Quantcast

Last weekend @ Big Bear before winter...

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I just got off the phone with Snow Summit. They are almost as clueless as we are. The lady I talked to said that this weekend would likely not be the last weekend they are open. She said that she would guess that it would be the weekend after, but that things change daily and nothing is set in stone.

I am wondering if they decide whether or not to remain open based on the previous weekends attendance. :think: Maybe if there are enough of us up there and it is not snowing (highly unlikely) that they will stay open a few more weeks. One can only hope.

See y'all Sunday.

Riff Raff

Monkey
Sep 27, 2001
Back in Boulder ready ta ride
Ciaran said:
I just got off the phone with Snow Summit. They are almost as clueless as we are. The lady I talked to said that this weekend would likely not be the last weekend they are open. She said that she would guess that it would be the weekend after, but that things change daily and nothing is set in stone.

I am wondering if they decide whether or not to remain open based on the previous weekends attendance. :think: Maybe if there are enough of us up there and it is not snowing (highly unlikely) that they will stay open a few more weeks. One can only hope.

See y'all Sunday.
I feel it's the weather driving the decision, If it's cold enough to blow snow... Also remember they start plowing the jumps and stuff, So if you thought things were bad this summer, You may find yourself wishing they still had that p.o.s. jump this weekend.

-H

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Dog Welder said:
I talked to one of the lift guys and he said that the last weekend would be the week after the fall classic.
Cock-PUNCH!

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Mike, I just have a one bedroom-living rm-kitchenette condo. Tym might be in and so is Rabie. If y'all consider chipping in, I could probably get a two bed rm or even 3... but it's like $120- $130+ for those options tomorrow night..

ZJChaser

Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Orange County, CA
merrrrjig said:
I emailed snow summit heres what they said: Mountain biking will continue until early November or until winter conditions arrive. Hope that helps!
lol...well as far as my gf will know, this is the last weekend still. shes bitter that she has this weekend off work(very rare) and I'm going to be biking.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Orven, I'm in for whatever. Floor or couch is fine with me.

MD

TYM

Monkey
Sep 10, 2001
Torrance CA
Orven said:
Mike, I just have a one bedroom-living rm-kitchenette condo. Tym might be in and so is Rabie. If y'all consider chipping in, I could probably get a two bed rm or even 3... but it's like $120- $130+ for those options tomorrow night..
I'm in for sure ... will pitch in whatever is necessary.

See you guys bright and early tomorrow.

Seriously.

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
aight..I'lll see if I can upgrade to a 2 bedroom

update:
We got a 2 bedroom condo.. hopefully the stairway is not Thundercloud-esque.
part of the chip in is for yo suckas to bring vhs mtb flicks..

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
So is BigBear closed now?

Anyone know if the rain hit, or was it snow?

Either way, will they be open next weekend? I was planning on goping up.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
They closed on Sunday because of the rain. Disappointing...we spent all morning preparing to ride, but the chairlift ride would've been hell, too. They sent their crew home before opening time. So, we returned our rain jackets to K-Mart and started the slow drive home. The rain had put dog-sized boulders all over the road, and it was about 20' visibility in some places. Rabie and I hit SJT on the way back, so the day wasn't a total loss.

MD

Edit: Orven, I still owe you for the room. Old people in K-Mart...kept me in there for like 15 min, and you were gone by the time I was done.

ZJChaser

Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Orange County, CA
hahaha...we saw you guys in the K-Mart parking lot....well I saw a car with a bike rack with a Nicoli on the back and assumed it to be Orvens. we were at K-Mart buying cheap sweatshirts and ponchos and wool socks. We ended up shuttling up Big Bear all day. There we a few groups of people doing it. It was one of my favorite riding days at big bear ever

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Well I woke up to rain on sunday and was bummed. I was up late bleeding my brakes, and bought new grips and such. Well, I am going to try this next weekend coming up. If they are still open I am there. Dang, I shoulda gone up saturday. :mumble:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
ZJChaser said:
hahaha...we saw you guys in the K-Mart parking lot....well I saw a car with a bike rack with a Nicoli on the back and assumed it to be Orvens. we were at K-Mart buying cheap sweatshirts and ponchos and wool socks. We ended up shuttling up Big Bear all day. There we a few groups of people doing it. It was one of my favorite riding days at big bear ever
No, that was my car; Rabie's Helius was on the rack with my Turner. Orven's bike was in his G/F's pickup. We considered shuttling, but didn't have a good vehicle set-up to do it with, so we just went and met some people to ride in OC. Glad you guys had fun. I was going to do some XC at Rim Nordic on the way down, but after seeing the road conditions, figured it was best to just get the hell off the mountain.

I wonder if you bought the ponchos we'd just returned...

MD

ZJChaser

Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Orange County, CA
were they clear? we bought two of em. if you went to the base of the mountain there were like 3 groups of 5-10 people shuttling. it wouldn't have been too tough to get in with a group. everyone was really cool. giving other people rides up and such. and the drive up 2N10 really wasn't bad. easy for the 2wd trucks too and a honda element.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
We actually bought the clear $8 rainsuits. They had zippered jackets instead of flappy ponchos.

Slacker

Monkey
Jul 24, 2002
Los Angeles
So, were one of you dudes riding an electric blue M1 and someone on a silver Nicolai / wearing red & white (super smooth)?

(this was on Sat)

TYM

Monkey
Sep 10, 2001
Torrance CA
Slacker said:
So, were one of you dudes riding an electric blue M1 and someone on a silver Nicolai / wearing red & white (super smooth)?

(this was on Sat)
That has to Orver. Here's how to tell:

1) Orver
Bike - Silver Nicolai M-pire (Contraption)
Gear - Red and white "Team" Nicolai jersey and shorts. No pads and pink socks
Riding - Usually chasing down freeriders or luring newbies down expert level trails

2) Raabie himself
Bike - Silver Nicolai Helius (Simplistic)
Gear - Mandatory freeride colors gray and black only. Absolutely no logos.
Riding - Usually passing cofreeriders on a flat tire

Hope that helps.

R

Rabie

TYM said:
That has to Orver. Here's how to tell:

1) Orver
Bike - Silver Nicolai M-pire (Contraption)
Gear - Red and white "Team" Nicolai jersey and shorts. No pads and pink socks
Riding - Usually chasing down freeriders or luring newbies down expert level trails

2) Raabie himself
Bike - Silver Nicolai Helius (Simplistic)
Gear - Mandatory freeride colors gray and black only. Absolutely no logos.
Riding - Usually passing cofreeriders on a flat tire

Hope that helps.
3) TYM
Bike- Fancypants deal with brake jack.
Gear- What are you, gay?
Riding- Taking a break.

dma528

Chimp
Jun 28, 2004
Central Coast
"luring newbies down expert level trails" GREAT way to describe Orven. I have been with when he does this. I'm (Adam wrench for team SoCalSixPack) not near the fastest rider but watching newbies try to follow Orven is amusing.

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
dma528 said:
"luring newbies down expert level trails" GREAT way to describe Orven. I have been with when he does this. I'm (Adam wrench for team SoCalSixPack) not near the fastest rider but watching newbies try to follow Orven is amusing.
Yeah, I've been there too. Like when I first got my DH bike. lol
But riding with him and a few of these other monkeys did make me a better rider. Not that I'm all that great, but better then I was.

R

Rabie

Orven said:
So is this weekend closed as well?
The website says they've got a lot of rain, but not enough snow for the skiing. Sounds to me like there's another weekend of the biking.

TYM

Monkey
Sep 10, 2001
Torrance CA
If anyone gets official word that they'll be open this weekend please post it here. I'm dying to get another weekend of riding in.

Slacker

Monkey
Jul 24, 2002
Los Angeles
TYM said:
If anyone gets official word that they'll be open this weekend please post it here. I'm dying to get another weekend of riding in.
I'll be calling them tomorrow... will post tomorrow evening.

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
dma528 said:
Hey everyone, it's Micro's illegitimate cousin.

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
TYM said:
we wuz robbed last weekend so I'm hell bent (rabie trademark and copyrights) to get one more weekend out of Big Bear Puddle.. Man, that live feed of Westridge looks yummy..tackilicious..

Slacker

Monkey
Jul 24, 2002
Los Angeles
Good news my fellow monkeys... she's O P E N :cool: :cool: :cool: :devil: :devil: :devil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :heart: :heart: :heart: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :love: :love: :love: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Come and get your tackilicious DH tracks!!!

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Slacker said:
Good news my fellow monkeys... she's O P E N :cool: :cool: :cool: :devil: :devil: :devil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :heart: :heart: :heart: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :love: :love: :love: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Come and get your tackilicious DH tracks!!!
No way... we need to find a credible news forecast for Big Bear this weekend.. Those guys leave town soon as rain hits the slopes.

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
if it is indeed open, we promise to take puddle-splashing pictures and maybe post a dirty-me pic for a change. post-ride beer is required...it'd be so cold by the afternoon we need to "warm" up.