Quantcast

Firestone Walker Race

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Originally posted by ©2001
rad! props on the hard work and keeping racing alive!

Thanks man, It'll be the first downhilll race in SB County since 1996, and hopefully this'll be a great innaugural event.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Originally posted by stoney98
Maybe a best of 2 runs format? That way if you crash in one run, you don't f*** yourself for the whole race. Plus if you have a killer run #1, you can oin #2 maybe faster, maybe crash, but it's 2 chances. You know.
Not really up to me. Mike will probably weigh in on this subject.

At least its not a one run deal. Nothing worse than coughing up good money to race, blowing a turn and having no chance at redemption. 2 run combined allows you correct for a mistake by going harder next run.

One thing I just thought of is throwing out the lower run could cause people to just cruise a run if they have a little bobble cause they know it'll be thrown out. I like the idea of people earning it, mistake or no.

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
I like the two run combined format. Consistency is hard to come by so it shld be rewarded.

Zark, is there extra time taken off if racers are wearing outrageous outfit? Like G strings, sports bra and stuff?

Salud racing!

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
Originally posted by Orven
I like the two run combined format. Consistency is hard to come by so it shld be rewarded.

Zark, is there extra time taken off if racers are wearing outrageous outfit? Like G strings, sports bra and stuff?

Salud racing!

Oh come on leave the G-Strings at home, we don't to see any of that.

For this first year we will go the consistancy route, best combined 2 run time.

MH (the evil promoter):D

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Originally posted by Orven
No, but start a bet collection to make some coin for your trouble. :D
I'll start a bigger collection to have you put some clothes back on, and we split the profits:D

Wearing pink socks will get you a beer from me over in the campground though:D

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
Originally posted by Pegboy
Do you need any kind of liscence for this gig?
Pegboy,

The Rockgardn Chamberlin Ranch DH is a NORBA sanctioned race. All racers need a NORBA license. Don't have on, no worries, you can buy on at the race for a whopping 5 bucks.

Hope to see you there,

MH (the evil promoter):D

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
Originally posted by ito
Damnit, I want to ride there! My first two races were the Firestone XC race, so much fun. Looks like a great addition to the event, props!

The Ito
Right on Ito! Hope you can make it this year!

Mike (the evil promoter)

:cool:

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Hey Mike and Noah,

How many cars do you guys get up there or do a bunch shuttle up there? I am just wondering...

I might be available saturday to help out some. I didn't know how you guys all get up there if you carpool or if everyone meets up there seperately.

What tools do you need to bring? I don't really have a ton of dirt tools but I might be able to make do.

Just wondering.......it's tuesday so it's still earley in the week but I might want to get out and see this, plus get out to ride a little.

You gotta do the "push" method of getting up to the hill to start off?

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
Spunger, I'll be driving myself and Noah up this saturday if ya want a ride. McClouds and shovels seem to be the best tools if you got em.

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
Originally posted by Spunger
Hey Mike and Noah,

How many cars do you guys get up there or do a bunch shuttle up there? I am just wondering...

I might be available saturday to help out some. I didn't know how you guys all get up there if you carpool or if everyone meets up there seperately.

What tools do you need to bring? I don't really have a ton of dirt tools but I might be able to make do.

Just wondering.......it's tuesday so it's still earley in the week but I might want to get out and see this, plus get out to ride a little.

You gotta do the "push" method of getting up to the hill to start off?
Spunger - Some carpooling happens and it is encouraged as well. As for the riding after the working we have only needed to use one truck as a shuttle so far, but if we need two that is no problem either because there is usally several parked up at the top. As for tools shovels, palaskies, mc clouds, just bring what you can. Pushing is only done if you stop half way down and want to drop a section again.

Hope you can make it,

Mike (the evil promoter) :devil:

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
Gotcha, I'll think more about it as the week goes on.

You gotta get some post counts to get the grasshopper gone, or be a member for a little while.

I'll keep in touch weather I need to find a ride or not. Is it easier to get to the trail by taking the 101 to the otherside of the san marcos pass or is the pass faster?

I have a giant ol lifted chevy that is why I asked, twisties might be a problem but the freeway is A.O.K.

Chris

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Gotcha, I'll think more about it as the week goes on.

You gotta get some post counts to get the grasshopper gone, or be a member for a little while.

I'll keep in touch weather I need to find a ride or not. Is it easier to get to the trail by taking the 101 to the otherside of the san marcos pass or is the pass faster?

I have a giant ol lifted chevy that is why I asked, twisties might be a problem but the freeway is A.O.K.

Chris
Hey Chris. You could go 101, but 154 is more direct, after the pass, its actually pretty straight road there out. Your truck should be fine on the pass. Hope you can make it out on Saturday man:)

Noah

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
Hey guys,

Do you just park at the end of the road and walk down? I am really thinking about going but still have to find out what is planned for tomorrow. IF nothing is planned I might make my way there. Basicly I know if helping to make it means you gotta race on it too, considering you get some pre-rides and all.

What's the outlook looking like for people showing up tomorrow? Just out of curiousity?

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
Hey guys,

Do you just park at the end of the road and walk down? I am really thinking about going but still have to find out what is planned for tomorrow. IF nothing is planned I might make my way there. Basicly I know if helping to make it means you gotta race on it too, considering you get some pre-rides and all.

What's the outlook looking like for people showing up tomorrow? Just out of curiousity?
You will park at the top of the hill which is about 3 miles on Foxen Canyon rd. off of 154.

We plan to start around 9 AM. Bring you bike and tools.

Thx,

mh

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Of course there were casulties, sorry about the wheel man:(

That is what happens when you shoot over the berm and tag a log around 25mph!

Fury

Monkey
Oct 9, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Sawwweeeeettt! Depending on my exam schedule I'll likely be able to make it out for a day of racing. It will also be the first time really riding my bike which should be interesting :devil:

Question: is my international UCI license enough or will I need a norba license too?
Question: What is the exact address or location of the venue?
Question: Can I pay the reg fee using my CC or not. If not I'll have to get on sending a U.S. dollar money order.

Keep the pics coming!!

GoRoRo

Chimp
Jul 23, 2003
Santa Barbara
urg...that biker chick looks mean :p
Great work yesterday....I was thinking that maybe if Mr. Firestone was down we could make some sort of a rock garden. Maybe after the tabletop and following burm....on the homestretch. For one final kicker :) What do ya think?

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
That would be cool, but there really aren't any good enough rocks to make a rock garden out of. Plus they are all just small ones. I think we should just build a bunch more jumps, and more berms and such. Then we should build dirtjumps off the side of the course on the bottom for everyone to do after the race:D

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
I'd be down for making one as long as its okay. The only thing that I can think of is that the course it being built with the intent that sometime in the future when it is no longer being used, the area will return to its normal state. I don't see rocks being a problem, but we migth just have to talk to Mike and see what we can do. We'll see, that would be awesome to have some more techincal stuff in there.

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
Originally posted by Li'l Dave
I'd be down for making one as long as its okay. The only thing that I can think of is that the course it being built with the intent that sometime in the future when it is no longer being used, the area will return to its normal state. I don't see rocks being a problem, but we migth just have to talk to Mike and see what we can do. We'll see, that would be awesome to have some more techincal stuff in there.
I'll see about the rocks, but I don't know if its within the race budget to buy a truck load of good sized rocks ...

MH (the evil promoter) :devil:

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Well, today was sweet, I'm sore all over and sunburned, and don't regret a thing (aside from not having a bike right now:D ) We accomplished so much with the Ojai crew today. 15 people digging and riding, a beautiful sight indeed!

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
here's air-time John launching a new double near the finish line. I'm working on getting some video up in the next day or two.
The lower half of the course is awsome now, the top will be some work but will be nice soon:devil:

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
15 feet or so, pretty good size, but pretty nice.

I have more photos but they are at home and I can't keep that computer running long enough to edit and post photos, it sucks.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Ok you guys, the next work day is Sunday, March 14, around 9 or so.

You'll need some snacks, water and tools, and sunscreen ( I got burned a little last week)

The course is getting sweet so bring your bike for some runs later on.

Noah

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
Looks good!

Are you guys doing the same thing as last weekend? Building to a certian time and then riding?

I might have a better shot this next weekend then the previous one. My truck busted a power steering hose so I wasn't going anywhere. Hopefully I can get the new hose installed this week. Still waiting on it though.

Post back and let me know

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
Looks good!

Are you guys doing the same thing as last weekend? Building to a certian time and then riding?

I might have a better shot this next weekend then the previous one. My truck busted a power steering hose so I wasn't going anywhere. Hopefully I can get the new hose installed this week. Still waiting on it though.

Post back and let me know
We will take Saturday off this wekend. But will work on Sunday from 9-3 and then shuttles.

mh

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Hey Mike, thanks for hanging out on RM and answering questions about the race. So, just to be sure I'm understanding this right:

1. I can preregister any time up until ?? for $40 or:
2. I can show up on Saturday register late for $?? (how much is late registration?), preride the XC course, then watch some DH action and drink beer.
3. Since I am racing sport class, I can show up Sunday some time before 12:00 noon and get ready to race.
4. If I survive the race, I can hang around and drink more beer and listen to some music.

Is this correct?

How is the XC course for spectating? Should I bring my family for Sunday?

Thanks again for all your help!

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by ghostrider
Hey Mike, thanks for hanging out on RM and answering questions about the race.
Agreed! Thanks Mike, and I have it on my list of races to do this year. I was never able to make it in the past and am stoked this year!!!!!

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
Hey Mike, thanks for hanging out on RM and answering questions about the race. So, just to be sure I'm understanding this right:

1. I can preregister any time up until ?? for $40 or:
2. I can show up on Saturday register late for $?? (how much is late registration?), preride the XC course, then watch some DH action and drink beer.
3. Since I am racing sport class, I can show up Sunday some time before 12:00 noon and get ready to race.
4. If I survive the race, I can hang around and drink more beer and listen to some music.

Is this correct?

Thanks again for all your help!
Hey Ghostrider it is all part of being of service to my sport! Not a problem answering questions.

The entry fee is $40 before the 19th of April, add $6 after that. You can reg on line too at https://www.teambigbear.com/reg/selectevent.php

You can view our race web page at http://www.ridesb.com/Firestone_04.htm

You can show up on Friday, Saturday, or even Sunday to either pick up your pre-reg stuff or to reg late for the XC. DH is Saturday so there is no reg on sunday for that race, duh.

As of right now there is no beer being served on Saturday, I will look into arranging that. :eek:

Points 3 and 4 are correct.

Also we will be doing some work on the XC course in the next few weeks, so if you want to bail from your trailer in the river for the day, come help with the trail work, you can pre-ride the XC course later that afternoon.

Enjoy the ride,

MH
:devil:

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara

Oh I forgot, we have the live music, a Free Shimano Youth Series Race, a buncer for the small ones, the BBQ and Raffle, yeah it's a great day for the entire Family!

MH

:)

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Originally posted by hecktone
Also we will be doing some work on the XC course in the next few weeks, so if you want to bail from your trailer in the river for the day, come help with the trail work, you can pre-ride the XC course later that afternoon.
Just let me know when, I'm good for a half hour of hard labor...

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
See what you can do about 50 cent Firestone drafts all day Saturday. Then I could get wasted for a dollar.
I heard James@Giant was buying us beer!:p