Quantcast

Matchew

Monkey
May 26, 2006
NH / Mass (ugh)
J
EDIT: So what exactly does the race mod do? Any advantages over just fully tuning it other than only one click? Thinking about race-modding my elise for the challenge.
Haven't tried the race mod on any cars yet but the full aero kit made a huge difference with the Elise. It doesn't speed wobble down straights and you can really tune the cars stability in fast turns, no front DF adjustment though.

I finally was able to drive the FGT in a controllable manner after turning the front DF down 20 clicks from stock, adding more negative rear camber, and bumping up the top speed 5 clicks from stock. I was having crazy issues with oversteer and the downforce mostly solved the problem, camber helps more at low speed. I miss being able to customize each gear in the transmission, only complaint with the game. I always downshift to 2nd too early and spin out from the engine over reving while I'm in the middle of the turn. If I could throw a shorter gear in it would probably solve the problem

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
Turns out the race mod makes the elise ineligible for the challenge, but now I at least now I have 2 completely tuned elises to compare. Biggest difference for the race mod is a lot more downforce can be applied, if I remember right i was 50 or 60 units in the rear and 30 in the front, as opposed to 20 in the rear and 0 front.

The RM elise with every part available and soft slicks handles like a 160mph go kart, the thing is amazing, you just point and go.

I agree not being able to adjust individual gear ratios is lame. There are several things like that which lead me to believe Kaz had a massive trollface on as he was developing this thing.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
they were probably the easiest races of the whole game. i maxed out all my cars thinking the competition would be tough. it wasnt
You do see the option to view typical opponents prior to each race, right? It shows you the opponents bhp. If you view this and set your car up accordingly, you can have a fun/competitive race every time. Tire choice makes a huge difference whether you will dominate the field or not as well. The AI will never use race tires, unless they are in a race car.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
You do see the option to view typical opponents prior to each race, right? It shows you the opponents bhp. If you view this and set your car up accordingly, you can have a fun/competitive race every time. Tire choice makes a huge difference whether you will dominate the field or not as well. The AI will never use race tires, unless they are in a race car.
they "typical opponents" are usually never the cars they show on the list.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
they "typical opponents" are usually never the cars they show on the list.
Strange, 90% of the time most of the cars on that list show up in my races. The other ones that show up and aren't on the list, seem to have about the same bhp and tires though. It's still a good guideline none the less. Unless you're just looking to get through the rest for XP and credits as fast as possible. I just don't see any fun in finishing a race 20 seconds ahead of 2nd place.

CurbJumper

Turbo Monkey
Aug 31, 2010
Central FL
I'm getting super frustrated with the IC-class license final test. In the past 2 days I've put more hours in on that test than I'd like to count, and I still can't get a damn GOLD!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'm at A-spec 27, B-spec 27 and am kind of in a rut.

I've done all the season events, finished all the special events (albeit with silvers in the AMG challenges, which aren't worth a ton), finished all the licenses (30 gold, 30 silver, not motivated for all gold), and finished all the events through the Extremes with all gold. Although I've done the first endurance event I'm not particularly psyched about the other endurance events. Meh.

Might be time to move to a different game, methinks.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC

I've done all the season events, finished all the special events (albeit with silvers in the AMG challenges, which aren't worth a ton), finished all the licenses (30 gold, 30 silver, not motivated for all gold), and finished all the events through the Extremes with all gold. Although I've done the first endurance event I'm not particularly psyched about the other endurance events. Meh.

Leveling up after level 27 is a pain in the ass. The seasonal events definitely help though. Im at level 33 now, and mostly just setup cars to race online. I have no interest in doing the really long endurance races, unless they add the option to save at a pit stop or something mid race.

Once you get to level 30 and unlock the S. Vettel challenge, you rank up quickly even if you only get bronze. Driving the X1 too much will ruin the game for you though. After driving it, everything just feels slow. I only use it to quickly finish B-Spec races anymore.

Just picking a car and taking it to the Nurburgring is still enough to keep my interest at the moment. It's also nice that you gain xp and credits while racing online now too. Plus racing online is much more competitive and fun compared to racing the slow/half retarded AI.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
im at 28.5 now and its taking forever again to get through level 28. thats good to know online racing gives you XP. i havent raced online yet.
the Laguna Seca race was the shortest and least monotonous, though i love the track. doing the endurance races in intervals saves your sanity.

some of the GT Academy race times are nuts. i have no idea how the top times are so far ahead of mine. all of them have wheels, but can that really take off abother 6-10 seconds?

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder

I can't get into the B-spec races. They're just not fun for me. Its like a back seat driving simulator :rolleyes:

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
some of the GT Academy race times are nuts. i have no idea how the top times are so far ahead of mine. all of them have wheels, but can that really take off abother 6-10 seconds?
I have a wheel, and Im still usually about 1.5-3 seconds off the top times. I also get bored hotlapping, and only run a handful of laps. I've accepted the fact that Im just not as fast.

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
Level 24 and I suddenly lost interest with this game today. Extreme series is more annoying than fun, watching the b-spec was so unbelievably frustrating I rage-threw my controller against the ground and now it has a nice rattle and I'm not sure if my R1 button works...

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
Level 24 and I suddenly lost interest with this game today. Extreme series is more annoying than fun, watching the b-spec was so unbelievably frustrating I rage-threw my controller against the ground and now it has a nice rattle and I'm not sure if my R1 button works...
Agree with you on the B-spec mongness, but finally finding the racing challenging @lvl23. Ask me again in a week though, I might be equally frustrated...

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
has anybody noticed that people online will boot you if you beat them in their own room? I think they should take the boot feature away. I always get booted when I use my Lotus race car in the low hp limit rooms...

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
The boot feature is a necessary evil if you ask me. Sure it gets abused but who wants to race with someone like that anyhow. I haven't played too much online except for a few hours the other night with quite a few people from /o/ doing a best car for <$15,000 challenge. I've been unable to play because I nerd raged at the b-spec driver and slammed my controller on the ground (was aiming for the couch...) and now my should buttons only sort of work and buttons seemingly push themselves. Really need to sell some stuff to get tat g27... (anyone need some xbox controllers? :D)

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Finally got around to playing with the G25 wheel. Force feedback is not the greatest and causes the much hated oscillating wheel motion on straightaways. Just generally feels weird and doesn't really communicate much about whether or not the front or back of the car is sliding. Pretty much have to get that information based on the audio.

Also, tried the Nascar at the Nurburgring Seasonal Event again and pretty much just maintained pace with the rest of the field. Finished dead last. Laptimes were around 7:10. Is there an alternate setup for these cars? The wheel definitely helped with avoiding wheelspin in 1st gear, but apparently I was still WAY too slow.

Another random observation. Just obtained the Formula GT car and driving with the view looking out over the front wheels. There's no engine sound with this view? Makes it slightly challenging to select the correct gear as fast as that car goes through them.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Finally got around to playing with the G25 wheel. Force feedback is not the greatest and causes the much hated oscillating wheel motion on straightaways. Just generally feels weird and doesn't really communicate much about whether or not the front or back of the car is sliding. Pretty much have to get that information based on the audio.

Also, tried the Nascar at the Nurburgring Seasonal Event again and pretty much just maintained pace with the rest of the field. Finished dead last. Laptimes were around 7:10. Is there an alternate setup for these cars? The wheel definitely helped with avoiding wheelspin in 1st gear, but apparently I was still WAY too slow.

Another random observation. Just obtained the Formula GT car and driving with the view looking out over the front wheels. There's no engine sound with this view? Makes it slightly challenging to select the correct gear as fast as that car goes through them.
Give the wheel a little more time, you'll get used to it. I recommend getting in a slower car that handles really good (something AWD maybe), and taking it to a track you know really well. Run laps for about 30 minutes, and you should already see an improvement. The fact that you have the G25 might make what Im saying pointless, as there is a good chance you've been using it in other games for a while......

As far as NASCAR at the ring, how well do you know the track? Winning that race will definitely take well under min lap times.

I drive the FGT in the same view, and I can hear the engine just fine. Sounds strange....

has anybody noticed that people online will boot you if you beat them in their own room? I think they should take the boot feature away. I always get booted when I use my Lotus race car in the low hp limit rooms...
I would at least give you the option to change cars before booting you. The Lotus with RM will dominate any other car in the game in that hp range, no questions asked. I finally did the race mod on mine last night and took it to the Nurburgring. I was able to do a 7:09.xx in a car that had approx 245 hp (don't quote me on that time, Im going from memory). You can drive most of the track with the accelerator to the floor. I'll drive it again tonight and see what kind of time I can get again. I know I was shocked at the lap time though.

Last edited:

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Give the wheel a little more time, you'll get used to it. I recommend getting in a slower car that handles really good (something AWD maybe), and taking it to a track you know really well. Run laps for about 30 minutes, and you should already see an improvement. The fact that you have the G25 might make what Im saying pointless, as there is a good chance you've been using it in other games for a while......

As far as NASCAR at the ring, how well do you know the track? Winning that race will definitely take well under min lap times.

I drive the FGT in the same view, and I can hear the engine just fine. Sounds strange....
Yeah, I've used the G25 pretty extensively with GT4, GTR-2, LFS, GT5 Prologue etc. Just not impressed with the GT5 FFB implementation. But I haven't played around with the FFB strength and just set it to "simulation", which feels exactly the same as whatever the default was. Just find the tendency to provide that oscillating force from left to right on straightaways really annoying. With PC stuff you can usually edit the settings enough to reduce that (in terms of centering, strength, and the different effects), but not much to change in GT5.

Very familiar with the Nurburgring. All gold/silver on the AMG challenge. I can definitely see cutting ~10 seconds a lap, but 30 seconds a lap seems pretty well impossible. Fortunately, I think that Seasonal Event ended yesterday anyway. But I do have to complete the NASCAR race series still.

Come to think of it, I probably have my audio settings wrong.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Yeah, I've used the G25 pretty extensively with GT4, GTR-2, LFS, GT5 Prologue etc. Just not impressed with the GT5 FFB implementation. But I haven't played around with the FFB strength and just set it to "simulation", which feels exactly the same as whatever the default was. Just find the tendency to provide that oscillating force from left to right on straightaways really annoying. With PC stuff you can usually edit the settings enough to reduce that (in terms of centering, strength, and the different effects), but not much to change in GT5.

Very familiar with the Nurburgring. All gold/silver on the AMG challenge. I can definitely see cutting ~10 seconds a lap, but 30 seconds a lap seems pretty well impossible. Fortunately, I think that Seasonal Event ended yesterday anyway. But I do have to complete the NASCAR race series still.

Come to think of it, I probably have my audio settings wrong.
GT5 is the first game I've ever played with a FF wheel. I definitely understand what you're saying. When I first used it, it felt like I had to fight the wheel just to drive in a straight line. After a few hours, I didn't even notice it though. From what I've been told, the FF settings in GT5 have no effect on the G25 or G27. You're stuck with default, cause they aren't fully supported. Even the sim/power steering options don't apply to the DFGT. You'll notice they only highlight the old wheels when you go to those options.

Can't remember what my lap times were on the NASCAR ring challenge, but I was in 1st place before the end of the first lap. Only assist I use is ABS set to 1. I'll try and post the setup for my car later if I get a chance.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
I would at least give you the option to change cars before booting you. The Lotus with RM will dominate any other car in the game in that hp range, no questions asked. I finally did the race mod on mine last night and took it to the Nurburgring. I was able to do a 7:09.xx in a car that had approx 245 hp (don't quote me on that time, Im going from memory). You can drive most of the track with the accelerator to the floor. I'll drive it again tonight and see what kind of time I can get again. I know I was shocked at the lap time though.
I mean I'm not running it in the <300hp rooms or anything.. I'll usually find one with a limit of 4-500hp and i'll be pretty evenly matched. But like yesterday I was in a really good competitive room and after a race that the host came in 5th or 6th out of 12 he booted everyone that finished ahead of him. :think: And one guy did give me the option to change cars by taking off the hp limit and upping the weight limit so he could use some racecar, but then booted me after I still beat him in my audi. :rolleyes:

I just think they're are too many sore losers to keep the boot feature. They should eliminate it and only use the vote feature

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
I mean I'm not running it in the <300hp rooms or anything.. I'll usually find one with a limit of 4-500hp and i'll be pretty evenly matched. But like yesterday I was in a really good competitive room and after a race that the host came in 5th or 6th out of 12 he booted everyone that finished ahead of him. :think: And one guy did give me the option to change cars by taking off the hp limit and upping the weight limit so he could use some racecar, but then booted me after I still beat him in my audi. :rolleyes:

I just think they're are too many sore losers to keep the boot feature. They should eliminate it and only use the vote feature
Ok. Well that's a little different if you're running it in higher hp rooms. Some people are just sore losers I guess. I'd rather race people that are either beating me, or right on my tail making me push harder. The Lotus with RM still has quite an advantage, even at higher hp with how light it is though.

I like the option to kick people from a room Im hosting. Usually if someone sounds like their balls haven't dropped yet, they get the boot. Or if you come in to the lobby talking like you're half retarded, you will promptly be kicked.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Ok. Well that's a little different if you're running it in higher hp rooms. Some people are just sore losers I guess. I'd rather race people that are either beating me, or right on my tail making me push harder. The Lotus with RM still has quite an advantage, even at higher hp with how light it is though.

I like the option to kick people from a room Im hosting. Usually if someone sounds like their balls haven't dropped yet, they get the boot. Or if you come in to the lobby talking like you're half retarded, you will promptly be kicked.
Yeah if I'm off the front or off the back more than a few car lengths I'll usually go find another room. If I wanted to win by a mile I'd just race A-spec offline..

And I understand the good uses of booting people but I think the bad outweighs the good here. They should at least add something where the host can suggest to boot someone and it has to be seconded by someone else in the room for it to happen. You should still be able to get idiots and 12 year olds out of your room, but most of the time the sore losers wouldn't be able to boot people that beat them

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
this damn FGT series is driving me nuts. the first two races were easy and now Monaco/Cote De Azure, is a PITA. hit a wall or crash and its damn hard to try and make up the ground.
i wish they had a restart option for one race and not lose your overall progress....or even a optional "flashback" like some other games have...though i know no one would want that on GT5.
i shut the game off during the middle of the race but i think when i restart the system, it will bring me back to the menu to start the race again...at least i hope so

the new seasonal races are once again easy. i kept my HP numbers inline with the top car and it still proved to be easy. the GTi race was the toughest one i suppose of the bunch.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Yeah if I'm off the front or off the back more than a few car lengths I'll usually go find another room. If I wanted to win by a mile I'd just race A-spec offline..

And I understand the good uses of booting people but I think the bad outweighs the good here. They should at least add something where the host can suggest to boot someone and it has to be seconded by someone else in the room for it to happen. You should still be able to get idiots and 12 year olds out of your room, but most of the time the sore losers wouldn't be able to boot people that beat them
PSN is JeffKill77. Add me on there and we'll race sometime. I mainly like racing the Nurburgring, but I'll race any track really.

As for that RM'd Elise. It really is too good for it's own good. I have mine at 244 hp and I did a 7:00.xx on the ring tonight. Which is just ridiculous. Gonna have to max one out and see what it can do now :D

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
this damn FGT series is driving me nuts. the first two races were easy and now Monaco/Cote De Azure, is a PITA. hit a wall or crash and its damn hard to try and make up the ground.
i wish they had a restart option for one race and not lose your overall progress....or even a optional "flashback" like some other games have...though i know no one would want that on GT5.
i shut the game off during the middle of the race but i think when i restart the system, it will bring me back to the menu to start the race again...at least i hope so

the new seasonal races are once again easy. i kept my HP numbers inline with the top car and it still proved to be easy. the GTi race was the toughest one i suppose of the bunch.
I feel bad for anyone trying to be consistent in that car with a controller. It's definitely much easier to run 20 clean laps with a wheel. And if you shut off the console in the middle of a race, you lost your progress. It's just gonna load the game from the beginning again. It doesn't do the same with games as it does with dvds.

Haven't tried the new seasonal events yet, but I'll get around to it this weekend. For the last ones I stuck with whatever tires came on the cars, and upgraded to the fully adjustable suspension. Took a couple of tries for each of them, and they were all close races. I definitely wouldn't mind seeing the restrictions put back in place though.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
PSN is JeffKill77. Add me on there and we'll race sometime. I mainly like racing the Nurburgring, but I'll race any track really.

As for that RM'd Elise. It really is too good for it's own good. I have mine at 244 hp and I did a 7:00.xx on the ring tonight. Which is just ridiculous. Gonna have to max one out and see what it can do now :D
It seems like a lot of people like that track. I should practice on it more :rolleyes:

And my RM elise is 315hp:thumb:

PSN name is sstalder5. I don't have a mic, but I'll still race

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
You all can add me too: jekyll991. I won't be playing until i source a cheap controller from somewhere or break down and order a G27...

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Anyone do the latest seasonal events? I really wish they would just restrict these to no modifications and adjust the difficulty accordingly. They currently tend to be impossible with no modifications, but ridiculously easy with just a few. I took a stab at a "competitive" setup for the Peugot/Cote d'Azur challenge and wound up lapping cars pretty easily by the end. Went with the stock "Schwimmwagen" and lost 30 seconds to the leader between the first two splits. Clearly some mods in order, but I'd rather have a stock Schwimmwagen in my garage...and they're $600K or something, so it's not like I'm going to buy another one. I don't understand a lot of PD's strategy for this game.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
I'd like to see restrictions put back on the seasonal events also. But other than the Schwimmwagen race, all the others in the 5th series could be won with a stock car.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
I'd like to see restrictions put back on the seasonal events also. But other than the Schwimmwagen race, all the others in the 5th series could be won with a stock car.
Hmm, good to know. I used to try each one a few times with a stock car, but it seems like they're usually tailored so that it's pretty much impossible. The other cars I'll leave alone and have a go. Which touring car did you use? I only have the 190, which I haven't driven yet.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
ive been trying to race online, but it seems everyone likes to just crash into each other and not actually race. or they just like to free roam for 45mins and do nothing. if i win, or come close to winning, i get the boot.
lame

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
ive been trying to race online, but it seems everyone likes to just crash into each other and not actually race. or they just like to free roam for 45mins and do nothing. if i win, or come close to winning, i get the boot.
lame
That sucks. I've been lucky I guess, haven't had 1 problem online. Most of the time I start my own room though. Might take 10-15 minutes to get a few people in there, but it's usually good racing. Make sure you select rooms with no skid recovery force, that seems to attract people that can't drive worth a sh*t.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I fired up the PS3 for the first time in two weeks or so to do the seasonal events. I made it through the second to last round (culminating in the JGTC cars at High Speed Ring) before getting bored/sleepy--do keep in mind that I worked all night before this so it's not too damning an indictment. :D

I kept the MiEV completely stock but did minor stuff to the rest (chip, sport exhaust, sport cat, sport softs) and added the big turbo and racing softs to my Castrol Tom's Supra since I just wanted to get the event over with.

CurbJumper

Turbo Monkey
Aug 31, 2010
Central FL
Re: this weeks seasonal races...

I can lend someone cars for the seasonal races if anybody needs one or some. I just built a BAD ASS Shwimmwagen. 120hp, 800kg, racing med tires and painted white Gotta get the full customize trans or you'll be doing 60mph for 5 laps around Cape Ring. ZZzzzzzz...

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
10 of my recent favorite cars:

-Sauber C9 race car
-Cucso Dunlop Impreza (if you don't have this car, buy it NOW)
-High End Performance G37 (tuned to 500hp)
-Amuse NISMO 380RS Super Leggera (tuned to 400hp)
-Ford GT LM Spec II Test Car
-69 Camaro RM
-Dodge Viper GTS-R Team Oreca Race Car
-Subaru WRX STI spec C Type RA RM 05
-Pagani Zonda LM Race Car
-BMW M3 GTR Race Car

I can stay amused for hours just tuning and testing on the Nurburgring.