Quantcast

Imus

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
havent posted here in a while...
silver/v'bounce aside from your insistence that us poor white people are so oppressed and stand atop a pile of colored misfortune, can you set that aside and discuss the double standard?

why IS it ok for a brotha to say bitches aint nothin' but tricks and hos?

When has a brother working as the host of a show ran by one of the worlds largest corporations gotten away with saying such crap? I happen to work for the same corporation that runs MSNBC and we like every other major site has a big screen TV with MSNBC playing in our lobby. It is not with in the corporate image to have some guy, no matter their race, calling folks bitches and ho's.

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
i'm referring to the 'music of their culture'...i.e. rap...

if one of mr sharptons objectives is to 'clean up the airwaves'

where is the moral indignation?

i think chris rock said it best, they sic black women dont care what the lyrics say as long as they can shake their booty to it,
to whit he said, slap her with my dick, slap her with my dick, in one of his routines.

id be willing to bet every bike i own those women that said they were so insulted by Imus' comment, that their ipods are loaded with rap.

do NOT take this as a defense of imus, i'm just trying to understand the double standard and why its ok

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
It is not okay with the majority of people I know (Black, white, Hispanic, Asian) for anyone to talk that way,regardless the speaker's race.

There are several things I find deeply troublesome with the argument of this "double standard". It is an overwhelming minority of black people I know who listen to the more hateful violent crap rap, yet a majority of white males I know do.

Why is it so important for the cracker boys to have the "right" to say nigger and talk like a culture of black people they loathe? Most of these crackerboys talk as if they are of superior intellect yet continue to use the juvenile excuse that if someone else does something wrong it's okay for them to do it to.

Why don't these crackerheads take the high road if they think they are superior to the small segment of the black culture they attact with hate and fury while regarding them as if it's the entire race of people who talk like that?

If it means that much to the cracker boys such that they're angry whenever someone brings up the topic of censoring racist speech, why not do some research into the differences (and similarities) in our cultures and why it's damaging to all of our society even if you live in Lilly White, USA. Instead they continue to get irate they aren't given the "right" to speak and act like the people they hate.

Why not seek out the word of prominant black people who are a better representation of the culture? Because you don't know them. Why don't you know them? Because ExecuCraker makes that decision for you.

Seems like crackerchodes are compelled toward the negative side of black culture as if they'd lose their testicles were they to seek the word of more prominant black people alive today. Crackers often say they don't care enough about it yet they have spent a lot of time arguing their point.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
after mulling on this while taking a dump, i'm thinking there's a possibility this could all be a rope-a-dope. i don't believe it's most effective to take on the rap culture until there exists a uniformly appropriate level of outrage. for all of al & jesse's collective shortcomings, i believe even they know this.

once everyone gets on board there's a line that none shall pass (black knight reference; +2), only then can there be long lasting cultural reform.

just as long as the sneaky jews will stand down & try not to make a buck off all this, that is.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
id be willing to bet every bike i own those women that said they were so insulted by Imus' comment, that their ipods are loaded with rap.
What are your bikes? I will very happily take this bet then sell my winnings and give it to the National Urban League as well as send you a few books by Cornell West.

Seems like you, along with so many others with your same point of view see all black people based on what the media feeds you. That is not the way the majority of black people live. You are a sucker to fall for it and a fool to not educate yourself.

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
It is not okay with the majority of people I know (Black, white, Hispanic, Asian) for anyone to talk that way,regardless the speaker's race.

There are several things I find deeply troublesome with the argument of this "double standard". It is an overwhelming minority of black people I know who listen to the more hateful violent crap rap, yet a majority of white males I know do.

Why is it so important for the cracker boys to have the "right" to say nigger and talk like a culture of black people they loathe? Most of these crackerboys talk as if they are of superior intellect yet continue to use the juvenile excuse that if someone else does something wrong it's okay for them to do it to.

Why don't these crackerheads take the high road if they think they are superior to the small segment of the black culture they attack with hate and fury while regarding them as if it's the entire race of people who talk like that?

If it means that much to the cracker boys such that they're angry whenever someone brings up the topic of censoring racist speech, why not do some research into the differences (and similarities) in our cultures and why it's damaging to all of our society even if you live in Lilly White, USA. Instead they continue to get irate they aren't given the "right" to speak and act like the people they hate.

Why not seek out the word of prominant black people who are a better representation of the culture? Because you don't know them. Why don't you know them? Because ExecuCraker makes that decision for you.

Seems like crackerchodes are compelled toward the negative side of black culture as if they'd lose their testicles were they to seek the word of more prominant black people alive today. Crackers often say they don't care enough about it yet they have spent a lot of time arguing their point.
is this response to the question in general or are you ad hominem attacking me?

if so, shouldn't your high road be free of hate and anger itself?

and you shouldn't be so quick to judge, i do have black, intelligent, well spoken and accomplished friends with whom i've already discussed this, i'm merely seeking the monkey consensus

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
and you shouldn't be so quick to judge, i do have black, intelligent, well spoken and accomplished friends with whom i've already discussed this, i'm merely seeking the monkey consensus
Ah, the "I have black friends, so I can't be racist!" excuse. Imus tried that one too...

The simple fact of the matter (and I'm keeping it very simple here, there are definitely more academic explanations for this) that even kids in grade school understand is that something that may be offensive to a group of people is always more offensive when the insult is hurled from a person outside of the group.

When two kids in computer engineering call each other nerds or geeks, it's often a term of endearment. When the jock on the football team says the same thing to those kids, it's intrepreted differently. You have to be either stunningly ignorant or a racist seeking to justify racist behavior to come to any other conclusion in this case.

There's also another way of looking at this: Ignoring the above, the argument that since black people (specifically rap artists, in this case) use the term nigger, that makes it fine to throw around racist comments doesn't make sense anyways. The premise of that argument is that rap music is corrosive and wrong to use the term in the first place, and if that is the case, then there is no excuse for anyone to use racist language. It's a little like the argument that Abu Ghraib wasn't that bad, because it wasn't as bad as what Saddam used to do!

When you're trying to claim the moral high ground, the fact that you may be just slightly better than someone who is bad doesn't make you virtuous.

One more thing: I think the Rutgers basketball team comes out of this looking poorly, and made that clear upthread. Having said that, the kind of music they listen to has zero bearing on what Imus said. In the first case, it's conjecture, and secondly, even assuming they do listen to gansta rap (and out of 12 women, the chances are good that one of them does) I'm not aware of any rap songs that personally insult the Rutgers women's basketball team. Once again, you have to be either stunningly ignorant or a racist to not understand this.

In any case, I sincerely hope you read this and are enlightened.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
would i be racist if i had nappy roots on my iPod? more importantly, would i be racist now?

point is precedence. if there had been genuine & consistent - not manufactured as climate supports - outrage, imus & co wouldn't have felt as comfortable making those remarks. moreover, the sponsors were also confused as to the racial climate. why else would they have waited more than a new york minute to can him?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
One more thing: I think the Rutgers basketball team comes out of this looking poorly, and made that clear upthread. Having said that, the kind of music they listen to has zero bearing on what Imus said. In the first case, it's conjecture, and secondly, even assuming they do listen to gansta rap (and out of 12 women, the chances are good that one of them does) I'm not aware of any rap songs that personally insult the Rutgers women's basketball team. Once again, you have to be either stunningly ignorant or a racist to not understand this.
How the f*ck do the Rutgers bball team look bad? Did they say anything before Imus opened his mouth? Did they do anything? These girls are not Pacman Jones now...

Imus made racially based comments on how they looked, and he was fired. End of Story.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
How the f*ck do the Rutgers bball team look bad? Did they say anything before Imus opened his mouth? Did they do anything? These girls are not Pacman Jones now...
Of course not. The whining about how this has ruined their lives was over the top and pathetic, however.

Here's the Rutgers coach:

"Before you are valedictorians of their class, musical prodigies, future doctors and yes, even Girl Scouts," Rutgers coach C. Vivian Stringer told a news conference Tuesday morning.

She called her team members "young ladies of class, distinction. They are brilliant, they are articulate, they are God's representatives in every sense of the word."

Of course, every good Christian knows that we are created in God's image, and God sure as hell ain't black, but that's another discussion.

Now, having said that, which is an accurate description of the team members, this statement from one of the players is totally over the top:

"It kind of scars us. We grew up in a world where racism exists, and there's nothing we can do to change that," said Matee Ajavon, another member of the team. "I think that this has scarred me for life."

C'mon. Stepping on an IED scars people for life. An old white racist making a racist comment? None of these girls are going to be homeless alcoholics in a couple of years because of what Imus said.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
At what point is it too far? I just read about Al Sharpton's radio interview with Imus, and Imus used the phrase, "you people".

I think with most people, it is us vs them, us being the good people and them being the racist scumbags. When you use the phrase, "you people", it is hard to put yourself in with the good people.
Maybe its just me (me being a white-bread chicken ****) being that I have never listened to Imus purposely, but from watching the snippet on the news where he said "you people", I took it to mean people like Al "grease-ball" Sharpton. Not black people but vultures like Sharpton, Jesse Jackson and all the other that feel the need to make this out to be some national issue.
It was one old man. Get over it.

He did the right thing in apolagizing to the players but what was he thinking going on Sharptons show? It only gives "people like him" (charletan(sp) ambulance-chasers) credibility. I did find it funny when Sharpton tried to get all high and mighty on him and he didn't back down and even put him in his place a little. He still looked like an idiot though?

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland

Imus made racially based comments on how they looked, and he was fired. End of Story.
Do you think all black women look like unkempt hookers? These girls do not look like whores nor are any of them wearing their hair nappy. His comment wasn't about how they look. End of story.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
His comment wasn't about how they look. End of story.
the nat'l assoc of black journalists doesn't see it that way:
The National Association of Black Journalists demanded his immediate firing after the man known as "Imus in the Morning" put his foot deep in his mouth Wednesday. Imus questioned the players' looks, describing them as tattooed "rough girls." His producer compared the team which has eight black members to the NBA's Toronto Raptors.

abcnews