Quantcast

Holy cow! César Rojo launches UNNO Bikes

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
Unicorns.

That's the point. It's hard to get a 6" travel bike that will have the acceleration out of corners and backsides that a 4" or 5" bike can. And if the design/setup exists, then that same design and setup would still do better in a 120-130mm application.
exactly. i've been riding long enough and on enough bikes from fully rigid to hardtail to 3, 4, 5, 6 ,7, 8" of travel and figured out long ago i'm at least as fast and have the most fun on a 4-5" bike than anything else for where i ride 90% of the time.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Oh, Jesus.

I agree, 5" of travel is not six, no matter what the kinematics say. That's the reason I sold the enduro for the evil, 155 was too much, 120 is better for my dentistry

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Jesus what happened to people here? I remember 3-4 years ago everyone trying smaller bikes than going back to DH rigs because they forgived more when you decided to go full retard now everyone decided to go full bearded enduro explorer and pretend the only place to ride is some damp mossy hellhole with way too many tight turns and way too little hucks and east coast rokz.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Jesus what happened to people here? I remember 3-4 years ago everyone trying smaller bikes than going back to DH rigs because they forgived more when you decided to go full retard now everyone decided to go full bearded enduro explorer and pretend the only place to ride is some damp mossy hellhole with way too many tight turns and way too little hucks and east coast rokz.
The question is what were you able to do back then with a trail/enderpo bike. I'm constantly going down in the nearby DH tracks with a much more capable 160mm bike. And I can pedal it to the top. I know I'm not even entitled to tie the shoelaces of anyone in the forum in terms of technique or ballz (although I might be able to outrun anyone in terms of going full retard), but the latest crop of abusable 5-6 inch bikes allow you to enjoy a lot of other features than gnarly rockgardens and 6ft-to-flat drops.

Don't get me wrong, there's a HUGE place for DH bikes, in their own terrain and league I think they are plainly untouchable. They are simply the best tool for the job. But for a lot of guys out there, there's more than DH and a capable trail rig guarantees more time pedaling and less time shuttling.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
The question is what were you able to do back then with a trail/enderpo bike. I'm constantly going down in the nearby DH tracks with a much more capable 160mm bike. And I can pedal it to the top. I know I'm not even entitled to tie the shoelaces of anyone in the forum in terms of technique or ballz (although I might be able to outrun anyone in terms of going full retard), but the latest crop of abusable 5-6 inch bikes allow you to enjoy a lot of other features than gnarly rockgardens and 6ft-to-flat drops.

Don't get me wrong, there's a HUGE place for DH bikes, in their own terrain and league I think they are plainly untouchable. They are simply the best tool for the job. But for a lot of guys out there, there's more than DH and a capable trail rig guarantees more time pedaling and less time shuttling.
I'm just mocking people for what was the forum consensus. I like new endurpoo bikes. They are rad. Though I still prefer bigger bikes because you can try some stuff that can result in serious mistakes and not break (like doing a tricky jump, landing with your bb and not have to buy a new frame afterwards)

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I'm just mocking people for what was the forum consensus. I like new endurpoo bikes. They are rad. Though I still prefer bigger bikes because you can try some stuff that can result in serious mistakes and not break (like doing a tricky jump, landing with your bb and not have to buy a new frame afterwards)
Ah, sorry. No sarcasm detection down here unless I'm past my third cup of coffee. I concur on your opinion of the life saving capabilities of a good DH bike tough.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Then I'll mock you for misunderstanding what was said.

I'll summarize
Don't ride smaller bikes slower on the same terrain......ride bigger bikes on gnarlier terrain. When you have to ride something flatter, a smaller travel bike will be faster because you can pump that bitch harder. One does not displace the other.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007

I'll summarize
Don't ride smaller bikes slower on the same terrain......ride bigger bikes on gnarlier terrain. When you have to ride something flatter, a smaller travel bike will be faster because you can pump that bitch harder. One does not displace the other.
It wasn't directed at you and I agree. I like a smaller bike that gives me a sense of speed on slower, flatter trails. Even some enduro bikes got to big to have fun on some trails. It's just the forum was so much more about arguing who has the bigger rocks and now everyone is about their trailbikes. I find it ironic even if the same happened to me.

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
It wasn't directed at you and I agree. I like a smaller bike that gives me a sense of speed on slower, flatter trails. Even some enduro bikes got to big to have fun on some trails. It's just the forum was so much more about arguing who has the bigger rocks and now everyone is about their trailbikes. I find it ironic even if the same happened to me.
East Coast=Mor Rox
image.jpeg

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle

I'll summarize
Exactly.

I do like riding my hardtail on stupid trails as a change of pace, but if I had to shed a bike off the stable, that would be it. 6" AM bike and a DH bike totally take priority.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Stoked! What tire pressure do you run on Mars?
I can't speak for @jackalope and don't know anything about pressure, but personally I just run the thinnest lightest casing possible and then act all surprised when I get heaps of flats.

a capable trail rig guarantees more time pedaling and less time shuttling.
Not just one, but two of the best things about riding dh!
Where can @kidwoo and I sign up for this?

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
just you bankers wait 'til you get a teeny bit o air and that horrendous seat post/downtube junction catches the wind and sails your ass sideways into the next county and snaps the twiglike upper section of the downtube into a million crabon shardz. BUT WAIT . . . WHERE IS THE LINKAGE ANALYSIS NUMBARZZZZ??

(#donotwant / #disappoint / #lenope)

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
just you bankers wait 'til you get a teeny bit o air and that horrendous seat post/downtube junction catches the wind and sails your ass sideways into the next county and sanps the twiglike upper section of the downtube into a million crabon shardz. BUT WAIT . . . WHERE IS THE LINKAGE ANALYSIS NUMBARZZZZ??

(#donotwant / #disappoint / #lenope)
I hope 5-10 makes boat shooz.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The Unno

Probably 2 inches of reach, Pivot makes bikes for tiny people.
Well, T-Rex proportioned people. Their reach numbers are stupid small but their seat and head tubes aren't.

Though the Phoenix and new Firebird are actually way better in that department.