Quantcast

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Denver will be on full lockdown er....shleter in place soon.
oh boy man, never thought I would see this actaully go down.
It should have become obvious once we saw the large number of people that were like, "Let's go to Moab! Oh - it's closed. Well - we'll go to Fruita! Closed? Let's hit Gooseberry/Virgin! Oh, wait. Closed? Well, let's head to Sedona!!"

We are our own worst enemy. :disgust1:

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
It should have become obvious once we saw the large number of people that were like, "Let's go to Moab! Oh - it's closed. Well - we'll go to Fruita! Closed? Let's hit Gooseberry/Virgin! Oh, wait. Closed? Well, let's head to Sedona!!"

We are our own worst enemy. :disgust1:
the amount of cyclists, hikers and day trippers from the flats up in our canyon is unsettling. >.<

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
the amount of cyclists, hikers and day trippers from the flats up in our canyon is unsettling. >.<
Tomorrows 12" of snow should help with that for a couple of days. Then everything will be fine when it warms up.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
As Toshi said, listen to the goddamn scientists, do what they recommend, and do it when they recommend it. Basically the same thing we're doing today, but do it much, much earlier. Nobody would stand for it, and it would be political suicide to even attempt to lock down the Country prior to a virus actually spreading. So I guess it's not a question of good or bad, but are we better or worse. If Germany, Canada, GB etc are considered at 9 out of 10 for their response, we're at worst an 8.9, but if you consider us a 1, then they're at best a 1.1.

We're reactive, always have been, probably always will be because we're terrible at accepting existential threats as real threats. A strategic stockpile of supplies like masks, gowns, etc would be prudent, this type of pandemic has always been on the horizon, and the CDC has not created a stockpile in preparation for it, they're unprepared because there's no political will to do so. The idea of hospitals running out of $1 masks and potentially wiping out healthcare workers is pathetic, but that's a matter or preparation not response, it's also a problem everywhere, so it's neither specifically a Trump nor an American failing. Firing the pandemic response team was stupid, no argument there, but that's not why we're in the situation we're currently in.

Trump's definitely a moron, I think we can all agree on that, I just disagree that everything is entirely his fault all the time. Some of those departments he's managing poorly, were always a little shitty.
I dont think anyone said its entirely his fault.
Hes just been exceptionally bad at handling it from the start.

What you said before about how things would have been with Obama still in charge and the republicans throwing a hissy fit about it...
You might be right, what you said seems pretty plausable but we will probably never know.
However. if you have to run a country accomodating to a bunch of toddlers in order to keep them from getting upset I fear nothing is gonna save you when shit really hits the fan.

Im not a parent, but I know sometimes parents need to be strict with their kids in order to keep things from going to hell. Even if their kids get upset.
Appearently a lot of Republican voters really are a bunch of whining little kids that dont know whats good for them...

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Im not a parent, but I know sometimes parents need to be strict with their kids in order to keep things from going to hell. Even if their kids get upset.
Appearently a lot of Republican voters really are a bunch of whining little kids that dont know whats good for them...
We may be treading deep into PAWN territory here, but parenthood is a dictatorship, dictatorships work great in these situations. Obedient democracies, like obedient children, also work reasonably well (S. Korea, Japan, Israel etc.). The West is neither obedient nor a dictatorship, and I'm not sure too many of us would be happy doing whatever our leader says, simply because he said it, so perhaps it's better this way?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I dont think anyone said its entirely his fault.
Hes just been exceptionally bad at handling it from the start.

What you said before about how things would have been with Obama still in charge and the republicans throwing a hissy fit about it...
You might be right, what you said seems pretty plausable but we will probably never know.
However. if you have to run a country accomodating to a bunch of toddlers in order to keep them from getting upset I fear nothing is gonna save you when shit really hits the fan.

Dipshit that can't take responsibility, February 26: “The 15 (cases in the US) within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero.”

But ordered a lot of different elements of "medical", so we'll be ok...

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Got word from Wifey that two of her colleagues are being tested. So... we're locking down at this point. Not looking forward to having Hannah at home for the next 2 weeks... Wifey and I are going to have some fun organizing our schedules to cover Hannah, work meetings, and Haley's school.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Our tenants daughter just flew to Cancun yesterday. (10 YO). I am kinda pissed that they went ahead with their trip (14 people), the opportunities for transmission in such a large, traveling group are enormous. And she will be in the basement 24/7 when (if?) she gets back...but I can’t tell her to go somewhere else, really.

would I be a dick if I asked her to stay with her father for a few weeks?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Our tenants daughter just flew to Cancun yesterday. (10 YO). I am kinda pissed that they went ahead with their trip (14 people), the opportunities for transmission in such a large, traveling group are enormous. And she will be in the basement 24/7 when (if?) she gets back...but I can’t tell her to go somewhere else, really.

NO.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

i dunno, a lot can happen in 10 days. maybe they won't be allowed back in the US.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
We may be treading deep into PAWN territory here, but parenthood is a dictatorship, dictatorships work great in these situations. Obedient democracies, like obedient children, also work reasonably well (S. Korea, Japan, Israel etc.). The West is neither obedient nor a dictatorship, and I'm not sure too many of us would be happy doing whatever our leader says, simply because he said it, so perhaps it's better this way?
I agree with pretty much everything you said.
Im just not sure its better that way.

I think were moving away from being a soceity in which democracy is our best option.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
And this (the nihilism of youth*) is why we can't have nice things -- like ̶l̶i̶f̶e̶, liberty and the pursuit of ̶h̶a̶p̶p̶i̶n̶e̶s̶s̶ (intoxication):

via:

*To be honest, when I was 18-28 I probably would have responded the same way, and now that I'm officially an old (50) I'm amazed I made it this far.