Quantcast

Kicking Ass in Libya!

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Not that it's a totally invalid point, but should the existence/toleration of one bad regime mean we are forbidden to act against another? Or is it incumbent on us to launch a synchronized worldwide war of consistent moral crusading if we're going to do anything??
I just think its funny how this country picks and chooses. Remember when after all the other "reasons" for invading Iraq turned out to be false? The justification turned into, "Oh, well Saddams a really bad guy", which is true of course, but how do you justify not invading TONS of other countries when just being an asshole is apparently reason enough to start a decade (and counting) long war?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
how do you justify not invading TONS of other countries when just being an asshole is apparently reason enough to start a decade (and counting) long war?
Because you should only **** one thing up massively at a time?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
my buddy forgot too while in country until he saw 4'x8" sheets of plywood flying through the air like pieces of paper, thanks to the Osprey
In 1998, they told all the pilots going through Officer Basic Course that anyone selected for medium-lift helos would be flying the V-22 instead of the 46 by the time they reached the fleet.

I finally saw one in flight like 3 years ago over DC. Go figure. And I worked with a former v-22 crew chief in Africa.

The AAAV is still a figment of the imagination, though, and we were supposed to be rocking that one by 2001 or so...

MD

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/23/world/africa/23libya.html?hp

According to the United States military, an F-15E Strike Eagle warplane went down late Monday “when the aircraft experienced equipment malfunction.” The aircraft, normally based in England, was flying out of Aviano Air Base in northeastern Italy when it crashed. “Both crew members ejected and are safe,” an American statement said.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I am not against us tossing a few tomahawks from range so that the rebels can fight a good fight. I don't think Obama is dumb enough to try and put any boots on the ground.

There will be an ugly rebuilding process post Iraq/Afghanistan for the ground forces.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
O'rielly factor had a guy (who i forget the name of) that said ground forces are already there
The guy in front of me in line to get lunch today claimed his aunt had sexual relations with bigfoot. I'd say he was just as reliable a source of information.

Actually it would be irresponsible if Forward Air Observers weren't on the ground.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
What? NO comments on Obama's big defenders of morality and right speech to justify the Libyan campaign? Where are all the Bush I and II thumpers that used to love to beat em up over directing warfare in the name of democracy spreading when it's really about oil?? Oh, did you guys think Gates was talking about camelhair coats when he spoke of our "interest" in the area?

Or is it because we're spending millions but since we didn't lead the charge, it's OK? Double standards? Afraid to bash the Hope and Change? Wasn't Candidate Obama going to end these wars within 9 months of taking office?
Seriously, just wondering where the make GWB a war criminal protesters are? Where the fvck is Cindy Sheehan now??

But hey, the over the hill, soon to be replaced P-3 Orion shot 2 maverick missiles today to disable a Libyan coast guard boat that was shooting at merchant vessels, so it's a good day to be doing war fighting...oops, I mean kinetic military action.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
What? NO comments on Obama's big defenders of morality and right speech to justify the Libyan campaign? Where are all the Bush I and II thumpers that used to love to beat em up over directing warfare in the name of democracy spreading when it's really about oil?? Oh, did you guys think Gates was talking about camelhair coats when he spoke of our "interest" in the area?

Or is it because we're spending millions but since we didn't lead the charge, it's OK? Double standards? Afraid to bash the Hope and Change? Wasn't Candidate Obama going to end these wars within 9 months of taking office?
Seriously, just wondering where the make GWB a war criminal protesters are? Where the fvck is Cindy Sheehan now??

But hey, the over the hill, soon to be replaced P-3 Orion shot 2 maverick missiles today to disable a Libyan coast guard boat that was shooting at merchant vessels, so it's a good day to be doing war fighting...oops, I mean kinetic military action.
Americans don't mind war, even the moderates. Americans hate LOSING at war, and by "losing" I'm also including that pesky little "not-winning" aspect.

Public support Gulf War I: 81% approval rating
Public support for "war" in Kosovo: 60% approval rating
Public support for Afghanistan war: 90% initial, dropping to 50% now...
Public support for Gulf War II: 71% initial, dropping to 40% in 2007...

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
What? NO comments on Obama's big defenders of morality and right speech to justify the Libyan campaign?
Wasn't Candidate Obama going to end these wars within 9 months of taking office?
im kinda getting sick of America being the "world police," though in situations like this i suppose its good for us to wave our big d!ck around. it seems the world waits to see what we do then jumps on the ball. i do think we should stop pvssy footing around and just take that fvcker out and be done with it and save us billions of dollars in a half-assed war.

Gitmo is still waiting on his promise too

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

Right now, there are no plans to invade.

That's the big difference. I hate to be frank, but flyovers don't concern me a bit.

If we invade, then there is a huge problem.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
CNN is reporting this "skirmish" has cost us $600mil so far w/ a estimated $40mil/week from now on to maintain the no-fly zone

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Uh, the secret is out...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/30/obama--secret-order-libya-signed-rebel-support_n_842734.html

President Barack Obama has signed a secret order authorizing covert U.S. government support for rebel forces seeking to oust Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi, government officials told Reuters on Wednesday.

Obama signed the order, known as a presidential "finding", within the last two or three weeks, according to four U.S. government sources familiar with the matter.

Such findings are a principal form of presidential directive used to authorize secret operations by the Central Intelligence Agency. The CIA and the White House declined immediate comment.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
the CIA is now saying they helped rescue one of the downed F15 airmen last week
Which explains how the second airman who didn't land in rebel territory was 'recovered'. I was wondering that out loud lest week.

And isn't this how Vietnam started?

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Which explains how the second airman who didn't land in rebel territory was 'recovered'. I was wondering that out loud lest week.

i didnt know he wasnt in rebel territory...then again they didnt hold too much territory

and i was thinking the same thing about 'Nam last night.
we really need to send these guys in and just be done with it:

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
derp on me.
im sure Chuck is MORE than enough to handle the Colonel Gaddafi.
"They call him Colonel Gaddafi. It sounds like he should have a chain of terrorist chicken stores. 'Come on down to Colonel Gaddafi's Bomb in a Bucket. Bring the kids, get a grenade!! Come on down!!' This is a man that had the audacity to say, 'This is a line of death. You cross it you die. OK. Cross this line, you die. OK. Cross this line, you die. OK. You knocking on my door. I'm not coming out.'"

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

Yep, but we have a different issue than Vietnam.

We weren't fight just the NVA, but also China and the Soviet Union.

Khaddafi has no support but the rebels are not going to be American stooges.

Unfortunately, we are going to have to deal with unpopularity in the Middle East for the coming years. Thankfully, we have a Muslim President...