Quantcast

sAFETY

Chimp
Mar 5, 2007
That frame looks awesome, but I don't see the wisdom in having it replace the existing DHR. The 07/08 DHR is the gold standard of single pivot DH frames with a huge following of riders who for one reason or another prefer it over VP-style frames. Dumping the existing DHR while hoping you can capture a similar market in with the new frame seems like a bit of a risk (though a calculated one for sure).

Why not keep the DHR and introduce the new frame in addition? Dominate both the single and the VP frame world?

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I don't think the old Turner guys will scramble for the new DW link bikes.

They're sure to ride completely differently, as their linkages are NOTHING alike.
hahaha, I'm pretty sure what type of linkage and how much the same the bike rides will have nothing to do with why Homers must buy a dw linked turner.

BillT

Monkey
I predict Dave Turner will announce that after tons of research, the axle paths and all that junk are virtually the same as the previous TNT which was virtually the same as the previous Horst-linked bikes and that if you were blind-folded and put on the new bike, you couldn't tell the difference between any of them.

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
the top tube looks normal to high when it looks to could have had a low standover height.

can someone guess ... the linkage doesnt look like a DW link to me.

....looks flexy.:monkeydance:

But really, I'm not a fan by the C.G. images, maybe in real form they'll be better. But I'd be sceptical of all that fancy webing on the lower end of the DHR, doesn't look beefy enough. Many little stress risers.

I'm sure that the real deal will be different than this formation of graphix from a computer.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
That frame looks awesome, but I don't see the wisdom in having it replace the existing DHR. The 07/08 DHR is the gold standard of single pivot DH frames with a huge following of riders who for one reason or another prefer it over VP-style frames. Dumping the existing DHR while hoping you can capture a similar market in with the new frame seems like a bit of a risk (though a calculated one for sure).

Why not keep the DHR and introduce the new frame in addition? Dominate both the single and the VP frame world?
pretty tough to justify two dh platforms in the micro dh market. as good as the current frame is, the new version will fly out the door & the old would gather dust. that's the nature of the business.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I predict Dave Turner will announce that after tons of research, the axle paths and all that junk are virtually the same as the previous TNT which was virtually the same as the previous Horst-linked bikes and that if you were blind-folded and put on the new bike, you couldn't tell the difference between any of them.
Of course you couldn't tell a difference! You'd crash from the blindfold!
:brows:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
I can't imagine how long you will have to wait to get this frame...everybody will want it...i want it!
I guess I'll be the first to say I don't like the look of that DHR at all. Looks like the bastard child of a Scott Octane and a Rocky Mountain Flatline. :huh:

Last edited:

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Sooooo....I see Turner is gonna be at Interbike, but will he be at the Dirt Demo with some new steeds??!!

Gripe

Chimp
Sep 3, 2008
Sorry, i'm gonns start my first reply with a point in fact, at least as far as i can see....

I dont think i can stand much more of this friggin' Sweet, Stoked, Rad, Sick attitude to what is nothing more than a complete line of new Iron Horses with a different sticker,
Anyone who pays 1 penny more than they would for ANY Iron Horse from the last few years needs thier bumps feelin' i cant belive the crap that Turner is pedaling here, they havent even made an effort to differentiate from Iron Horse.

On the other hand, Its money for old rope, pay a license fee and run with a design that works, charge everyone for your name and a bit of bottom bracket CNC'ing hey presto your brand is re-born on the coat tails and the succes of another one.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
...cough...cough...Intense...cough....Nicolai....cough
totally different scenarios. we're talking about a company having two full-on dh frames in it's lineup; ie, similar geometries, different suspension platforms (would make for interesting a-b comparisons though). intense has a full on dh frame (m6) & a shorter travel all-rounder (socom) - fairly significant spread between the two. nicolai has deraileur & gearbox dh variations - again, significant differentiation.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Sorry, i'm gonns start my first reply with a point in fact, at least as far as i can see....

I dont think i can stand much more of this friggin' Sweet, Stoked, Rad, Sick attitude to what is nothing more than a complete line of new Iron Horses with a different sticker,
Anyone who pays 1 penny more than they would for ANY Iron Horse from the last few years needs thier bumps feelin' i cant belive the crap that Turner is pedaling here, they havent even made an effort to differentiate from Iron Horse.

On the other hand, Its money for old rope, pay a license fee and run with a design that works, charge everyone for your name and a bit of bottom bracket CNC'ing hey presto your brand is re-born on the coat tails and the succes of another one.
you obviously can't see that far then. You really have no idea on the backstory of this whole scenario do you?

Gripe

Chimp
Sep 3, 2008
you obviously can't see that far then. You really have no idea on the backstory of this whole scenario do you?
Interesting, a mind reader, why dont you enlighten the few that dare to express an adverse opinion to the norm, i'd be stoked to here it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Interesting, a mind reader, why dont you enlighten the few that dare to express an adverse opinion to the norm, i'd be stoked to here it.
There's plenty of backstory about this if you use the search function. It was a patent licensing issue, not a case of company A copying the suspension of company B.

Long and short, Ironhorse's licensing of the DW-link (patented by Dave Weagle) is up this year, and they chose not to renew as they are more or less getting out of high end bike market. Ironhorse was the only company legally allowed to produce a DW-link DH bike, so when they chose not to make it anymore, that license was up for grabs (this is my understanding of the situation). Turner, who has been making high end bikes for quite some time, apparently was the company who got it.

IMO Turner's are of much better quality that Ironhorse in the first place, and there are plenty of people out there who would agree.

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT

TE is that you?