Quantcast

Frameworks DH frames are happening

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Literally-
Half of the bikes at any East Coast dh race in 2005-6 were Ironhorses(welded in one of two places in Portland Oregon, or in Taiwan). The other half were Sinisters, or 11 year old Richie Rude on a Demo9.
1698419563924.png

my comment was more that the DH market is different then vs now. lots of IH sold because so many of the other bikes on the market back then were total crap by comparison. nowadays basically all the bikes on the market are more or less well sorted. sure, there was the sam hill effect. but also the whole "win on sunday sell on monday" mantra doesn't exist in DH anymore, and its debatable if it ever truly did.

shelteringsky

Monkey
May 21, 2010
Not talking about the Ironhorse Sunday...
1698420171362.png

The Ironhorse SGS... It was as crappy as all the other bikes there. The Mad Catz team basically put Ironhorse on the map for DH in 2002/3. Is it any coincidence that you were seeing a bunch of Ironhorses at east coast races in 2005?

You guys seriously trying to suggest that as a new entrant to the market, race results would have no effect on marketability of a DH frame??

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Other than his place in mtb history. What's the actual appeal of having a frame being welded by frank? It's not like they haven't ever broken or anything.

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
I'd bet more than a few racers would buy one to also get a bit of race set-up / tuning connection with Neko. You could be just a dude with a Transition Tr11 with no help in setting up, or you could pay a bit more and get to connect with the Frameworks crew at the East Coast US races. A tighter connection to a scene.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
As cool and storied as FTW is, he is nothing special in terms of what he does currently. Especially these days, his shop is very low tech. As sad as it may be, Taiwan is light years ahead in terms of alloy frame production and technology. The tube forming/shaping processes, use of forged parts, full test lab at the factory for prototyping, etc. They have that shit dialed.

You're paying a premium price for Neko and Frank, not the actual product.

It's a little disappointing, I was hoping for a solid full alloy frame for a decent price. But I guess you have to fund that race team somehow. But no way I'm paying $4500 for a $2000 frame to help the cause.

I think this will be my next DH rig, you can get a full bike for the price of a Frameworks+shock.

Airdrop-Slacker-Deluxe.jpg

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
As cool and storied as FTW is, he is nothing special in terms of what he does currently. Especially these days, his shop is very low tech. As sad as it may be, Taiwan is light years ahead in terms of alloy frame production and technology. The tube forming/shaping processes, use of forged parts, full test lab at the factory for prototyping, etc. They have that shit dialed.

It's a little disappointing, I was hoping for a solid full alloy frame for a decent price. But I guess you have to fund that race team somehow. But no way I'm paying $4500 for a $2000 frame to help the cause.

I think this will be my next DH rig, you can get a full bike for the price of a Frameworks+shock.

View attachment 202674
personally, if i'm dropping money on a bike and there's an opportunity for my $$ to go somebody I know rather than an overseas factory, that's certainly a factor i'm going to consider. i also understand that's not a deciding factor for everyone, and many people, such as yourself, shop primarily on price point.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

despite his low tech shop, he somehow still manages to produce a bike that can raced at world cups.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
I don't shop by price point alone, and I pay attention to the company putting out the product and where my money goes. Check out Airdrop, they are doing some things very right IMO.

But based on what I know about frame production, the Neko bike is over priced for what it is.

I am super pumped on the whole project and was willing to put up my money, but not to the point I feel like I am taken advantage of.

If Neko started a USA DH non-profit organization to help kids get on the WC scene, or something to help grow the sport domestically, I'd have no problem sending him a few hundred bucks.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I don't shop by price point alone, and I pay attention to the company putting out the product and where my money goes. Check out Airdrop, they are doing some things very right IMO.

But based on what I know about frame production, the Neko bike is over priced for what it is.

I am super pumped on the whole project and was willing to put up my money, but not to the point I feel like I am taken advantage of.

If Neko started a USA DH non-profit organization to help kids get on the WC scene, or something to help grow the sport domestically, I'd have no problem sending him a few hundred bucks.
even if i were in the market for a DH bike i wouldn't spend that much on a frame, but i get why it costs what it does.

Neko is definitely doing a lot to help develop the US DH race scene, and i can't readily think of anyone else doing more.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

Have you listened to this?

He goes into some pretty good detail about what happened, when, where, why etc.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
my comment was more that the DH market is different then vs now. lots of IH sold because so many of the other bikes on the market back then were total crap by comparison. nowadays basically all the bikes on the market are more or less well sorted. sure, there was the sam hill effect. but also the whole "win on sunday sell on monday" mantra doesn't exist in DH anymore, and its debatable if it ever truly did.
Sure, other bikes are sorted now. But e.g. Commencal and Trek have reliability issues. If Neko has really sorted out all issues of his frame, it could be a great option for a privateer that needs a trouble-free bike. Especially in the US, I would also expect great spare parts and race support.
BTW: in the old days the Sunday was so popular because other bikes that were also good were more expensive, e.g. V10, M3, M6, DHR.

shelteringsky

Monkey
May 21, 2010
personally, if i'm dropping money on a bike and there's an opportunity for my $$ to go somebody I know rather than an overseas factory, that's certainly a factor i'm going to consider. i also understand that's not a deciding factor for everyone, and many people, such as yourself, shop primarily on price point.
we get it. You’re a fanboi. But are you actually gonna buy the damn thing? it’s easy to say you would buy the frame. But woulds alone aren’t gonna make this Frame Work..

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Cool project and tip of the cap for starting a bike brand, but $4k for a frame w/out shock is too rich for my blood.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I hope he sells enough to break even and maybe even a little more to keep funding whatever good things he's up to. But come on guys, you can't look at it from a purely logical/objective perspective. Lots of people have big appetites (and wallets) for small batch products with good stories but murky futures. Not for me but I won't yuck their yum.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I hope he sells enough to break even and maybe even a little more to keep funding whatever good things he's up to. But come on guys, you can't look at it from a purely logical/objective perspective. Lots of people have big appetites (and wallets) for small batch products with good stories but murky futures. Not for me but I won't yuck their yum.
I personally think all mountainbikes should cost 200k

would keep out the riffraff

.....actually that might make it all rifraff, exclusively. Nevermind.

Okay, only one mountainbike per year can be made. You have to compete gladiator style for last man standing to the death to get it. Of course this will be reality tv that no one will care about except for a select few physicians and walmart family descendents but they'll totally care about it a lot. Because of instagram.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
So a Chinese made Santa Cruz frame is bad?
Slightly different in that they (PON) own the factory and it just does their products. I know some carbon is made in Vietnam and Taiwan as well.

But if you're working with a carbon frame vendor in China the sketch factor is high. Which is why all the bike companies like SC and Specialized have their own factories in China, or factories that just make parts for them and they have their own employees on the floor full time.

I think it's related to the culture and workers, typical Chinese factories are almost like labor camps. The employees live there in housing, are fed there, get paid shit and really can't leave. Which is why after Chinese New Year holiday ever year, when all the factories shut down for 3-4 weeks and people go home, typically about 30% of the workers just don't come back. In general the workers don't give a shit about the product they are making.

And of course there is the Chinese government..... :eek:

Taiwan is normal in that the workers/employees go home and night and don't live at the factory. They take more pride in what they are doing and their job/career. Taiwan is very different from China culturally and in terms of governmental control.

Pretty sure Neko is using a Taiwan vendor (VIP) for his carbon parts.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I think prices are insane everywhere.

I was checking out the Chromag Lowdown just for the hell of it...$4000 CAD for a steel front end and aluminum rear. At least it comes with a shock. If you want mulletness, you have to buy a link for $350 at checkout (why not swap links before the frame is shipped and keep the price the same??).

Then yesterday I was toying with the idea of switching from a Fox 40 to the Ohlins DH38. Between 2021 (when I bought my 40) and now, the price has gone up about $300. The new boxxer retails for $2700-something!

Garbage.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Inflation is real. The last time there was a domesticatlly produced race bike option they cost more than $4k in today’s money.

Imagine if the M1 actually ends up getting produced domestically… frame only it will end up just as if not more expensive…