Juano

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
my hi-use
Acadian said:
trust me I looked at almost ALL the pics hoping I would see it

no dice!! :(

Interbike perhaps?
I was told that yeti will not be at the show and so it won't be there. But what I heard of the bike is that it is different from anything out there, with some wierd bearing slide thing on the downtude. Don't ask I am just as lost in picturing what it could be. But don't worry I am told that it is going to be bad ass.

Juano

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
my hi-use
Acadian said:
wonder why they wouldn't go? especially if they have a new bike?

you likin' the Demo?
I think they are going to release it at keystone or one of those resorts where they are ging to have there dealer day. Maybe they don't have the cash?

The demo is rad as hell.

I've heard that the new giant bike infringed on the VPP patents by "accident." Like, they didn't know they had infringed until after they had made 14000 of them. Funny, because giant is also designing and manufacturing the new Santa Cruz dirt jumper. Werd :/

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
the new yeti wasnt at keystone today and all their racers(local grassroots) were there with the van

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Jestere said:
I've heard that the new giant bike infringed on the VPP patents by "accident." Like, they didn't know they had infringed until after they had made 14000 of them. Funny, because giant is also designing and manufacturing the new Santa Cruz dirt jumper. Werd :/
the VPP patent only applies in the states, just like the FSR patent. When Giant was going to release the NRS in 2000, they were going to do it internationally minus the US, and continuing the DS1 for the States. An agreement with Specialized was however reached and the NRS went to the US after all.

Its possible the same situation could happen here. Giant is too big to be stupid/negligeant or whatever when it comes to their product, and weither a new VPP based design makes it to the States probably wont bother them much.

this all stinks from rumor and innuendo anyways, sounds like some grade-a hype to me.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i've never seen a derailleur setup like this. i wonder if it has performance advantages in addition to contributing to the sub-4kg (per the article) weight of the complete bike

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
yeti was at eurobike and nobody was willing or able to share any info about the new Dh bike.

Toshi.. that derailleur on that canyon roadbike is just there because its light.

Trond

Monkey
Oct 22, 2002
Oslo, Norway
What's your thoughts on this?
It looks like a really good idea, not too much excess weight or heavy internal machinery. Only downside is the lack of more than 7-9gears if it were to be applicable for trailbike that traditionally needs a 14 gear range.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
bcd said:
zzyzx :rolleyes: leftover stickers. lol

not quite, somehow somebody in taiwan must have thought it was a shame "such a valuable brand name" was forgotten like it deserved and proceeded to brand a component line zzyzx.

seen it around here in the shops, cranks and other stuff, upper-shelf-supermarket level.

i cant wait for the next generation hanebrink made in taiwan hubs and pedals.....

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Toshi said:
i've never seen a derailleur setup like this. i wonder if it has performance advantages in addition to contributing to the sub-4kg (per the article) weight of the complete bike

i like that.
i wish that would have been how the der started.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Trond said:
What's your thoughts on this?
It looks like a really good idea, not too much excess weight or heavy internal machinery. Only downside is the lack of more than 7-9gears if it were to be applicable for trailbike that traditionally needs a 14 gear range.

splined bb for the crank chainring to move across and shift gears.

i need a close up.!

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
bcd said:

i need a close up.!
It kind of looks to me like that's what it is. Anything that is sliding like that chainring on the splined shaft is screaming mantinance. I'd **almost** rather have a standard drivetrain.

Trond

Monkey
Oct 22, 2002
Oslo, Norway
bcd said:

i need a close up.!
Yes, it's also stated that you can shift while coasting. Which means the cassette must run at all times, but how is it then connected to the splined bb? From the pic it seems like the bb will actuate the cassette.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Trond said:
Yes, it's also stated that you can shift while coasting. Which means the cassette must run at all times, but how is it then connected to the splined bb? From the pic it seems like the bb will actuate the cassette.
the chainring on the splined bb must have a freewheel in it.

maintanace wouls be cake. it is all inclosed and i bet it runs in some oil.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
bcd said:
the chainring on the splined bb must have a freewheel in it.

maintanace wouls be cake. it is all inclosed and i bet it runs in some oil.
i was attempting to design such a system, but the problem (or mystery) was the sliding drive. Linear bearings which could handle the torques loads were way too big and heavy, and it seemed that simple splined drivers (or inverted gears) available would create too much friction under load to be able to be shifted, from the spec sheets i came across.

the other worry i have is how easily the system can be accessed on the trail should everything jam up or derail.

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
zedro said:
i was attempting to design such a system, but the problem (or mystery) was the sliding drive. Linear bearings which could handle the torques loads were way too big and heavy, and it seemed that simple splined drivers (or inverted gears) available would create too much friction under load to be able to be shifted, from the spec sheets i came across.

the other worry i have is how easily the system can be accessed on the trail should everything jam up or derail.
exactly

under load I don't see how anything is going to move much, no matter how much lube you apply

is that a chain running between the two, how do you take up the slack and not cause further issues?

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
ssaddict said:
exactly

under load I don't see how anything is going to move much, no matter how much lube you apply

is that a chain running between the two, how do you take up the slack and not cause further issues?
it seems so. It looks like it has a type of 'linear' derailleur that slides with the drive sprcket. Notice the gearing looks very tight, probably required to reduce excess chain allowing it to be more compact.

i'd really love to know the specifics of it. I'm wondering if they're just using SRAM 1:1 shifters, or made their own with more mechanical advantage to overcome the shifting resistance.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
ssaddict said:
exactly

could be the der is atatched to the bb chainring and the shifter moves it.
then some bushing would be fine on the spline.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
zedro said:
and what about slow shifting, like BCD mentioned awhile back with his project, that smaller chainrings will cause slow shifts. Unless they have a torque converter in there....
then they are back to more drag than the rohloff.

give and take.

they did make a bike, but imo would work no better than what i made 4 years ago.