Quantcast

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
My sh*t talking has been put to an end by Matchew. Nice driving :thumb:

Looks like I'll be running some more laps tonight....

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i saw gamestop has a wheel/pedal combo for $79 but the drawback is it doesnt have force feedback....damn
My dented box DFGT was $75 + shipping (from logitech.com with a code from slickdeals). Around $85 all said and done iirc. For that price I'm quite happy with it.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Yeah i think my PS3 clock is off by a couple time zones, I don't really pay attention to it.
everytime i start up GT5, it always tell me my time/date is wrong but it really isnt

My dented box DFGT was $75 + shipping (from logitech.com with a code from slickdeals). Around $85 all said and done iirc. For that price I'm quite happy with it.
i have a hard time buying anything refurb and or open box.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
everytime i start up GT5, it always tell me my time/date is wrong but it really isnt
I had the same thing happen for the first time yesterday. I went into the options menu, and under network options clicked "clear system cache". The problem was no longer there, and my time matched up again.

CurbJumper

Turbo Monkey
Aug 31, 2010
Central FL
The time/date problem is an easy fix. It has to do with the DST settings. I had the same problem with GT5Prologue. A quick Google search can find how to fix it.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Well the other thread seems to be going downhill quickly. Hopefully we can keep this going, I like the competition.

I updated my post with a new time and pic for the Ring. Was gonna wait till Thursday night and throw it up at the last second, but I'd rather give Matchew or anyone else a chance to retaliate. I only want to win on this track if Im the fastest one, not by sneaking in a time at the last second. :thumb:

Im about out of time though. I could do a mid 6:49.xx if I had to, but that's about it for me.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
funny some found a way to cheat on the GT5 Academy Challenge
A handful of Gran Turismo 5 players are currently battling it out for a shot at becoming a real-world race car driver in Polyphony's GT Academy, but according to GT Planet, there may be a bit of an issue. Currently, the top three drivers are using a less-than-sanctioned route to get around the track by dipping off of the asphalt and cutting two corners entirely to come up with a significantly quicker lap time than everyone else.

To put it simply, the three players who are on the podium right now are cheating.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Anyone having audio issues? I get the audio skipping/fading in and out every couple of minutes since the last PS3 update. DVD's/Blu-Ray's play fine. Trying to decide if it's the disc or something weird with the latest update.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
I'll check the disc again. Really weird...happens with all of the audio, including the horrendous menu elevator music. Starts with a CD skipping thing and then fades out. I was trying the week two challenge last night, but surprisingly hard without the normal audible cues! Congrats to Jeff on the 6'49 or whatever it is. I was headed to about a 7'00 flat, but screwed up the last section. Keep forgetting that, despite all of the grip, the GT-R is one heavy car.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Did a few more laps last night, and I can consistently do low 6:50's now. Actually beat my posted time by .014. I can get split times that would put me around 6:49.3xx, but always lose it by the end of the lap. You can really push the GT-R on that track if you have your lines dialed.

Still waiting for Matchew to come back with a 6:49....

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Thoughts from playing a bit today, catching up on the seasonal events now turned to regular-esque events (WTF?):

1) Audi R8 5.2 is a pig of a car. Do not like. I sold it, in fact. The Audi TT-RS drives much nicer despite being slow.

2) The Subaru STI Spec-C likes to understeer, just like real WRXs and STIs! Good job modeling that, Polyphony. :D On the other hand, the Evo X is quite pleasant in its balance even if perhaps a titch slower.

3) Godzilla owns. The GT-R Spec V (optioned to closely match the 530 hp 2012 models) is fast and it's fun to drive. I'm in love, as far as street cars go.

4) If the Ferrari F1 events truly only pay 100k credits total then there's no freakin' way I'm buying a 10M Ferrari F1 car for them. No way. I don't even like driving the truly fast vehicles as much as the street cars, anyway.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
a propos of nothing. We just hauled out the PS2 today......it hasn't seen the light of day Since we moved back here from Seattle. We have a Dora game and a Strawberry shortcake game now.

Mayne tonight I'll fire up GT3

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
4) If the Ferrari F1 events truly only pay 100k credits total then there's no freakin' way I'm buying a 10M Ferrari F1 car for them. No way. I don't even like driving the truly fast vehicles as much as the street cars, anyway.
If you want to do the event, I'll send you one of the F1 cars. Let me know and I'll send one over. Just pass it on to someone else who needs one when you're done. I recommend backing up your save first though, so you can reload it and keep the car. :thumb:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
If you want to do the event, I'll send you one of the F1 cars. Let me know and I'll send one over. Just pass it on to someone else who needs one when you're done. I recommend backing up your save first though, so you can reload it and keep the car. :thumb:
Thanks, but I'm just going to pass on the races. I'm already passing on the Seasonal Event Time Trials and Drift Trials and I might have missed a regular Seasonal Event race outright after not turning the PS3 on for a few weeks :rofl: .

i won a Spec V early on in the game and used it for a ton of races.
I bought the Spec V for the GT-R Seasonal Event, back when things were restricted and it was tough. Ah, back in the day…

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Of course they have an actual event for the Ferrari F1's right after I just blew most of my money in the game on some random cars because "there was nothing else I really needed".

Edit: In which case, what's the best way to make back a bunch of money? I thought it was supposed to be the US series, but I still haven't found a reasonable car for that (keep checking the used lot).

Last edited:

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Of course they have an actual event for the Ferrari F1's right after I just blew most of my money in the game on some random cars because "there was nothing else I really needed".

Edit: In which case, what's the best way to make back a bunch of money? I thought it was supposed to be the US series, but I still haven't found a reasonable car for that (keep checking the used lot).
Maybe sstalder5 can back up his save and send you the F1 after I send it to him tonight? I have both of them, but the 2007 car is better IMO.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Yeah I could make that happen. How do you do it? :confused:
-First you'll need a usb stick, and format it to FAT32

-Go to game utility data and select the GT5 save (triangle),then select copy, and select the usb drive for the location. (I also recommend backing this save up to a pc in case you screw something up)

-Now that your save is backed up, you can send the car. After you send the car, quit the game back to the XMB.

-Delete the GT5 save file, then go to the backed up save on the usb drive, hit triangle, select copy. The save is now back in the save utility folder, and when you load up the game, you will still have the car.

You can also create alternate account on your PS3 and gift cars to it and then back to yourself, so you can keep your credits.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Maybe sstalder5 can back up his save and send you the F1 after I send it to him tonight? I have both of them, but the 2007 car is better IMO.
Thanks, but I think I'll just grind it out. Hopefully the other seasonal races are worth some dollars. Still have to do a couple of events in the "Extreme" series as well, so I'll earn a bit there.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
-First you'll need a usb stick, and format it to FAT32

-Go to game utility data and select the GT5 save (triangle),then select copy, and select the usb drive for the location. (I also recommend backing this save up to a pc in case you screw something up)

-Now that your save is backed up, you can send the car. After you send the car, quit the game back to the XMB.

-Delete the GT5 save file, then go to the backed up save on the usb drive, hit triangle, select copy. The save is now back in the save utility folder, and when you load up the game, you will still have the car.
that was the good thing with the PS2 and it's memory cards. it did essentially the same thing

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Thanks, but I think I'll just grind it out. Hopefully the other seasonal races are worth some dollars. Still have to do a couple of events in the "Extreme" series as well, so I'll earn a bit there.
That's cool. Seems as though the big payouts are done for the seasonal events. I didn't start doing this myself till I completed everything in A/B-spec other than the endurance races. Now I don't care to sit there and repeat the same races over and over. So I just buy 1 expensive car a day and keep my credits. :thumb:

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
That's cool. Seems as though the big payouts are done for the seasonal events. I didn't start doing this myself till I completed everything in A/B-spec other than the endurance races. Now I don't care to sit there and repeat the same races over and over. So I just buy 1 expensive car a day and keep my credits. :thumb:
Definitely with you there. Typically hate to do the same race over and over. Currently still looking for a car for the historic racing car races as well as the American one. Other than that I'm about done (with A-Spec, B-Spec is reserved for playing while on the indoor trainer).

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Definitely with you there. Typically hate to do the same race over and over. Currently still looking for a car for the historic racing car races as well as the American one. Other than that I'm about done (with A-Spec, B-Spec is reserved for playing while on the indoor trainer).
Chaparral 2J Race Car is your best bet for the historic race. I used a race modded Corvette ZR1 for the American one. You'll need every upgrade to boost the hp on the Vette.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Chaparral 2J Race Car is your best bet for the historic race. I used a race modded Corvette ZR1 for the American one. You'll need every upgrade to boost the hp on the Vette.
Been waiting around forever for that Chaparral 2J to show up again (last time I saw it I was Level 8 or something). I'll try modding the Vette. I was sort of holding out for the race Vette or Ford GT or something, but haven't seen any of those appear recently either.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i was a little bummed that only a few cars can do the RM. i wish there were more choices. there are some cars that i would love to do the RM mod to

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Anyone heard from curbjumper? Any idea what we're doing for week 4?
I think he said he wasn't going to around until today? I PM'ed him saying that he was free to choose the combinations for this week, though I was thinking now that the Circuit de la Sarthe/Madrid combo might be fun.

CurbJumper

Turbo Monkey
Aug 31, 2010
Central FL
Anyone heard from curbjumper? Any idea what we're doing for week 4?
Sorry, I'm back in town!

I think he said he wasn't going to around until today? I PM'ed him saying that he was free to choose the combinations for this week, though I was thinking now that the Circuit de la Sarthe/Madrid combo might be fun.
I was gone all weekend but I got your PM. I like the Cirque de la Sarthe idea so I'll hop on right now and pick out a car. I'm open to suggestions for a Bonus race as well.

Oh, and since we're getting a late start this weeks challenge will run until Friday night. :thumb:

Last edited:

CurbJumper

Turbo Monkey
Aug 31, 2010
Central FL
GT5 Update Info

Gran-Turismo.com said:
Update Notice (1.06) - Feb 18, 2011

An update to Gran Turismo 5 has been released. The contents are as follows:

[Major Changes and New Features]
・Remote Racing
On the bottom left of the [GT Mode] - [Community] screen, [Remote Races] have been added.
You can combine the "My Driver" of you and your friends to start a fully automatic B-Spec race, to gain rewards and experience.
For details please see section 8-4 [Remote Races] in the [Manual] accessible from the top menu and also the new "Remote Race" page in the GT5 product information section on gran-tursimo.com.

・Remote Racing from a Web Browser
For [Remote Races], you can visit the official "gran-turismo.com" website using an internet web browser, and remotely operate your PS3® at home. You can start races, monitor its progress and check the results from the web site. This is a new playing style allowing you to play Gran Turismo anywhere!
Sign in from the [GT5 My Home] button on the upper right of the webpage to get started.

・Using the Course Maker in Online Races
You can now select the "My Tracks" created in [Course Maker] for your online races (Open Lobby, My Lounge), or even race on tracks automatically generated from a selected theme on the spot. (Please note you'll only be able to use My Courses created after this update in this way.)

・Introduction of Performance Points for Online Races
We've now introduced Performance Points (PP), a numerical index of a car's performance for online races. You can set PP restrictions in the regulations of online races (Open Lobby, My Lounge) to regulate the participating cars.
For details, see 6 -15 [Performance Points] in the [Manual] accessible from the top menu screen.

・Increased Rewards and Experience Online
The amount of rewards and experience gained from online racing (Open Lobby and My Lounge) have been increased.

・Expansion of Event Settings for Online Races
[Auto Race Start Cycle] and [Tyre/Fuel Depletion] have been added to the event settings of online races (Open Lobby, My Lounge).

・Increased Penalties for Special Events
The penalties for improper driving such as driving off course and hitting walls have been increased for the [Special Events] in [GT Mode] - [GT Life].

・Event Rewards and Experience Adjusted
The rewards and experience for [Licence] and [Special Events] of [GT Mode] - [GT Life] have been adjusted. Experience for A-Spec and B-Spec events have been increased, while rewards have been reduced back down to levels seen before the 1.05 update.

・Car Loan in Events
In A-Spec and B-Spec events in [GT Mode] - [GT Life], as well as when participating in [Special Events], you can now rent cars that your Friends have set to share with friends.
For details see 6-16 [Borrowing and Lending Cars] in the [Manual] accessible from the top menu screen.

・Settings
Individual gear adjustment, power limiters, and weight adjustment have been added to the settings. For details see [18. Settings Guide] in the [Manual] accessible from the top menu screen.

・Multi Monitor
From [Options] - [Hardware] - [Multi Monitor], you can now set multi-monitor display settings using multiple PS3™ systems.
You can now enjoy Gran Turismo 5 in an incredibly wide display environment combining multiple PS3™ systems and TV's/monitors.
For details please see the support section on gran-turismo.com.

[Changes and Additions to Game Operations]
- It is now possible to replay and save [2 Player Races].
- [Controller Steering Sensitivity] has been added to [Driving Options].
- [Corner Camber] has been added to the section settings of the [Course Maker].
- In A Spec events including endurance races, a confirmation prompt has been added before restarting a race from the beginning.
- In replays, B Spec and while watching races, you can now change viewing targets directly from the screen without having to use a separate window list.
- User selected background music can now be used when voice chat is disabled in a [Lounge].
- Cars in your garage that are not registered as 'Favorites' can now be used in a [Lounge].
- When a tyre restriction is enabled in a Lounge regulation, only cars having tyres that match the regulation will be displayed in the garage.
- Driver and car display selections during races will be saved.
- It is now possible to perform settings for karts in the [Quick Menu].
- It is now possible to select multiple items in some major screens, such as when selecting the on/off of favourites in the [Garage].

[AI Adjustment]
- Race choreography and opponent car AI controls for licence tests and A Spec events have been adjusted.
- Opponent car AI controls during B Spec races have been improved.
- The evasive manoeuvres of opponent cars when a players car blocks the track has been improved.

[Correction of Issues]
- Corrected an issue where it was possible to gain points unfairly in drift trials.
- Corrected an issue where it was not possible to view the 4th sector in the live monitor.
-Corrected an issue where the sound would not change when replacing the exhaust system or turbo kit.
- Corrected an issue where the save data becomes unable to load when exceeding a certain file size.

[Other Changes]
- A searchable item called [Race Type] has been added during room creation in the [Open Lobby].
- The lap times for the [X Challenge] in [Special Events] have been adjusted.
- Game save speed has been optimised.
- The HDD access warning message that was displayed at game startup has been disabled for faster startup.
- The background of car demos during an [Auto Demo] is now displayed randomly in 4 types (Morning/Day/Night/White) as is in the [Dealership].
- The "S-AWC" integrated four wheel drive system of the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X has been adjusted.
- The [Feedback Strength] of the Thrustmaster T500RS can now be adjusted across a wider range.