Quantcast

Guerrilla Gravity, badass frame manufacturer in Colorado

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Dude it's borderline illegal to ride in The Bay anymore. Sounds like Marin is gonna be speed trapping most trails now? Jesus I need to get a county job and cheer for those with high speeds. Just ticket 1 a week so its not suspect....
They can only ticket you if you stop! 9 years of riding illegal trails in California and still ZERO tickets! I'm a champion. Someone give me a medal.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
They can only ticket you if you stop! 9 years of riding illegal trails in California and still ZERO tickets! I'm a champion. Someone give me a medal.
I was arrested and taken to county in Marin for being a week late on paying a mountain bike ticket. I had a broken arm at the time and the cop felt he had to cuff me anyways so he handcuffed my good arm to my back belt loop. Then they had to "move my car for me" and in the process ransacked it. The booking officers at county couldn't believe what I'd been brought in for and let me out of my cell to sit and watch South Park with them until I got bailed out. The judges first words on hearing the case details were "they're pretty bored out there in Fairfax".

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I was arrested and taken to county in Marin for being a week late on paying a mountain bike ticket. I had a broken arm at the time and the cop felt he had to cuff me anyways so he handcuffed my good arm to my back belt loop. Then they had to "move my car for me" and in the process ransacked it. The booking officers at county couldn't believe what I'd been brought in for and let me out of my cell to sit and watch South Park with them until I got bailed out. The judges first words on hearing the case details were "they're pretty bored out there in Fairfax".
the question still stands... why did you stop?!

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
the question still stands... why did you stop?!
I was exiting a trail I'd never ridden before that dropped me right into a cul-de-sac. Ranger and sheriff were both parked waiting for me. Ranger wanted to let me off with a warning, sheriff wanted to be a dick. I suppose I could have tried pedaling out of there, but I had no idea where I was exactly and both of them were in vehicles.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I was exiting a trail I'd never ridden before that dropped me right into a cul-de-sac. Ranger and sheriff were both parked waiting for me. Ranger wanted to let me off with a warning, sheriff wanted to be a dick. I suppose I could have tried pedaling out of there, but I had no idea where I was exactly and both of them were in vehicles.
You could've just screamed "Avid brakes, watch out!!" and just blasted out of sight. No way they could pin that on you.

Btw, color me unsurprised that the ranger was cool and the sheriff was the uniformed fuck stick.

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
Wednesday morning conference call leads to bike dreaming. Emailed Cane Creek with when they're building out metric shox. And put all my spare change in wrappers ready for deposit. Going to earn 1% on that $15.76, soon enough, Megatrail will be mine......

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Wednesday morning conference call leads to bike dreaming. Emailed Cane Creek with when they're building out metric shox. And put all my spare change in wrappers ready for deposit. Going to earn 1% on that $15.76, soon enough, Megatrail will be mine......

I was wondering about that as well, what did you hear from Cane Creek about metric shocks?

And which one? the Megatrail SS or just the Megatrail?

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
I was wondering about that as well, what did you hear from Cane Creek about metric shocks?

And which one? the Megatrail SS or just the Megatrail?
Doh!!!! Here is response:

We will be offering Metric shocks for sure - the 230x65 size would be available in either DBAirCS -or- DBCoilCS although I'm not sure when/how quickly. Which new frame?

If you're asking about your DBAir[IL] we wouldn't be able to do it as we're not offering DBAir[IL] any longer than the 210 length - however if you have a DBAirCS or DBCoilCS - then let me know which size (or shock s/n) and I'll check on it for you.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
That is what I want. GG, any chance of this becoming a stock option?
There are coil shocks on order for the Megatrail as a standard option. It's a new model that will debut soon, but is still on embargo.

Question for you guys: What are your thoughts on a coil shock for the SS? We're trying to figure out demand. I certainly have my own opinion, but looking to gather others'.

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
Cool,
I checked and the SS is 230x57.5 shock, so I guess I could put a inline coil on there if I find the deluxe to be lackluster

Edit:
Although a few people I chatted with at GG did say that the new deluxe is riding nice
I suppose the email response from CC is not 100% mondoclear™ but it made me think all inlines are only offered up to 210mm. For the Mega and Megass you'd need a full DBcoil CS, which they will make at 230mm lengths. amiright?

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I suppose the email response from CC is not 100% mondoclear™ but it made me think all inlines are only offered up to 210mm. For the Mega and Megass you'd need a full DBcoil CS, which they will make at 230mm lengths. amiright?
Their reply doesn't seem to address the Coil Inline at all. Am I missing something?

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
You would be correct, I would be looking the full blown DBcoil

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
There are coil shocks on order for the Megatrail as a standard option. It's a new model that will debut soon, but is still on embargo.

Question for you guys: What are your thoughts on a coil shock for the SS? We're trying to figure out demand. I certainly have my own opinion, but looking to gather others'.
To me, 145mm of coil sprung rear travel with bad ass geometry (ie the SS with coil and a 160mm fork) would kick ass for 99% of what I ride. To whit, my V2 Spitfire with 140mm travel and a DBAir kicked all manner of ass in Pisgah. The added bonus of going this route is a more trail oriented 135mm travel mode for the less demanding stuff that I ride often.

The full blown MT is a bad ass big mountain crushing weapon that gives me tight pants and I very much wish I regularly rode trails that really need 170/165mm of travel. For me (and many) the SS makes a ton of sense and the added capability you get with a coil would make it a profoundly versatile bike.

So in short, count one vote for coil SS option. The real question is how weird am I? In a parallel example, how many people buy the skis for the conditions the want to ski, rather than the conditions they actually ski?

Last edited:

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC

I think it would be cool to have one as an option, but not 100% necessary like ones for the full size megatrail.

I have enjoyed seeing people putting coils on some smaller travel trail bikes (seen a few scouts with DB coils).

But I would not be too sure how a coil would behave with travel switching between 135mm and 145mm.

also, with the SS, for the adjusting travel, is the full length of the shock getting compressed 10mm when you switch to the 135mm travel mode from 145mm?

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Thanks for the input, others feel free to continue chiming in.

roflbox: the shock extended length does not change when going from Trail to Gravity, it's the leverage curve that changes to produce the travel increase.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Thanks for the input, others feel free to continue chiming in.
A little off topic...but since you asked to chime in...A Trail Pistol with 140 and 150mm travel. Benchmark against Niner RIP, Trek 29 thingy, Specialized E29. Pretty sure there are more. Could cover DH/Enduro/Trail territory.

Railing ruts, crushing sluts. Err.. Rocks.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

I've ridden a super deluxe so I know better than to think a bike with (*ahem*) a correctly designed leverage curve needs a coil to work well. Don't need the weight.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW

I used to ride a Banshee Spitfire V2 with an Avalanche-tuned Fox Van RC. The thing ripped. With the introduction of these new, lighter weight coil shocks (like the CCDB Coil IL), I think it's a much more viable option for guys who are a little bit weight conscious, but are of the opinion that performance matters more.

I'm already seriously considering your SS, and a coil shock option would be icing on the cake. Seriously.

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I've ridden a super deluxe so I know better than to think a bike with (*ahem*) a correctly designed leverage curve needs a coil to work well. Don't need the weight.
How do you like the super delux?
I can only seem to find press releases and 1 portion of a PB article on them.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I don't own it so certainly haven't put it through it's paces. But on that new transition patrol carbon, that thing is tits. Super supple off the top. Probably the most so of any air shock I've experienced. Like with a coil, I could just about initiate movement with my index finger on the seat.

They still don't make good compression damping circuits so pairing it with an intelligently designed bike (talking leverage here) is a good idea. But that's always the case with any shock.

CheetaMike

Monkey
Jul 17, 2016
Whonnock BC Canada
hell maybe even give one the option of ordering the frame with both shocks for guys who play with their set-ups per mountain and such . , the bike has the BB ride height option , for some being to swap the shock out and adjust the BB and let it hang out be it on the trails or in the park . I know spots around here where I would love to be running a coil and others the air shock is the best route .

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
hell maybe even give one the option of ordering the frame with both shocks for guys who play with their set-ups per mountain and such . , the bike has the BB ride height option , for some being to swap the shock out and adjust the BB and let it hang out be it on the trails or in the park . I know spots around here where I would love to be running a coil and others the air shock is the best route .
That is an option, it's just not in the drop down menus on the website. Call or email us and we can add it on to your order.

It's a careful balance of how much info and options to provide. If every option is listed on the builder, lots of folks would look at it, eyes glaze over, and next thing you know they're on the floor having a seizure.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California

I'd dig a coil option as long as the leverage rate of the frame doesn't go regressive at the end to compensate for an air shock. I've tried to make a coil shock work on two frames like that the last couple of years and just don't like it.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I'd dig a coil option as long as the leverage rate of the frame doesn't go regressive at the end to compensate for an air shock. I've tried to make a coil shock work on two frames like that the last couple of years and just don't like it.
No need to worry about that non sense on any GG bike

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
is there a WRX exception?

re: SS+ coil: would probably appeal to a very small crowd on a bike with that much travel. i have one friend who runs a coil on his canfield riot...but he might be rendered null and void because wagon wheelz.