Quantcast

Help with some burly hardtail pics...

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Originally posted by Ridge_Rider

Thanks! We did a total redesign for 2003 and are very happy with the new Ridge.

A few of us are planing on going to the Red Bull event, I'll shoot you a PM today and maybe we can hook up for a ride afterwards.
Bike looks nice Bill, can definitely see the influence of the FTW there, sweet. Sorry to not see an e.thirteen guide on that bad boy...

Be sure to stop by the Evil Bikes tent at the Red Bull Bike Battle and say hi.

take it easy

dave

Ridge_Rider

Chimp
Apr 12, 2002
East Coast

Bike looks nice Bill, can definitely see the influence of the FTW there, sweet. Sorry to not see an e.thirteen guide on that bad boy...
Dave, thanks! As for the guide, you know I'm looking for something really small, say 34/32 teeth...

Be sure to stop by the Evil Bikes tent at the Red Bull Bike Battle and say hi.
I'll definitely stop by.

Later
Bill

ClumpRider

Chimp
May 21, 2002
Riding bikes or girls
Originally posted by ant:

What is rediculous about an overbuilt hardtail? People keep saying stuff like this.... Many of us choose to ride without rear suspension for a varitey of reasons, and many of us like to do so frequently and push our equipment hard while doing it... maybe you like to fold rims and crack cranks, but I'd rather ride a slightly heavy (which you get used to in a week or two) overbuilt bike that I can trust on every landing... What do you care?

I do have a problem with anyone that builds their bike a certain way to fit a style (this applies to people across the spectrum from roaidies, downhillers, freeriders, xcrs, bmxrs, circus freaks, etc...) but after riding around for a year a bike that broke almost everytime I went out to have a bit of fun, I find an overbuilt hardtail is the only way I can spend more time riding than I do wrenching... I am a pretty smooth rider, but things happen., and when they do it is nice to have bike that can take it...

and seriously, how can you call a dope letoy overkill and say nothing about the nucleon

This thread is alot of fun to look at, and I dont want to turn it into a debate, but consider why many of us build our bikes the way we do... keep the pictures coming...

I don't care what you ride as long as you love to ride...
I do think the nucleon is, well, not "ovebuilt", but rather excessive. I've debated that not too long ago.
As for the rest, well I'm quite tired and I dont wanna start typing another loooong debate.

Oh and, 100% approve your last line...
Cheers

grimm

Monkey
Jan 12, 2002
Sweden
all these le toys are getting old... they lack a personality... people always build them up the same way and once youve seen 2 or 3 youve seen them all.. :o:

now dont kill me!

MisterMental

Monkey
Jul 26, 2002
UK
is a bit strange
the lack of front brake indicates that its a dirt bike but it has DC forks to that cant be reet and its got a small chainring with a bashguard with gives teh impression that its a trials bike but that cant be right coz its not got a front brake

Danchez

Chimp
Apr 9, 2002
Orange, CA
Originally posted by MisterMental
... of a steel hardtail with 12mm bolt throught on teh back and adjustable wheelbase
basically a steel cortina europa
i really don't think that a steel hardtail of that beefocity would ever need a thru axel.

Danchez

Chimp
Apr 9, 2002
Orange, CA
Originally posted by Lizard0fthetrai
Danchez..maybe not, but just imagine how solid it would be, not just stiffness, but also, the wheelbase would be adjustable, and the possibility of wheel slippage (commonly associated with horizontal dropouts) would be deleted from the situation...someone make one! And then of course...put it up here.
i don't think a thru axel would help wheel slippage. let me think about it though. try bmx style chain tensioners. it would be cool to have conventional tensioners with integrated ones like on dragonfly bmx bikes or on some ftw frames.

Warped

Monkey
Dec 31, 2001
Illinois
Originally posted by MisterMental
... of a steel hardtail with 12mm bolt throught on teh back and adjustable wheelbase
basically a steel cortina europa
It's not steel, but the Tankass has the option of a 20mm rear axle.....

axel

Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
conway, ma
Originally posted by Lizard0fthetrai
Hey now, I jumped with my Trixxxy, and that thang weighed a mere 8 lbs....8! that's pretty heavey...and I wasn't even havcing an issue wit the weight, so it cant be t hat much different.
oh no, the weight isnt the problem, in my mind at least, i just think that any dual crown fork is impractical for jumping, you have very little ability to pump...and its very dificult to boost as high

MisterMental

Monkey
Jul 26, 2002
UK
.. that its personal preferance if you dont want to be abvle to do x-ups then fine but if u do tehn get SC forks
i for one prefere SC forks as you can get just as good SC forks as you can DC forks and for jumoing the max amount a travel you really need is 130mm and there are loadsa good SC forks that give that travel

phlegm

Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
Whistler/Vancouver
Originally posted by Moogie
somebody loves their headtube :D

thats an awsome build dude!
Well with a Letoy I wouldn't worry about the headtube, those little frames take quite a bit of abuse. Unbreakable, no. Strong as an ox, long lasting, yes.

I was talking to a guy who put about an inch deep dent in the side of his downtube on his Letoy 3, they wouldn't warranty it so he's still riding it over 6 months later. Has had no problems.

Edit: The scary part is it doesn't even look raked out.:p

Porkybmx

Chimp
Jun 14, 2002
Rancho Palos Verdes, CA
hey guys, I finally got around to take a picture of my Ruckus. One of my favorite bikes!:love: tell me what you think. thanks. The picture has been shrunk so the file would be smaller so it lost it's sharpness. If anyone could host the original picture, I would be greatful. Thanks.

Attachments

grimm

Monkey
Jan 12, 2002
Sweden
i like the ruckus alot, if i didnt already love my flash so much id definetly check it out... yours looks really nice

grimm

Monkey
Jan 12, 2002
Sweden
its still alu, and yeah it should be more.. ehm.. "trialsy" coz its shorter..

id use the word "unstable" myself ;)

nj_rider

Chimp
Apr 17, 2002
NJ/PA
it is set up as more of a do everything bike this year. I can tell you I do alot of DJing and urban and the thing is great. I also been playing around on it at the DS course and took it out last weekend and also tried some downhill on it. I love the thing. I put 24"rims on it and the handleling (to me) is alot better than the 26's. But all and all I would definatley recomend it.

Here is the first incarnation of my new Stiffee FR. I say first cuz I'm sure I'll be doing a few mods in the near future. I built this up with parts I had from other frames, and that included the wheels (LX 36 spoke hubs/Sun Mammoth rims) and brakes (Magura HS-33). I just know I'll put discs on it in a while, but I can get my rocks off just fine until then with the "old school" parts spec!

Parts List
2002 Cove Stiffee FR 17" Frame
1999 Mr T Fork (5")
LX 36 Spoke Hubs/Sun Mammoth Rims/Kujo DH Rubber
XTR rear/XT front/Gripshift/Flak Jacket Cables
Magura HS-33 Brakes
King Headset
Pazzaz DH Bar/Stem
Truvativ Hussefelt DH Cranks/Isis DH BB
Azonic Magnesium Platform Pedals
Thomson Elite Seatpost
Titec Beserker Ti Saddle
Salsa Seatpost Clamp

Old School, or just plain old???

Love the skull!!!

Black & Silver...

I'll keep y'all up on my "alterations"...

BeeT's