Quantcast

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i covered my face with my shirt when i got my haircut yesterday....immeditely wiped my face with sani wipe in car when done.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I don’t think one could sue a hospital based on limited ventilator capacity. Every procedure they offer is finite.

The fact the Fed doesn’t just buy some is infuriating. Make the DoD budget pay for it and store excess units at bases, along with all the excess medical PPE they should have for national disasters.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I don’t think one could sue a hospital based on limited ventilator capacity. Every procedure they offer is finite.

The fact the Fed doesn’t just buy some is infuriating. Make Mexico pay for it and store excess units at bases, along with all the excess medical PPE they should have for national disasters.
FTFY

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle

The fact the Fed doesn’t just buy some is infuriating. Make the DoD budget pay for it and store excess units at bases, along with all the excess medical PPE they should have for national disasters.
I don't believe there are many/any out there to buy. Cuomo was on the NYT podcast yesterday talking about NY's attempts to buy used ventilators from China now that their outbreak is on the decline. Chinese production of parts used in US made ventilators is getting back on line, but new ones are still a ways out, and there's not nearly the production capacity to actually meet demand assuming anything but the most optimistic estimates are correct.

DoD has a couple thousand that have been pulled from the field and handed over the HHS. They're also mobilizing all their MASH tents and other field hospital equipment. Sitting under the flight-path to NAS Pt Mugu, there's definitely a whole lot of material moving around, never seen this many C130s and C17s moving in and out. May be a coincidence, but it is a designated quarantine site, so who knows.

Defense funding has totally dried up over the last few weeks, we've got an all hands meeting Monday, I may have some extra time to ride pretty soon, we shall see...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I don't believe there are many/any out there to buy. Cuomo was on the NYT podcast yesterday talking about NY's attempts to buy used ventilators from China now that their outbreak is on the decline. Chinese production of parts used in US made ventilators is getting back on line, but new ones are still a ways out, and there's not nearly the production capacity to actually meet demand assuming anything but the most optimistic estimates are correct.

DoD has a couple thousand that have been pulled from the field and handed over the HHS. They're also mobilizing all their MASH tents and other field hospital equipment. Sitting under the flight-path to NAS Pt Mugu, there's definitely a whole lot of material moving around, never seen this many C130s and C17s moving in and out. May be a coincidence, but it is a designated quarantine site, so who knows.

Defense funding has totally dried up over the last few weeks, we've got an all hands meeting Monday, I may have some extra time to ride pretty soon, we shall see...
one thing about the NMPA/SFDA is that they always prioritize production for domestic use over production for export.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
If some company is sitting on hundreds of ventilators/etc waiting for payment right now, they should be imprisoned.
Some moron patent troll sued a company producing tests.

Also some ventilator part producer wanted to sue some people who 3d printed those parts for 1$

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Trump is already robbing DoD funds to build the wall that Mexico was going to pay for. Say what you might about bloated military budgets, but taking more money from DoD sure as shit isnt going to come from Raytheon or Boeing.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
That turned out they sued the company before said company started working on the tests AFAIK but patent troll is a patent troll and it could hurt the company so still bad
no i was referring to the 3d printed ventilator parts. the manufacturer / patent owner wouldn't share their designs but they didn't threaten legal action.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
This comes from before they even knew patient zero.

The same site 1 month later posted this:
Yes, but the genetic analysis still stands. The summary article you linked even says:
So far, the closest match to the human coronavirus has been found in a bat in China’s Yunnan province. A study 5 published on 3 February found that the bat coronavirus shared 96% of its genetic material with the virus that causes COVID-19. Bats could have passed the virus to humans, but there are key differences between the RBD sites in the two viruses. This suggests that this specific bat coronavirus did not directly infect people, but could have been transmitted it to people through an intermediate host, say researchers.

The study they cite as (5) is the one I linked to. Further noteworthy is that it is the only one so far that is peer reviewed.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Yes, but the genetic analysis still stands. The summary article you linked even says:
So far, the closest match to the human coronavirus has been found in a bat in China’s Yunnan province. A study 5 published on 3 February found that the bat coronavirus shared 96% of its genetic material with the virus that causes COVID-19. Bats could have passed the virus to humans, but there are key differences between the RBD sites in the two viruses. This suggests that this specific bat coronavirus did not directly infect people, but could have been transmitted it to people through an intermediate host, say researchers.

The study they cite as (5) is the one I linked to. Further noteworthy is that it is the only one so far that is peer reviewed.
So again the advice should be to request your bat is cooked to at least medium, no more rare or even worse blue bat servings from here on out.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Insider trading laws don't apply to Senators last time I checked. They wrote a law to make it illegal, then shortly there afterwards underwrote it.

Burr was one of just three senators who in 2012 opposed the bill that explicitly barred lawmakers and their staff from using nonpublic information for trades and required regular disclosure of those trades. In opposing the bill, Burr argued at the time that insider trading laws already applied to members of Congress. President Barack Obama signed the bill, known as the STOCK Act, that year.

Stock transactions of lawmakers are reported in ranges. Burr’s Feb. 13 selling spree was his largest stock selling day of at least the past 14 months, according to a ProPublica review of Senate records. Unlike his typical disclosure reports, which are a mix of sales and purchases, all of the transactions were sales.

His biggest sales included companies that are among the most vulnerable to an economic slowdown. He dumped up to $150,000 worth of shares of Wyndham Hotels and Resorts, a chain based in the United States that has lost two-thirds of its value. And he sold up to $100,000 of shares of Extended Stay America, an economy hospitality chain. Shares of that company are now worth less than half of what they did at the time Burr sold.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
So my brother filled me in on the two Navy “hospital” ships. One is up on blocks right now and not seaworthy. For either, it’s usually a significantly long process to stock and prepare for a sailing. One big issue, perhaps the biggest, is that these are staffed by Navy reserve, not activity duty sailors. Guess where naval reserve doctors, nurses and health professionals work? In civilian hospitals and health organizations, so staffing these takes away from those. Evidently the idea is to take some pressure off of a few hospitals with non-related patients, but that in of itself seems like a terrible idea given how easily this is transmitted and how easily things like boats magnify that transmission rate. Once you get one person on the boat that carries the infection, it seems like it would turn into a catastrophe on the boat.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
So my brother filled me in on the two Navy “hospital” ships. One is up on blocks right now and not seaworthy. For either, it’s usually a significantly long process to stock and prepare for a sailing. One big issue, perhaps the biggest, is that these are staffed by Navy reserve, not activity duty sailors. Guess where naval reserve doctors, nurses and health professionals work? In civilian hospitals and health organizations, so staffing these takes away from those. Evidently the idea is to take some pressure off of a few hospitals with non-related patients, but that in of itself seems like a terrible idea given how easily this is transmitted and how easily things like boats magnify that transmission rate. Once you get one person on the boat that carries the infection, it seems like it would turn into a catastrophe on the boat.
"Plague ship"

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
How bad is it there?

It probably has been bad but know one noticed. They have a huge spike in diagnosis, quadrupling over 48 hours. But that is primarily related to test availability and not a significant spike in the spread of the disease. I assume this is the case everywhere.

A 22 y/o coworker of mine is showing symptoms. He tried to get checked out. Since he is in a low risk group and was only showing mild symptoms he was told to go home and was not given a test.