Quantcast

I'm done with CB Eggbeaters

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Have you tried something like candies? I prfer thre CB mechanism, but the candies has a small platform surrounding it that will help keep this from happening. I have never had a mallet release due to the platform I would imagine, but have had a beater release.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Pixel, I went from eggbeaters to Time Atac XS's and couldnt be more pleased at all.

My feet used to explode off the pedals whenever Id hit anything with crank bros, with my times, I crash still connected to the bike...that could be bad I guess..but it works.

Edit: I had the mallet C's and the platform did nothing for stopping the problem.

J

JRB

pixelninja said:
Elaborate on why you don't like the XS's.
They seemed too far from the crank arms or something. The float seemed too much and the springs seemed a little loose. Not bad, but not as good as the old gen Atacs.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I love my Time ATACs. The float can be adjusted between 4 and 8 degrees by reversing the cleat. I always run at 8 degrees. I have a pair of ATAC carbons that's 7 years old and has been on more bikes than I can remember.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
My first experience with clipless was Shimanos. I tried Eggbeaters for a couple of months and liked them at first, but I went back to the Shimanos pretty quickly. I got tired of the tiny platform of the Eggies, and I had similar issues coming unclipped every time my pedal hit a rock (the cleats were brand new).

I didn't have any issues with my 959 pedals mudding up. The old 515's I used sucked in the mud, but 959's are much better. I don't imagine I'll ever use a different pedal again.

J

JRB

I think it's simple. Posers run Eggs and real mountain bikers run Times.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
loco said:
I think it's simple. Posers run Eggs and real mountain bikers run Times.
And lord knows I don't want to be a poser! As soon as I get a bit more money in my "fun fund", I think I may pick up a set of ATAC XE's.

J

JRB

N8 said:
Are your cleats worn???

Mine occationally pop out when they have a lot of wear on them.
I just found the BEST reason to ditch eggs. :think:

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
I've been running Time's for about the past 6 years and have always been happy with them. They've held up really well, in fact I honestly can't comment on the newer designs because my older ones (3 years old) are still going strong (previous versions were sold on various bikes). Before the their platform z-pedals came out I was running them for downhill as well and never had a problem with unclipping when I didn't want to.

I have some knee problems and Time's have a decent amount of float and I've never had problems due to that.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
MancilG said:
I'm surprised your having problems, I'm riding CB on all my bikes including the road bike. I would try changing out your cleats first. just my thoughts

:stupid:

eggs on the roadie, candies in the mtn :thumb:

I have only had the rock hit pedal problem twice in 3 years

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
MtnBikerChk said:
nobody mentioned Speedplays?

They have the most float of ANY pedal and they are not spring loaded so there is no tension on the knees!
My brother has Speedplays and you're right...no tension. I was thinking about them as I drove to work this morning. I tried them a few times years ago and just couldn't get used to them, although I've heard that they take some getting used to before you really appreciate them. Do you use them?

pixelninja said:
My brother has Speedplays and you're right...no tension. I was thinking about them as I drove to work this morning. I tried them a few times years ago and just couldn't get used to them, although I've heard that they take some getting used to before you really appreciate them. Do you use them?
Use em and LOVE em. Not to mention, they are a great company (long story short I bought a 2nd set on Ebay and sent them to Speedplay for repair and they replaced both spindles and the guts at NO CHARGE).

Yeah, they take some getting used to - just like anything else. I also have the X2s on my road bike. They are even EASIER to get in and out of than the Frogs on my MTB.

I use spds when I spin (because that's what's on the bike) and I hate them.

Remember on other pedals, the tension may be adjustable but the float isn't.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
my candies have the same problem as described. I just started noticing this because I got a new bike with a significantly lower BB. I still love the pedals so I've just been working harder on not hitting rocks when I pedal. If it continues to be a problem I will probably give the Times a try.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Well I have experience with ATAC and SPD so I can only tell you what I know about those but I cant really tell you how they compare to CB's.

Anyway, I didnt like shimano because if your cleat is dirty you cant get in... they are a little tougher to get into/out of but not too bad. Times, for me, are the best. I get in/out when I want, no matter how nasty my shoe is. They will release unexpectedly every once in a while when the cleat gets old and worn but its the old cleat that is the problem not the pedal. If you hit a rock really hard it will probably knock your foot free, but step back down and you are back in easy... I always thought the CB's looked really small and difficult to hit. I never have that problem with the ATAC's.

J

JRB

pixelninja said:
Hmmmmm...let's see, $100 for new pedals or $2500 for a new bike...hmmmm...Maybe I'll run that past the wife and see what she says...
$60 - keep up.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
SkaredShtles said:
I'll venture a guess as to what she'll say............ :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
She'll say, "Sweetie, your bike is a year and a half old. You *deserve* a new one. Let's clean out savings and start looking for a new one this weekend. Maybe have something custom built..."

And then I'll wake up...

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
MtnBikerChk said:
nobody mentioned Speedplays?

They have the most float of ANY pedal and they are not spring loaded so there is no tension on the knees!
When I first started mtn biking I had Speedplay Frogs. Really liked 'em actually. Definitely good float as you mention. I used them until I moved out here to Seattle and found that they didn't work in the mud as well so made the switch.

mxer338

Monkey
May 9, 2005
CT
ive had my mallets for just about 2 months now and every single time i go riding i get unclipped because of hitting them on a rock, even with new cleats in the highest release angle position, im thinking of switching back to shimano

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I don't know, its never happened me with Mallets. Maybe you guys should upgrade your skills instead of your bikes or pedals :clue:

Technical rocky terrain is normal fare for the NE.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
mxer338 said:
ive had my mallets for just about 2 months now and every single time i go riding i get unclipped because of hitting them on a rock, even with new cleats in the highest release angle position, im thinking of switching back to shimano
I ride bromont 2-3 times a week all summer, which is about as rocky as it gets. I do it with mallets and have never once clipped out accidentally, racing or just riding.

Stop hitting rocks so much and you won't have a problem?

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
syadasti said:
I don't know, its never happened me with Mallets. Maybe you guys should upgrade your skills instead of your bikes or pedals :clue:

That's rocky? :confused: Around here, the rocks aren't NEXT to the trail, they ARE the trail :p

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Keep your tutu on, that looks pretty easy to me. Eggbeater users having no problems with 15 miles of rocky trails:

20 mile Epic in North Jersey on Mallets:

Most of the folks out West have trouble with the rock gardens at the US Open in Vernon, NJ at Diablo...

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
pfft...you've shown me one picture of some girl riding NEXT to a few rocks, and some guy riding on FLAT rocks. :yawn:

:p

Edit: HEY! Stop adding pictures of real rocky trails! I was having fun at your expense.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
pixelninja said:
That's rocky? :confused: Around here, the rocks aren't NEXT to the trail, they ARE the trail :p

Holy Crap.....please please please tell me the name of that trail, or provide a link to more info. I need to ride it:)

thegoodword

Chimp
Oct 29, 2003
Walla Walla, WA>Boise, ID
Time ATAC have only one bad feature: the cleats wear out quickly.
ATAC's rule in mud, snow, sand and anything else you step in. Try some Speedplay x/1 pedals for the road bike and Time ATAC for the mtb. You will not be disappointed. No rock whack jobs with these pedals!:cool:

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
syadasti said:

When did you turn asian? You were a skinny white kid last time I saw you...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Tame Ape said:
When did you turn asian? You were a skinny white kid last time I saw you...
Thats Craig's joke on Pete at Sourlands. Don't tell him I posted it ;)