Quantcast

Just came in...2009 E13 LG1+

slobeone

Chimp
Dec 1, 2004
Just a bit of info. Sam slapped his guide/chainring/chain square on a rock on the bottom third of the track during qualies. The ring and chain didn't stand a chance and what isn't visible in the pic is that the ring is bent/crack and poking into the guide. It was a lucky hit by a sneaky rock and not the fault of the guide;)
Later

Gridds

Monkey
Dec 18, 2008
Great Britain
Just a bit of info. Sam slapped his guide/chainring/chain square on a rock on the bottom third of the track during qualies. The ring and chain didn't stand a chance and what isn't visible in the pic is that the ring is bent/crack and poking into the guide. It was a lucky hit by a sneaky rock and not the fault of the guide;)
Later
But is it not the job/purpose of the taco to protect against such hits?

Just asking, not stirring.

Scrub

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2003
NOR CAL, Sac/CoCo County

Looks like the chainring is bent from a side impact not a direct hit on the bottom where the bash guard is. Now if he was using the other guide with the bash ring he probably wouldn't have had this damage.

Doesn't matter now though, Peaty kicked ass.

just saying

slobeone

Chimp
Dec 1, 2004

Yeah it is but sometimes the right impact can cause damage big time. As for using the SRS guide and not having this impact damage the drivetrain, Brendan hit the same spot in qualies and destroyed driveside crank/chainring/bashring but was able to pedal through the rest of the run where Sam was not.
Both of the new guides are sweet and can take tons of abuse without breaking....its impressive to see the new guides take even more abuse than the old ones. Well done E13.

lachy_mtb

Monkey
May 25, 2008
clearly parts are going to break with a big enough impact, shown with the boxxers and session that snapped on the weekend, it happens...
I soo wish i had gotten an lg over my gamut, took ages to mount and is just annoying

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
Just got mine and need to go out and get it dirty. To add in super easy setup.
Thanks Minion, we're all super pumped on how easy everything is to install. Seeing as we're gearing up for the US Open next week, and all of us wrench on rigs most of the weekend, we're VERY happy that the LG1+ is easier to work on :clapping: :pirate2:

I would also recommend putting the backplate into the Narrow position when you get a chance. There also should be a silver steel M5x25mm bolt in the box should you need it for your lower roller and/or you tend to charge rockgardens laughing maniacally.

Cheers,
philip @ e*thirteen

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Just saw QBP has them in stock. :poster_oops:
Ordered one right away! :biggrin:

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Didn't realise whites came before blacks (bad e13, bad! ;)) - wondered why everyone was putting white ones on when black will stay looking nice much longer. Got my black one at the weekend, seems to work. No photos cos I'm lazy :) One comment though - the upper-guide "guide" (chainring sizes to show where to put it) is very cunning, but also useless. (Luckily it's also fairly pointless.) To get your crank/chainring on you need to slide the guide to the top of it's adjustment, and then you can't see the numbers when you slide it back down. Something on the back of the guide (like for the pulley) would have made more sense, no?

Sean_T

Chimp
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver
I finally gave up waiting for a black one and ordered a white one yesterday. Luckly it hadnt shipped yet and I could change it today. I wonder when I started to care about that stuff.

HighMinion

Chimp
Dec 4, 2007
Thanks Minion. I would also recommend putting the backplate into the Narrow position when you get a chance. There also should be a silver steel M5x25mm bolt in the box should you need it for your lower roller and/or you tend to charge rockgardens laughing maniacally.

Cheers,
philip @ e*thirteen
Cheers for the tip. Will do, though it really doesn't seem that bad. Maybe just camera angle but I'll try it.

Edit: Alright davep and Phil......you win this round ;)

Last edited:

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Didn't realise whites came before blacks (bad e13, bad! ;)) - wondered why everyone was putting white ones on when black will stay looking nice much longer. Got my black one at the weekend, seems to work. No photos cos I'm lazy :) One comment though - the upper-guide "guide" (chainring sizes to show where to put it) is very cunning, but also useless. (Luckily it's also fairly pointless.) To get your crank/chainring on you need to slide the guide to the top of it's adjustment, and then you can't see the numbers when you slide it back down. Something on the back of the guide (like for the pulley) would have made more sense, no?
If we put that adjustment on the back then it would be obscured by the frame on most bikes. We tried a few different designs, actually prototyped 2 different versions also, and this one came out the winner. With an e.thirteen guide ring for a chainring, you can see the numbers, but I imagine that there are probably some other rings that you can't. There are also detents, so you can always count the detents, from the top, or just put it in the position where it looks right. It's pretty tough to screw it up. :)

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
The guide works fine on the new Disco, It's not exactly at 11 o-clock, more like 10:30pm. I took some pics this morning before the ride and when I got home my wife took the camera for the evening. I'll get some pics in the next day or so.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
The guide works fine on the new Disco, It's not exactly at 11 o-clock, more like 10:30pm. I took some pics this morning before the ride and when I got home my wife took the camera for the evening. I'll get some pics in the next day or so.
Hey, good to hear!

Can you send me some pictures, including a couple with the suspension completely compressed so I can see where the chain is in relation to the top slider?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Hey, good to hear!

Can you send me some pictures, including a couple with the suspension completely compressed so I can see where the chain is in relation to the top slider?
Dave,

Can you PM me your email address, I can't seem to find it in my address book. I may have deleted it by accident.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Here is one pic.

And that's without any modification to the guide, right? It *COULD* be rotated a little further clockwise, but I've seen worse setups work before for sure. Keep up in the loop on how it works..

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
And that's without any modification to the guide, right? It *COULD* be rotated a little further clockwise, but I've seen worse setups work before for sure. Keep up in the loop on how it works..
Yep, without any mods. I rode it for the first time on Sat and it seemed to have no issues.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
any updates from those that have been running these for a while? I'm toying with the idea, but to be honest, I'm a little dubious because of all the problems Hill seemed to be having with his. He did his final run in Andorra on the SRS+, and had the SRS+ at the Open.

Granted, I'm no Sam Hill but I'm known to be fairly hard on equipment. I like the LG1+ because of the simplicity factor, and that it seems easier to clean the chainring than the SRS+. But I'm not a racer, and I want something that is durable. Any thoughts from actual users?

also, will these mount to Truvativ Hussefelts?

Thanks,

Sly

oMer

Chimp
Jun 26, 2009
Hi,
I have a MRP G2 Chain guide.
The Upper and the Lower Guide are broken.
Can I pot on my MRP Chain guide the new Upper and Lower Guide of the e13 lg-1+ instead of the original MRP's?
Thanks,
Omer

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I can't speak for the e13 gang, but based on what I've seen from my LG1+ guide, the lower pulley is integrated and the upper one is keyed. i don't think you could set either up properly using the MRP backing plate. There are deals out there on the LG1+, if you can find one in stock, but your best bet sounds like to buy replacement components from MRP. Maybe somebody from E13 has more knowledge.

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
Hi,
I have a MRP G2 Chain guide.
The Upper and the Lower Guide are broken.
Can I pot on my MRP Chain guide the new Upper and Lower Guide of the e13 lg-1+ instead of the original MRP's?
Thanks,
Omer
Hi Omer,
The LG1+ is entirely designed to work ONLY with LG1+ parts. Everything is made to MUCH more precise tolerances than anything else we've done previously to fit JUST right.

DW has put hundreds of hours of design work into the guide to minimize weight and maximize strength.

You would be best contacting the boys (girls?) over in Colorado for replacement parts. :thumb:

Cheers,
philip @ e*thirteen

P.S. You can lose another 80g or so with a comparable LG1+...and you deal with me if you have any issues (fit, etc). :weee:
Check out the Sicklines writeup, it shows many of the tiny details in the new guide: http://www.sicklines.com/2009/04/30/preview-ethirteen-lg1-2009-2010-e13/

oMer

Chimp
Jun 26, 2009
Hi Philip,
First, thanks for the invested answer. =)
Second, you think that the pars of the old Lg1 are match to my MRP?
I ask all this questions about e13 parts cause:
1) I didn’t found any MRP Parts.
2) The E13 parts are much nicer.

And in regard to the deal you say to me, send to me more details and I will see.
Thanks a lot,
Omer