: https://www.broadinstitute.org/videos
Thanks for the link.
It will certainly be interesting, as data becomes available, to see how the various theories/approaches pan out.

Herd immunity/vaccines seem like a pipe dream at this point. Societies are going to need to learn how to live and function with covid going forward.