Quantcast

hitch rack for low car

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
ive got a Ford Five Hundred and im getting new '09 Audi A4 soon and i need to find a hitch rack that sits high off the ground.
I have a thule hitching post on my Five Hundred, but it bottoms out all the time because the car sits low when loaded.
Do any of you know a rack that sits pretty high off the ground?

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
unlike you, who falls over when loaded :biggrin:

so wait, they're onto you and you can no longer drive the company cars to platty? I wonder why :rolleyes:
hey the weight i gained gains momentum when going...
they still dont know about my trips
the cars im asking about are company cars...hence why i need a hitch rack.
i have a roof rack system already, but prefer a hitch rack instead...especially since a bike fell off my roof once, and two DH bikes on the roof isnt the best

The DH

Monkey
Jun 17, 2008
richest state in the nation
I too plan on getting a hitch rack for an upcoming A4 purchase (B7 Avant) I've searched everywhere for hitch mount experience on the A4 but no go and at the very least I'll have S-line springs on it. :-x

I know Yakima has a pretty tall one, look into that.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
06 GLI set up, which should be very similar to the A4. It is a Swagman rack from Nashbar

It rubs if I pull out of my drive way, which has a pretty good angle to it if I have 2 bikes on it, and I do not take my time. Other than that, and the occasionaly rub from a dip or something and it is pretty solid.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
If you are going with a tray style rack the Yakima Holdup probably has the most clearance - it bends up at a 90 degree angle from the receiver and its very compact.

Edit: Holdup is rated for up to 60 lbs/bike.

The heavy-duty construction of the HoldUp supports two bikes weighing up to 60 pounds each, plus two more bikes can be carried with optional HoldUp 2 Bike Add On - sold separately, for 2 inch hitches only. The HoldUp supports the bike in wheel cradles and it's stabilized with a front wheel ratcheting pivot arm with a hook. The wheel cradles fit just about any bicycle tire size, narrow 19mm road bike tires all the way up to 3 inch wide MTB tires and wheel sizes from BMX 20 inch up to 29er's 29 inch.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
06 GLI set up, which should be very similar to the A4. It is a Swagman rack from Nashbar

It rubs if I pull out of my drive way, which has a pretty good angle to it if I have 2 bikes on it, and I do not take my time. Other than that, and the occasionaly rub from a dip or something and it is pretty solid.
yeah but can it handle two DH bikes without sagging too much?

If you are going with a tray style rack the Yakima Holdup probably has the most clearance - it bends up at a 90 degree angle from the receiver and its very compact.

ill check that one out too.
thanks

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
thats what i was looking for i think...does it go from 2" to 2"?

i was thinking of something like this or something similar with 2 90* bends in it, but i cant find that....whered you get that pic from? aluminumcarrier.com?
I got that from Aluminum Carrier, I figured you would have a 1-1/4" inch hitch on a sedan like that. Amazon has something that would work if you are going 2" to 2".

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
assumption is the mother of all f-ups....and .i do a lot of assumpting
whered you get that image from? i cant find it on their site

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
The Amazon one has a link in the post, the Aluminum Carrier one showed up in Google Images, now I can't find it on their site. Just google "hitch riser"

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
yeah i couldnt find it on their site too...i found a bunch on amazon thatll work...now i just gotta wait for hitches for a '09 A4 to come out

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Steve, just a thought, if you're looking for a 2" to 2" riser hitch mount, it might be worth looking into have a metal shop fab one for you. wouldn't be much work, you'd just have to tell them what the load would be and how much of a rise you'd want.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
no, i have 2" hitches...1 1/4" hitch racks are flimsy w/ two big bikes on it.
thanks

i have a sportworks (now Thule) rack w/ an optional 'riser' to get around the clearance issue. i'll post a photo to show what i am talking about. i've loaded two DH bikes on it plenty of times. it's a 2" receiver.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Dude, I have the Yakima Stickup on my Forester, inch and 1/4. Good ground clearance, tho the Forester is a bit higher than your car (but I'm never as high as you or Bunkers, except for that obscene phone call I gave ya last year!).

FYI - 2 dh bikes on the inch and 1/4 isn't bad or too flimsy - drove down to VA and back with no probs.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i have a sportworks (now Thule) rack w/ an optional 'riser' to get around the clearance issue. i'll post a photo to show what i am talking about. i've loaded two DH bikes on it plenty of times. it's a 2" receiver.
yeah that would be great thanks

Dude, I have the Yakima Stickup on my Forester, inch and 1/4. Good ground clearance, tho the Forester is a bit higher than your car (but I'm never as high as you or Bunkers, except for that obscene phone call I gave ya last year!).

FYI - 2 dh bikes on the inch and 1/4 isn't bad or too flimsy - drove down to VA and back with no probs.
yeah but a 2" receiver is about the same price as a 1 1/4" so its kinda a no brainer to me. plus my current car has a 2" already on it.....and no, youll never been as high as me..haha

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
....when we have a country of whiners, consumer electronic products are the last thing people are apparently buying.
do your part people....spend money, i know i do!