Quantcast

Leave Volkswagen alone...she's going through a custody battle.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Once again, you've stormed one of my threads with your trusty "jump-to-conclusions" mat.

Intake? Are you ****ing kidding? One of the most worthless "mods" available. You call yourself knowledgeable? A K&N drop-in is plenty...anything more is for looks/the sound.

Seriously dude. Come back when you have a fvcking clue.
My mistake, I am not a VW rat. On Subies an intake does have a rather large effect. :rolleyes:

Larson TT y0!

Monkey
Jan 21, 2007
Maryland
putting in chip, turbo, headers, pipes, exhaust and a few other things will bring it up to 330HP
You've got that right! Esp. when turbo cars have headers and all that jazz..:crazy:

I'm seeing alot of stupid comments regarding chips and the car in general, please research chips.

SPAM! I have some HRE 540's for sale!

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
The only way a vw engine will last over 100k is if you get the diesel. And then you have to deal with all of your electrical accessories not working.

After owning a couple of Turbo cars/trucks, you can definitely get those numbers out of a chip, but you will break stuff.
funny. I've bought, owned, sold, driven and wrenched (not necessarily in that order :p ) on plenty of vw 1.3s, 1.4s, 1.6s and 1.8s with plenty more than 100k miles that ran like tops. I guess it depends on how well you drive / maintain your equipment.

my 91 mkii carat has only slightly more miles than stevew's coupe...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
The only way a vw engine will last over 100k is if you get the diesel.
Bullsh!t....

1993 Passat VR6 191,000 miles
1989 VW GTI 1.8 16V 180,000 miles
1992 VW Jetta GL 8V 200,000 miles

The Passat is still running. The Jetta was running fine when I sold it in CO. The 16V engine was still running when it was pulled from the GTI and the car was crushed. That engine is still in my older brothers garage. And I am absolutely horrible when it comes to oil changes and sh!t like that.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Bullsh!t....

1993 Passat VR6 191,000 miles
My ex-es '93 Passat GLX (VR6) has about that many miles and the engine is still going. She's on her 2nd or 3rd transmission (auto crap), but the engine still runs. I know she never has the oil changed less than every 10k either.

She does blow a lot of fuses though.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I wish my subaru had the VR6 from my GTI. The rest of the GTI could stay on the VW or in the cardboard box I kept all the parts that fell off in.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
You've got that right! Esp. when turbo cars have headers and all that jazz..:crazy:

I'm seeing alot of stupid comments regarding chips and the car in general, please research chips.

SPAM! I have some HRE 540's for sale!
Tasty...

I was originally thinking of going with APR for the program switchability with the cruise control, but the tune isn't as aggressive as GIAC and the local dealer charges an arm and a leg for an install. I don't think I'll ever switch it off of 91 octane anyway...

You live close to EIP?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I wish my subaru had the VR6 from my GTI. The rest of the GTI could stay on the VW or in the cardboard box I kept all the parts that fell off in.
Well then, have I got a deal for you!

Shipping should be around $400. LMK. :biggrin:

BTW, Steve, I'm stealing your coupe in the night.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Wow I think V Dubs are the most loved and hated car brand on earth after seeing all these threads that blue starts
Like most everything car/truck, I love just about anything anything pre '73. I love V Dubs, especially pre '69. You can have the FWD garbage and the chip related performance crap.

Larson TT y0!

Monkey
Jan 21, 2007
Maryland
You live close to EIP?

10 minutes from them...delt with them when I worked for VW, they lost their account 3 times. The private owner isn't a bad guy (I know him personally) but Rich is'nt the best businessman.

Go with APR, it's nice and smooth, GIAC is if you want the most all out power but it isn't as smooth and wil surge in certain gears. Revo is nearly the same as APR as it's one of APR's founders that ran away with some of the programming. I'm getting a K04 kit together now and will be running their software since othing beats OEM power.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Well then, have I got a deal for you!

Shipping should be around $400. LMK. :biggrin:

BTW, Steve, I'm stealing your coupe in the night.
No thanks. It would stick out a few feet from the front bumper if I could mount it to the tranny and I don't have any room in my closet for fuel.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
if you get a chip i want to see before and after dyno sheets, same day, same dyno, same weather, no bs.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
if you get a chip i want to see before and after dyno sheets, same day, same dyno, same weather, no bs.
There's $100 I don't have ;)

I might dyno it at some point, but it might be after more stuff is done. I've never been one to dyno all the time, costs too much and honestly, I don't really care all that much.

The steering rack is really quick...Now I see why they're semi-popular for auto-x.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Or you could just realise that the speed limit where you live is low enough that it's a complete waste of money.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Or you could just realise that the speed limit where you live is low enough that it's a complete waste of money.

Every modern car sold can exceed the speed limit by a significant margin. Extra horsepower is needed to accelerate uphill with a carload of passengers in a headwind.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
blue: uping the injectors really is the next step if you want the most bang from the apr chip.

larson: are those 5x112? how much $ were you thinking?

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Every modern car sold can exceed the speed limit by a significant margin. Extra horsepower is needed to accelerate uphill with a carload of passengers in a headwind.

Indeed....it's not top speed. It's the accelration.

And I discovered that my Jetta is not speed limted. Most cars around here are governed around 180kph. I broke 200 kph the other day and it showed no signs of cutting out.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Indeed....it's not top speed. It's the accelration.

And I discovered that my Jetta is not speed limted. Most cars around here are governed around 180kph. I broke 200 kph the other day and it showed no signs of cutting out.
Most cars are speed limited to the rating of their tires if the engine is capable of exceeding it. A car that can push 130 mph that comes with S rated tires is a large lawsuit waiting to happen.