Quantcast

Friday GMT

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Why does it always take me 8 hours to do 4 hours of (billable) work?
It seems to have taken me about 10 hours to do "4.5 hours" of training. But most of that was interruption and slow buffering. Break out a 30 minute lecture into 8 little 5 min or less parts, add in crap buffering, and it is an hour or more. :shakefist:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
:wave:

Jesus Christ, I don't know how you Denver people do it. 2 hours to get from the house to the airport yesterday afternoon. If I had to drive in that traffic everyday I'd have put a gun to my head years ago.

The good news is, wife is now home and I have a collection of duty free Scotch and Icelandic liqueurs for the near future.
This is why I bike commute. I get to see the stopped traffic on I-70 and I-270 and ride right on past it on the greenway.

(and when I do need to go to the airport I live sufficiently north that I just hop on 56th and head east directly to Peña.)

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Jesus Christ, I don't know how you Denver people do it. 2 hours to get from the house to the airport yesterday afternoon. If I had to drive in that traffic everyday I'd have put a gun to my head years ago.
Secret: WfH

You didn't drive up I-25 to I-225 did you? That's a mistake. At least most of the time.

Why does it always take me 8 hours to do 4 hours of (billable) work?
Because you're bad at estimating?

Unless, of course, it's IT - then it's just because 2x.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
it's ribfest outside my office today. slaw and beans were decent, and the meat covered in ketchup mixed with sugar and vinegar (and a few spices) were ok. It was just nice to get out with a few colleagues and hang out a bit.

some sort of misty rain cloud seems to have descended on the city. Not sure if that will lead to hero dirt tomorrow, or make the rock slabs slimy and unrideable for the fathers day weekend getaway... either way, I win because I am not with the kids for a whole 26 hours!

edited to add:

@stoney : There's this too: https://www.specialized.com/ca/en/bikes/kids/boys-hotrock-20-coaster/115216

I got my son the https://www.specialized.com/ca/en/bikes/kids/boys-hotrock-20-street/118248 and bought separate knobby tires to switch to when needed. He caught on to the gears in no time. In fact, from the first time he rode it, it wasn't a problem - I guess gripshift is easy for kids to understand... I find the bike a bit long, but I swapped out to a shorter stem, and it's good. I'm really looking forward to riding it more with him. So far, we've only ridden together once, in Vermont, but having gears opened up a whole range of possibilities that didn't exist before. Now he has the "go fast" mode (6th gear) and the climbing mode (1st gear). It was not really possible for him to ride trails last year on a single speed.

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
FYI, the #6 + bacon from Don Jalapeno's is winning. The awesome scratch hab sauce helps, but the flavors do well.

Eggs, hash browns (would prefer small cut, but still good), mushrooms, bell pepper, onion, spinach, cheese, and now bacon. $5.50 rounded up to $7 with tip.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

Wingnut

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
Sorry, I'm Canadian ..sorry...
Afternoon...

Why does 2 weeks have to be the politically correct way of leaving a workplace... Why not 2 days, or even 2 hours.....

I'm on the receiving end of the company's cold shoulder now, 5 working days left....

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Afternoon...

Why does 2 weeks have to be the politically correct way of leaving a workplace... Why not 2 days, or even 2 hours.....

I'm on the receiving end of the company's cold shoulder now, 5 working days left....
i fucked over the lady i worked for in colorado because she deserved it....no notice...taped the key to her door.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Came home for lunch and the electrician was just finishing running a new circuit to the bedroom. He said all done, power to all the outlets. Great. Hit the light switches, bathroom fans, ceiling fan, not a damn thing had power. He had that aw fuck look on his face. Shit better be working when I get home tonight.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Because you're bad at estimating?

Unless, of course, it's IT - then it's just because 2x.
I usually go with double it, double it again, then add 10%.

Because you go ride Dakota Ridge in the middle?
I knew I was doing something wrong...

Locals, anyone riding Sunday morning? @6thElement @Adventurous (still have a seat for you!) @Nick @stoney etc.
WTF man? Am I on the "do not invite" list since I've never been able to ride with you?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Afternoon...

So they can hire and train an intern to replace you at half the price? It is "customary", but you could just drop the mic and leave.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I have a 6 month notice if quitting clause in my contract. I don't have 6 months of vacation saved up, for better or worse. (Unlike stoney, though, I would get it paid out, albeit at a rate that's a bit lower than what I think it should be.)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have a 6 month notice if quitting clause in my contract. I don't have 6 months of vacation saved up, for better or worse. (Unlike stoney, though, I would get it paid out, albeit at a rate that's a bit lower than what I think it should be.)
You really should learn to negotiate better