Quantcast

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
My kids are loaded with work.
I think it's bullshit at this time as they're struggling with the reality of the situation.
We're not going to push them until next week.
Both are 4.0 gpa kids but, like my wifes daily conference calls, this just feels like busy work.
Unfortunately it is just busywork. Teachers weren't given much time to prepare lessons, and some schools don't have any IT infrastructure worth a shit to help them teach online, so they made "a packet" aka busy work in bulk. I'm hoping somebody somewhere takes some time to thoroughly explain the situation to kids, that's maybe our only hope of turning into a smart enough populace to avoid this exact situation happening about every 5th time somebody in a developing country eats some particularly sketchy bush-meat.

Here's my controversial thought of the day.

Maybe it's a good thing Trump is in charge right now. Hear me out...

I personally don't think any typical Western nation is equipped to handle this very well (see every other nation for evidence, they're all fucked), some better than others, but non are are doing an legitimately good job. It was always going to come to this, food shortages, quarantine and people dying. However, can you imagine the push-back from the right if Obama was in charge right now? They're kind of taking this seriously despite it being a "Dem hoax, PPANDEMIC = DEM PANIC amiright?" because their dear leader is starting to talk about it seriously. Obama proposing a national lock down, in an election year, the herp-derp over that would be monumental. Sneezing on people to resist "Obummer" would definitely become a thing.

What about economic stimulus? Can you imagine if Hilary or Obama were in charge and proposing sending every American a check for $1000? there'd be a revolution.

As much as some people like the thought of dumb people being purged, they'd take the rest of us out with them, and I'll take a poorly managed recovery over half the population dying and likely taking my kid or my parents with them.

That ends today's unpopular, but maybe accurate thought.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Unfortunately it is just busywork. Teachers weren't given much time to prepare lessons, and some schools don't have any IT infrastructure worth a shit to help them teach online, so they made "a packet" aka busy work in bulk. I'm hoping somebody somewhere takes some time to thoroughly explain the situation to kids, that's maybe our only hope of turning into a smart enough populace to avoid this exact situation happening about every 5th time somebody in a developing country eats some particularly sketchy bush-meat.

Here's my controversial thought of the day.

Maybe it's a good thing Trump is in charge right now. Hear me out...

I personally don't think any typical Western nation is equipped to handle this very well (see every other nation for evidence, they're all fucked), some better than others, but non are are doing an legitimately good job. It was always going to come to this, food shortages, quarantine and people dying. However, can you imagine the push-back from the right if Obama was in charge right now? They're kind of taking this seriously despite it being a "Dem hoax, PPANDEMIC = DEM PANIC amiright?" because their dear leader is starting to talk about it seriously. Obama proposing a national lock down, in an election year, the herp-derp over that would be monumental. Sneezing on people to resist "Obummer" would definitely become a thing.

What about economic stimulus? Can you imagine if Hilary or Obama were in charge and proposing sending every American a check for $1000? there'd be a revolution.

As much as some people like the thought of dumb people being purged, they'd take the rest of us out with them, and I'll take a poorly managed recovery over half the population dying and likely taking my kid or my parents with them.

That ends today's unpopular, but maybe accurate thought.
in your opinion, what would a "good job" of handling this pandemic look like?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Funny, after I posted that I walking into kitchen and found my 17yo working on a research paper.
Once he digested reality, and played 12hrs of GTA, he needed the mental activity and sense of purpose.
I think most people will get to this point once they come to terms with new-normal.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
You didn’t ask me, but I’d defer to the scientists from the get-go.
Agreed, but it doesn't seem any nation really did that.
Everyone was too afraid to disrupt society/instill panic/risk their economy to take action until they were forced to.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Pretty much how it went down at my wifes school. Thursday evening email went out saying the schools would close following monday. No prep time, no lead time, school has 1 IT guy. The infrastructure for any sort of real "distance" or on-line learning just isn't there, even if you assume that every kid even has access to a computer and internet, which is definitely not true for some of those kids. And in my wifes case, what 2nd grader is going to sit still long enough in front of a computer to learn a damn thing unless a parent is in the back ground cracking the proverbial whip? MAYBE you can pull that off with older kids.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
They are basically saying on our local news that it's most likely school will not be back in session this year. So, my kids will likely have a few months of doing jack shit. At least my oldest is way ahead of the curve in only 1st grade, so I don't think it would matter if he does nothing for the rest of the school year. My wife is cleared to be off for a bit if needed, but I don't think that's going to cover 3-4 months.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Pretty much how it went down at my wifes school. Thursday evening email went out saying the schools would close following monday. No prep time, no lead time, school has 1 IT guy. The infrastructure for any sort of real "distance" or on-line learning just isn't there, even if you assume that every kid even has access to a computer and internet, which is definitely not true for some of those kids. And in my wifes case, what 2nd grader is going to sit still long enough in front of a computer to learn a damn thing unless a parent is in the back ground cracking the proverbial whip? MAYBE you can pull that off with older kids.
My wife is AP at a very poor school and the frigging kids don't even have internet at home. District office says "send the laptops home." First of all, they only have laptops for like 20% of the kids. Second, HAVING A LAPTOP DOES NOT MEAN YOU HAVE INTERNET.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
small silver lining, LA can breathe (again) -- similarly there's been pushback against putting people in jail for stupid ish which is good because when Marshall law comes they'll need those beds ;)

1584546555508.png

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Driving back and forth to work (SoCal) has basically felt like a holiday. Even some co-workers with the normally worst commutes are saying there is minimal to no traffic.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
small silver lining, LA can breathe (again) -- similarly there's been pushback against putting people in jail for stupid ish which is good because when Marshall law comes they'll need those beds ;)

View attachment 142211
Be careful - that's the start of commie-pinko thinking right there. Next thing you'll be recommending *functional* public transportation options, etc. :disgust1:

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
Perpetuating hate is not what we need right now let's get through this together and then when it's over we can hate each other again

Seriously we should not wish this virus on anyone. bad people will get what they deserve in the end my dad was an abusive person he had a heart attack while burning some brush collapsed and burned to death he had ashes and 2nd burns in his lungs the coroner said he died a horrible death

Please let's be civil my fellow monkeys

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

1:15:57 if it doesn't cue up there. Trump was very aware of the pandemic team being fired… by his administration.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Timing is everything.
My wife is asthmatic. She spent a week in the hossy early last summer with a serious lung infection. She is the purchasing agent for said local hospital, so essential service and required to go into the office. Her breathing has had a bit of a rattle the last couple of days with a pretty good cough developing. Finally talked her into heading upstairs and having it checked out.

She has walking pneumonia and is now on a shit ton of meds. Still at her desk and still planning on going in tomorrow.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Timing is everything.
My wife is asthmatic. She spent a week in the hossy early last summer with a serious lung infection. She is the purchasing agent for said local hospital, so essential service and required to go into the office. Her breathing has had a bit of a rattle the last couple of days with a pretty good cough developing. Finally talked her into heading upstairs and having it checked out.

She has walking pneumonia and is now on a shit ton of meds. Still at her desk and still planning on going in tomorrow.
She needs a covid-19 test, and should be isolated until this test comes back. Make a stink until this happens. Pneumonia can be caused by it--not necessarily bacteria!

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Friend of mine just got ghosted by a guy she was dating. He claimed in a text that he got COVID19 exposed the day after their last date. Then silence.

I think he spelled “met another girl” wrong.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I need an air shock pump. I went to take the girls for a ride yeterday & mine borke, so I rode on a flat shock lol
TO THE AMAZON for a bidet & shcok pump

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I think I just lost a good, 15 year old friend over the politics of Trump dragging his feet. We have argued forever, and generally had fun with it. He is super butt-hurt about being wrong...

edit: he’s fine, just butthurt.
fuckin‘ Trumpie (my only token redneck, dumbfuck #MAGA friend)

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
in your opinion, what would a "good job" of handling this pandemic look like?
As Toshi said, listen to the goddamn scientists, do what they recommend, and do it when they recommend it. Basically the same thing we're doing today, but do it much, much earlier. Nobody would stand for it, and it would be political suicide to even attempt to lock down the Country prior to a virus actually spreading. So I guess it's not a question of good or bad, but are we better or worse. If Germany, Canada, GB etc are considered at 9 out of 10 for their response, we're at worst an 8.9, but if you consider us a 1, then they're at best a 1.1.

We're reactive, always have been, probably always will be because we're terrible at accepting existential threats as real threats. A strategic stockpile of supplies like masks, gowns, etc would be prudent, this type of pandemic has always been on the horizon, and the CDC has not created a stockpile in preparation for it, they're unprepared because there's no political will to do so. The idea of hospitals running out of $1 masks and potentially wiping out healthcare workers is pathetic, but that's a matter or preparation not response, it's also a problem everywhere, so it's neither specifically a Trump nor an American failing. Firing the pandemic response team was stupid, no argument there, but that's not why we're in the situation we're currently in.

Trump's definitely a moron, I think we can all agree on that, I just disagree that everything is entirely his fault all the time. Some of those departments he's managing poorly, were always a little shitty.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Denver will be on full lockdown er....shleter in place soon.
oh boy man, never thought I would see this actaully go down.