Quantcast

GO US LADIES GMT

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
decided i didn't wanna go to work today. went back to bed after getting the wife and kids out the door. just finished breakfast. eggs, home fries, bacon. mmmmmmmmm coffee.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Got my escrow over-payment check back last night. Paid my 2018 property taxes at the end of last year and was waiting for the mortgage company to figure it out and send me the right amount back. Almost the exact same amount, so I just had to front $3200 for 2 months. Wifey was dumbfounded that I managed to work that out so well. It's like, give me a little bit of credit. I do money for a living; I sometimes know what I'm doing.
I, too, am awaiting my escrow overage check. Had to get BoA to reissue it since the first one supposedly mailed out on 1/9/18 never made its way to me. Gah.

Just got my rather nice bonus for the year. Sadly not F.U. money. Going to go crazy with it and make some early mortgage payments and stash the rest away so when I need a new car in a few years I will hopefully have enough saved up to pay in cash. That is of course unless a price incentive is available to finance, where I will finance the minimum amount then pay it off immediately.
Everything into BTC. DO IT.

¿que? IAB?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Lemme know if Loveland, I'll probably be up there all weekend, with new pants!

I for one welcome our new wing-ding-less GMT.
1. Unless you wanna go instructor for Team Ski Stoney I do not recommend.
2. Concur.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Season pass mic-drop this morning: https://www.ikonpass.com/

Holy shit is this pass... intriguing. Especially if you can storm-chase...
Intriguing indeed. But I figure I'm probably honestly better off with just a Winter Park pass straight up given the kids + wife's desire not to spend, say, a week out in Jackson. (Have I mentioned she'd insist on flying there?)

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I, too, am awaiting my escrow overage check. Had to get BoA to reissue it since the first one supposedly mailed out on 1/9/18 never made its way to me. Gah.

¿que? IAB?
1. I'm doing Finance Monkey currently and torn between starting Hannah's 529 with it and dropping it into one of the IRAs. Pre-tax guy me says 529 for benefit.
2. He done gone running.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Intriguing indeed. But I figure I'm probably honestly better off with just a Winter Park pass straight up given the kids + wife's desire not to spend, say, a week out in Jackson. (Have I mentioned she'd insist on flying there?)
Ah, but now I see there's an Ikon Base pass. That could work out very well for me: WP with kids, can chase powder a bit at Copper if it's there, could slum it up with TN at Eldora if lazy, and could trek out to Steamboat, Aspen/Snowmass for a super long day or a week with the family potentially. For $599 I think I'm sold.

1. I'm doing Finance Monkey currently and torn between starting Hannah's 529 with it and dropping it into one of the IRAs. Pre-tax guy me says 529 for benefit.
2. He done gone running.
Have you maxed out all of your pre-tax space? If you've already done so then I'd go 529 before Roth +/- backdoor. You're doing a dependent care FSA, too, right?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Season pass mic-drop this morning: https://www.ikonpass.com/

Holy shit is this pass... intriguing. Especially if you can storm-chase...
Yeah that looks real intriguing. WP, Copper, and Elderpa are close enough for day trips, I have friend(s) with a guest room(s) in Steamboat, ladyfriend's sister (and several other friends) live in the Aspen area, good friend in Driggs... I could probably fairly easily get the ROI on that damn thing. Hrrrrrm... :think:

¿que? IAB?
"running"

1. Unless you wanna go instructor for Team Ski Stoney I do not recommend.
2. Concur.
Lemme know regardless if you're at <3LAND -- I'd shralp a couple runs with you and the kiddo, maybe talk you into a beer at some point when your progeny gets cold and wants to warm up inside.

Have I mentioned that flying to J-Hole is amazing, especially when you get bumped to first class? It's a short flight, but they'll keep those drinks coming... also I've found at least one < $200 R/T flight to J-Hole nearly every year that I've looked. Subscribe to United deals email. If you're lucky, it'll coincide with a storm.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I told Wifey that I was going to create a budget for us now that we have Hannah's daycare, plus savings, plus more expensive mtge, plus all of Haley's activities, plus diapers and formula, etc. The look she gave me... you would have assumed I ran around the room and just slapped everybody in the house and kicked Layla.

She can't push back too hard because I'm selling the fucking M, so that gets rid of the monthly cashflow into the Infiniti and drops the insurance payment to the M, but damn... She was not happy with that. It's like, we cut eating out by half and stop buying superfluous shit, boom! Daycare.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
limitations on the $900 pass:

Steamboat, CO Unlimited
Winter Park Resort, CO Unlimited
Copper Mountain Resort, CO Unlimited
Eldora Mountain Resort, CO Unlimited
Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows, CA Unlimited
Mammoth Mountain, CA Unlimited
June Mountain, CA Unlimited
Big Bear Mountain Resort, CA Unlimited
Stratton, VT Unlimited
Snowshoe, WV Unlimited
Tremblant, QC Unlimited
Blue Mountain, ON Unlimited
Jackson Hole Mountain Resort, WY 7
Big Sky Mountain Resort, MT 7
Killington Resort, VT 7
Sugarbush Resort, VT 7
Revelstoke Mountain Resort, BC 7
Deer Valley Resort, UT 7
Aspen Snowmass, CO : Aspen Mountain, Snowmass, Aspen Highlands, Buttermilk 7 Total
AltaSnowbird, UT 7 Total
Loon Mountain (NH), Sunday River (ME), & Sugarloaf (ME) 7 Total
SkiBig3, AB : Banff Sunshine, Lake Louise, Mt. Norquay 7 Total

If I could ski bum it again next season this pass would be stellar. Beats the hell outta Epic Max

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Have you maxed out all of your pre-tax space? If you've already done so then I'd go 529 before Roth +/- backdoor. You're doing a dependent care FSA, too, right?
1. Part of the budgeting aspect. Cashflow went boom with baby and new mtge. Trad IRA is income impacted, Roth same, and we have Trad IRAs so we don't want to backdoor any Roths because we have to track the AT contribution amount lest we be double taxed on it. I've legitimately thought about rolling all of the outside non-roth accounts into employer plans just because of the simplicity and lower expense, assuming I can get Vanguard funds in the plans.I'll most likely set the 529 so we have one in place for when she gets cash gifts. What we do with Haley is give her half and drop the other half into her 529. She knows that we do it and understands that I'm saving it for her later.

Lemme know regardless if you're at <3LAND -- I'd shralp a couple runs with you and the kiddo, maybe talk you into a beer at some point when your progeny gets cold and wants to warm up inside.
I was thinking about dropping her into 1x1 lessons for 2 hrs in the morning and getting in few hours of fun time on the board, then switching over to skis with her. Toshi gave me a free ski demo card for Christy Sports that I was planning on taking advantage of the next trip up. Else I can spend $13 to rent boots and have them adjust to my skis which are appallingly too small (K2 ampRictor 82xti 170mm). I really need to just sell these for like $75 to somebody just starting to ski, as they have rental bindings.

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
1. Part of the budgeting aspect. Cashflow went boom with baby and new mtge. Trad IRA is income impacted, Roth same, and we have Trad IRAs so we don't want to backdoor any Roths because we have to track the AT contribution amount lest we be double taxed on it. I've legitimately thought about rolling all of the outside non-roth accounts into employer plans just because of the simplicity and lower expense, assuming I can get Vanguard funds in the plans.I'll most likely set the 529 so we have one in place for when she gets cash gifts. What we do with Haley is give her half and drop the other half into her 529. She knows that we do it and understands that I'm saving it for her later.

I was thinking about dropping her into 1x1 lessons for 2 hrs in the morning and getting in few hours of fun time on the board, then switching over to skis with her. Toshi gave me a free ski demo card for Christy Sports that I was planning on taking advantage of the next trip up. Else I can spend $13 to rent boots and have them adjust to my skis which are appallingly too small (K2 ampRictor 82xti 170mm). I really need to just sell these for like $75 to somebody just starting to ski, as they have rental bindings.
paging funcle nick

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I told Wifey that I was going to create a budget for us now that we have Hannah's daycare, plus savings, plus more expensive mtge, plus all of Haley's activities, plus diapers and formula, etc. The look she gave me... you would have assumed I ran around the room and just slapped everybody in the house and kicked Layla.

She can't push back too hard because I'm selling the fucking M, so that gets rid of the monthly cashflow into the Infiniti and drops the insurance payment to the M, but damn... She was not happy with that. It's like, we cut eating out by half and stop buying superfluous shit, boom! Daycare.
she's gotten too accustomed to ///Monocle life.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
she's gotten too accustomed to ///Monocle life.
Yesterday after we dropped Haley, she had to drop me off at BMW to pick up the M and as soon as we got into the car she commented "it really is easy only having one kid". The second she said it I think she had an "I should not have said that. I definitely should not have said that." moment. Because before we started going for rd 2 I made it damn clear that while Haley had gotten really easy, she was getting baby blinded by just how much work having a newborn through 3 year old is and how god damned expensive it is with daycare and how much it was going to pull us back to effectively the stone age when it comes to doing social things, enjoying nice things, etc.

She was not happy when I told her I was planning on taking Haley skiing this weekend (because she got cancelled last due to Hannah) and asked what she and Hannah are going to do. I said unless she suddenly decides to get okay with other people watching her kids, then she has to be the mom who stays at home with the newborn while the other kid goes out and does activities because it's not fair to them to be tied down now that they have a new, much younger sibling. Probably not my best moment, but I kind of just had it after the amount of back and forth we had that summed up with her "we're doing this" attitude towards it.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
we have Trad IRAs so we don't want to backdoor any Roths because we have to track the AT contribution amount lest we be double taxed on it. I've legitimately thought about rolling all of the outside non-roth accounts into employer plans
Ah yes, the pro rata rule will rape you if you have traditional IRA holdings. Time to roll those funds back into employer plans ASAP and escape from said rule.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
e has to be the mom who stays at home with the newborn while the other kid goes out and does activities
You probably should offer to stay at home with Hannah and have Sarah go up with Haley one of these weeks. She'll probably decline it after thinking but it'll save you chafing.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Please be advised - there are BLACKOUTS on the "extra resorts" for holidays on the Base Pass. This could be important for monkies with kids. I, for one, would view it as a good reason to say, "FUCK SKIING ON THE HOLIDAYS."
Mariko will be in kindergarten next year. I will give approximately 0 fucks if I pull her out of kindergarten for a week to go skiing at non-peak times at a great resort.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
She was not happy when I told her I was planning on taking Haley skiing this weekend (because she got cancelled last due to Hannah) and asked what she and Hannah are going to do. I said unless she suddenly decides to get okay with other people watching her kids, then she has to be the mom who stays at home with the newborn while the other kid goes out and does activities because it's not fair to them to be tied down now that they have a new, much younger sibling. Probably not my best moment, but I kind of just had it after the amount of back and forth we had that summed up with her "we're doing this" attitude towards it.
went through the same thing. now that Maddie is almost 9 months old, we tend to take turns more. Weather here has been crappy lately so the wife has been taking Gray to the indoor pool at the gym she belongs to, while I stay home with Maddie. Once the weather is warmer i will be taking both kids out on bike rides in the trailer.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip> she commented "it really is easy only having one kid". The second she said it I think she had an "I should not have said that. I definitely should not have said that." moment.
Don't worry - that'll get worse. :homer:

Mariko will be in kindergarten next year. I will give approximately 0 fucks if I pull her out of kindergarten for a week to go skiing at non-peak times at a great resort.
Yeah - but then you'll have to ski with a kid.

NTTAWWT.

:D

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In definite non-monacle news... my wife quit her jorb yesterday. So we are back to single income/non-monacle-status. :(

I suspect we will continue to spend money like drunken sailors for the next 2-3 months, though. 'Cause non-monacle'ing is hard. :D

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
In definite non-monacle news... my wife quit her jorb yesterday. So we are back to single income/non-monacle-status. :(

I suspect we will continue to spend money like drunken sailors for the next 2-3 months, though. 'Cause non-monacle'ing is hard. :D
I hear drunken sailoring ain't that difficult, based on what I see on the internets from @IndecentExposure.

Oh, is he not a thing on this site? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
I hear drunken sailoring ain't that difficult, based on what I see on the internets from @IndecentExposure.

Oh, is he not a thing on this site? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
He used to be... :think:

He's dealing with an extremely LARGE double-income, though - which makes monacling easy. I have a suspicion that he may even have his casa paid off, too, which does wonders for the cashflow...

Drunken sailoring is definitely *EASY* - just expensive. It's a helluva lotta fun, too - just expensive.

Just have to put him in bed with the Captains Daughter.
No no no - you throw him in the HOLD with the Captain's daughter.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Ah yes, the pro rata rule will rape you if you have traditional IRA holdings. Time to roll those funds back into employer plans ASAP and escape from said rule.
Yeah. I'm trying to get into her new 401k plan still to figure out their options. Mine is pretty easy given I deal with it almost daily because our employees are in it and our management too.

You probably should offer to stay at home with Hannah and have Sarah go up with Haley one of these weeks. She'll probably decline it after thinking but it'll save you chafing.
She doesn't ski, so it's moot.

went through the same thing. now that Maddie is almost 9 months old, we tend to take turns more. Weather here has been crappy lately so the wife has been taking Gray to the indoor pool at the gym she belongs to, while I stay home with Maddie. Once the weather is warmer i will be taking both kids out on bike rides in the trailer.
See above.

If you put money After Tax into a Traditional IRA, then convert those funds into a Roth IRA, you are backdooring a Roth IRA. If you have funds in a Traditional IRA and try that, your contribution amounts go pro-rata. ie. you have $50000 existing in Trad (before tax) contributions, then contribute $5000 after tax to back door, only 10% actually goes over as after tax. 91% will be taxed the year of your conversion because pro-rata. You now still have $4550 of AT in your Trad IRA that you have to track going forward so as to not be double taxed on it. Most people eventually lose track of it and just say fuck it and double pay the taxes. I've lost track of the year we did it and that was less than 10 years ago. Thankfully it was less than $10k, but that's still going to be a whacked additional probably $2500 when I'm in retirement that I lose to taxes.

I mean... she's the one with the kid's food, right? Seems legit.
Negative. Formula at this point.