Quantcast

>>>Grindstone Montag GMT<<<

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
More good news! They finally reviewed my application and I am set to sub in our school district! @TreeSaw I must share the joy of this news with you!! :happydance: So after interview today, I will reply and either go to orientation this week or, if things look super promising at the real estate gig, do that. But in any event, I'm going to be bringing home some income now! Woot!

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
$3500 for a used tool box.

It is a nice shade of blue, though.
No shit, our Snap-on chest at work has several things missing. Well over $1000 worth of tools missing.

At home back East in P.A. My uncle saw mama bear and 2 cubs in our yard. We know they were back there but rarely come out of the woods, (At least in our yard). Last time they did, someone forgot to empty the grease trap on the grill and the bear cleaned it for us. We only know that because of the big ass prints in the snow.

EDIT: Cups changed to Cubs

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
And @ $5k, I can see why.
TOOLS NOT INCLUDED
:rofl:

I have never said I wasn't aware of the cost of Snap On (I have worked on their route before), but I will never be able to justify them over Craftsman, just saying. It's a tool box, it holds tools. The box itself CAN DO NOTHING OTHER THAN THAT.

But if you want to honor #3, I guess there is no better way than to spend more on the box for your tools than the tools that go in it.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Epic weekend of bikes happened. Now I'm dragging ass at work. Got 3 shuttle runs in Tahoe (including first tracks in snow covered trails) and one shuttle in Auburn on Saturday. Pictures to follow at some point. Stopped in at Moonraker Brewery in Auburn and it is as good as adverted, they scored 9th best brewery in the world on Beer Rate. There DIPAs are off the charts good.

Sunday went to the BMX track with my lady for some digging and riding then hit the local bike path out Wente Vinyards for wine tasting and food. Pretty fucking successful if you ask me.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

I have never said I wasn't aware of the cost of Snap On (I have worked on their route before), but I will never be able to justify them over Craftsman, just saying. It's a tool box, it holds tools. The box itself CAN DO NOTHING OTHER THAN THAT.

But if you want to honor #3, I guess there is no better way than to spend more on the box for your tools than the tools that go in it.
Even the boxes are Harbor Freight are pretty nice.

I wish I had $5K to spend on a toolbox. My toolbox and all of the tools in it can't even sniff that territory.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Tired from Pisgah, climb, climb, climb, plummet down a rock infested root ball, repeat as necessary.

Slept poorly last night, laid in bed till nearly two, now it's dark and raining. Clearly the only thing to do is laundry and take a nap.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Even the boxes are Harbor Freight are pretty nice.

I wish I had $5K to spend on a toolbox. My toolbox and all of the tools in it can't even sniff that territory.
Agreed, the Harbor Freight stuff has come a long way. I have an original HF box that was total garbage, but my cart from HF is damn nice and cost me less than $100 on sale. That would have been at least $500 from SnapOn.

I have a ton of tools, 1/3 of which are scattered around the garage. But my work area is a disaster, I might reorganize the garage some day. I have tried a few times, but it hasn't worked. I will be making room for the new moto project this winter and might even find most of my tools. :rofl:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
battery shit the bed in the jetta yesterday.....175.00 for a battery...wtf.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

If I had to replace all my tools, and my box, I'd wager it would cost >$20000.

Snap-on/Mac are better feeling tools if you use them every day and tend to hold up better. Worth the price difference? I'm not sure. Craftsman however, does not drive their truck to my place of employment on a weekly basis. (Though, come to think of it, not sure when the last time was I saw the Snap-on or Mac guy either). All of my tools and my toolbox are either Mac or Snap-on. That said, when I got out of A&P school, both offered complete sets of tool at some absolutely stupid discount. Like, couldn't buy harbor freight tools for the prices. Couldn't pass up a set from Mac for the price. He came to where I worked every Tuesday, and was a great guy. Of course this is the standard drug-dealer, get them hooked model of business, but whatever. My snap on toolbox I bought used, from a guy that bought it the year I was born. IIRC I paid 500 bucks for it. One day I'll buy some fancy paint and haul it into the paint booth and give it an overhaul.

There are guys here that paid well north of 10-15 grand for tool boxes. I can't even fathom paying more for a tool box than I've paid for most cars I've owned.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

Snap-on/Mac are better feeling tools if you use them every day and tend to hold up better. Worth the price difference? I'm not sure. Craftsman however, does not drive their truck to my place of employment on a weekly basis. (Though, come to think of it, not sure when the last time was I saw the Snap-on or Mac guy either). All of my tools and my toolbox are either Mac or Snap-on. That said, when I got out of A&P school, both offered complete sets of tool at some absolutely stupid discount. Like, couldn't buy harbor freight tools for the prices. Couldn't pass up a set from Mac for the price. He came to where I worked every Tuesday, and was a great guy. Of course this is the standard drug-dealer, get them hooked model of business, but whatever. My snap on toolbox I bought used, from a guy that bought it the year I was born. IIRC I paid 500 bucks for it. One day I'll buy some fancy paint and haul it into the paint booth and give it an overhaul.

There are guys here that paid well north of 10-15 grand for tool boxes. I can't even fathom paying more for a tool box than I've paid for most cars I've owned.
I find the downfall of Craftsman to be most unfortunate in that regard. There's a definite difference in the quality of the tools since they outsourced the majority of production to Asia. Now I can't say they feel any better than the stuff at Harbor Freight.

Their departure, in my mind, left a gaping hole in the middle of the road tool game. I guess it's a good thing I got most of the basics when they were still made in the USA, but have taken to combing eBay for Snap On stuff when I need some of the specialty items.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Asked IT to do a project.
Warned IT of the massive problem we had doing this project last year.
IT round one was a failure, and it was the exact same failure to link data fields as last year.
Pointed out failure.
IT round two resolved the "failure" by deleting source data instead of linking to it.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Asked IT to do a project.
Warned IT of the massive problem we had doing this project last year.
IT round one was a failure, and it was the exact same failure to link data fields as last year.
Pointed out failure.
IT round two resolved the "failure" by deleting source data instead of linking to it.
Too busy making paperclips

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

If I used my tools daily, then maybe I would notice a difference (I would also likely know where they all were, too). But my brother has a sh!t ton of SnapOn tools I learned with and it never made me think of much difference. I know there are also some really cool specialty tools that Crafstman doesn't even make.

My 1/2 drive socket wrench died with me trying to use it as a breaker bar and Sears gave me a new one. They don't drive to my house once a week, but it is only 8 minute drive for me to the Sears Home Store and I don't need a receipt, they just swap it out.

And again, it is a BOX FOR TOOLS. The tools themselves, sure. But $10k for a box to keep them in? :rofl:

But I am a software engineer that uses open source tools (The Harbor Freight of software) daily, so maybe I am used to half assed. :D

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
And again, it is a BOX FOR TOOLS. The tools themselves, sure. But $10k for a box to keep them in? :rofl:
No argument here. Like I said, the only reason mine is a snap-on is because it was 23 years old when I bought it and I got it super cheap. I honestly can't tell much of a difference between the 15K boxes some guys have and the Costco special boxes some of the other guys have. I could, maybe, justify the ///M box, or that swanky silver one, when my kid is out of college and I no longer have a mortgage, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Edit: Gads, I just realized I've had that tool box longer than I've had almost anything else in my life. Makes me feel bad for not painting it already. Maybe I'll get some new wheels too.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
in two or three years i bet BIKE will be testing the latest in FS mountainbikes and i doubt they will bat an eye when they say the top of the line bike is 14k....

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
No argument here. Like I said, the only reason mine is a snap-on is because it was 23 years old when I bought it and I got it super cheap.
The first hit is cheap (or free)...

I knew an old guy who paid stupid money for a set of BelAir SnapOn boxs. They was pretty awesome, but I recall the price being about what a '57 BelAir costs.

Pic for reference (The inside of the lid has some stuff, too)