Quantcast

Leave Volkswagen alone...she's going through a custody battle.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
i'm calling it right now, in two weeks you will have some sort of problem with the car.
I'll take you on that bet to the tune of $20.

:D

I wouldn't if I knew it'd been beaten, but it has been a well-cared for VW, which is the only way a VW will run beyond 60k miles.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Looks great. The 1.8 is a nice engine too, a friend of mine had an A4 and liked the smaller motor when he test drove it.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
time to drop it and add some rims :D
Actually, I really like the way it handles right now, even with the huge wheelgap (though admittedly not as bad as the stock Mk3). I'm told the suspension geometry stock is nearly spot on (maybe just stiffer springs and some Koni shocks?) I may try dropping it an inch or two in the future, but right now all that's on my "to-do" list is:

-New Mintex pads and some slotted rotors so it doesn't go crunch and passes inspection
-GIAC chip (adds about 50hp and 60ft#tq...hooray turbo engines)
-Aftermarket diverter valve (chip shreds the stock one)
-Tint jorb
-Possibly new wheels, as I hate the ones on it right now (pining for Santa Monicas, pictured below. BBS-style is kinda played, though I wouldn't mind some forged 3-piece all in black...too bad they run in the thousands)

I discovered that the rear seat bases fold into the legroom space behind the driver/passenger seats, allowing the seatbacks to fold flat into the floor. I can car-camp in this car! STOKED! I <3 hatchbacks.

I really like having a car that doesn't need hardly any maintenance when I buy it.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Actually, I really like the way it handles right now, even with the huge wheelgap (though admittedly not as bad as the stock Mk3). I'm told the suspension geometry stock is nearly spot on (maybe just stiffer springs and some Koni shocks?)
ahha, nearly spot on for what exactly? you're as blinded as The Joker is about subarus... :D

congrats on buying a car that at least has the theoretical potential to not be a huge money pit. keep it stock!

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
ahha, nearly spot on for what exactly? you're as blinded as The Joker is about subarus... :D

congrats on buying a car that at least has the theoretical potential to not be a huge money pit. keep it stock!
Driving around blind corners in residential areas next to elementary schools with crosswalks in front at 80mph, of course :biggrin:

This car likely won't see any auto-x...that's what the Porsche is for. It will stay mostly stock...when/if the turbo goes it will be upgraded to a Garrett or K04 and accompanying injectors/software.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
You do realize when a chips adds 50whp, you need all the supporting mods, right? Intake, up-pipe, down-pipe, header, hi-flo cat, and exhaust. It's not just a plug in that equals super HP... :rolleyes:

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
You do realize when a chips adds 50whp, you need all the supporting mods, right? Intake, up-pipe, down-pipe, header, hi-flo cat, and exhaust. It's not just a plug in that equals super HP... :rolleyes:

I was kind of wondering the same thing...I don't know much about tuning v dubs but those number seem kind of high for just a chip replacement...my other thought is if you did it will everything else remaining stock...something is going to give....D

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
But the chrome tip I bought at Autozone added 10hp and it just used a screw to hold it on. I would think a solid state device should be good for at least 50hp considering it uses more than a single point interface (multiple pins vs. a single screw).

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Maybe it is a little sound board that screams in german at the air in front of the car. The air will get out of the way quicker giving the reduced drag equivalent of 50HP.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Once again, you've stormed one of my threads with your trusty "jump-to-conclusions" mat.

None of which you listed is *needed* for a chip. The 50/50 gain (varies: Some see as little as 30whp/50tq on stock everything, others see almost 60/60) is with none of that added. Granted, it does help everything flow much better and can quite possibly double those gains, but like I said, not needed. The only item that will require replacement with the addition of a chip to a 1.8t is the stock diverter valve.

Here we go, some numbers from APR, one of the most respected and trusted 1.8T tuners out there. And their chip isn't as aggressive as the GIAC-X.

APR said:
Engine ECU Number
91 Octane Chipped 93 Octane Chipped
196hp/240lb-ft 204hp/242lb-ft AWD 5spd
http://www.goapr.com/VW/products/ecu_upgrade_golf18t.html

GIAC said:
Programming for - The 2000 Golf®/Jetta® 1.8T
GIAC performance software for the 2000 Golf®/Jetta® 1.8T smoothly delivers a 40-50 hp and 50 ft-lbs gain.
http://www.giacusa.com/programs.php?mpid=77

Intake? Are you ****ing kidding? One of the most worthless "mods" available. You call yourself knowledgeable? A K&N drop-in is plenty...anything more is for looks/the sound.

Seriously dude. Come back when you have a fvcking clue.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
ok so get this chip done...i want to see how long your car last with no other mods while putting 50 more HP...oh BTW is that to the wheels or at the crank?...D

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
50hp is what, like almost 30% more power??
those must be some seriously oversized stock injectors then.... :biggrin:

there was a version of basically that same engine putting out 225hp stock. in the seat leon cupra R and some audis.... i´ve heard about those chips too, but anybody knows what differences besides software there were?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
50hp is what, like almost 30% more power??
those must be some seriously oversized stock injectors then.... :biggrin:

there was a version of basically that same engine putting out 225hp stock. in the seat leon cupra R and some audis.... i´ve heard about those chips too, but anybody knows what differences besides software there were?
Yeah - the original version of the 1.8T, the 150bhp version, is very conservatively tuned. Bigger injectors aren't needed until a bigger turbo goes on. In 02 a 180bhp rendering was dropped into the VWs/Audis. Nearly exact same engine, just different tuning. I believe the 225bhp version put in the Audi TT225 and the SEAT has a K04 turbo instead of a K03 and a bigger exhaust (the stock VW exhaust is incredibly restrictive). I'd kill for one of those Cupra Rs...they're available in Mexico :brows:

And it's at the crank, not wheels.

D, the only thing the chip kills is the stock DV, everything else is fine to go on a huge HP increase. Why do you think I bought it? Bolt on heaven... :cupidarrow: Really cheap and easy to make relatively quick. Of course, not the potential of a VR, but it also lacks the headaches...and uses a 20 valve head.

I'll be honest, I would've rather had a 1.8T A4 Avant Quattro for the AWD, but they're very rare and this was a deal I couldn't pass on.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
The only way a vw engine will last over 100k is if you get the diesel. And then you have to deal with all of your electrical accessories not working.

After owning a couple of Turbo cars/trucks, you can definitely get those numbers out of a chip, but you will break stuff.