Quantcast

Leave Volkswagen alone...she's going through a custody battle.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Hey look everyone it's mr. know-it-all. :clapping:

it could be 100hp for all I care, its the TQ that matters in the 1.8t...go ride your ellsworth.
go look at post #34 by blue: "The 50/50 gain (varies: Some see as little as 30whp/50tq on stock everything, others see almost 60/60)"

seeing a 24 whp gain after all that hyperbole should raise an eyebrow to anyone who has not drunk the vw koolaid.

Larson TT y0!

Monkey
Jan 21, 2007
Maryland
150hp and diesel models see the higher gains not to mention every chipped car is see's different gains and depends on what kind of dyno its on. I've never seen this many people so eager to bash something yet so scared to research for themselves.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
hmmm...+59HP and +88TQ!! from a chip without any mods to manifold, exhaust, axles, etc.?? Is this car a daily driver? and it's still street legal??...D

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
hmmm...+59HP and +88TQ!! from a chip without any mods to manifold, exhaust, axles, etc.?? Is this car a daily driver? and it's still street legal??...D
Perhaps you should consider a VW? ;)

One nice thing about VW...the drivetrains tend to hold up to considerable power relative to stock before needing upgrading. I could've bolted a turbo kit to my VR with an exhaust and a FMIC and made 275-300whp before needing to upgrade anything else.

This is one major disappointment about my Porsche. Everything can barely hold up to stock power, let alone anything extra.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
ok I 'll admit it's pretty impressive if it works...but I'm a Honda guy and nothing is going to change that anytime soon ;)...D

Blah, Scooby is where it's at.

On the other hand, I'm about go out to my car and start installing dynamat because the exaust resonates in the wagon pretty badly. Starting up now my car sounds like a 7L V8, growls like a mofo, but it's too damn loud (resonates).

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC

On the other hand, I'm about go out to my car and start installing dynamat because the exaust resonates in the wagon pretty badly. Starting up now my car sounds like a 7L V8, growls like a mofo, but it's too damn loud (resonates).
yeah my car is pretty loud now as well... I recently installed a lighter exhaust but now you can hear it a mile away...I might just switch back...I hate getting all the stares and being lumped in with the so called "ricers"...D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

i ended up putting a cat and a resonator in the midpipe along with a quiet axleback (prodrive). still got 297 whp: take that, 100 whp melon-shooting ricebois... heh

Larson TT y0!

Monkey
Jan 21, 2007
Maryland
BMXMAN- Now I know where allt his disbelief is coming from. I used to have a 95' teg with jdm front conversion and gen drag III. Totalled a week after I threw some work wheels on it (someone racing the OTHER way lost control, crossed the median and hit me headon)

Chuffer- It was chipped than ran. With GIAC and most other chip tuners you can buy a flashloader that lets you choose between octane programs, valet and anti-theft on the fly. So in other words after it was ran on a 93 program it was switched to stock.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
BMXMAN- Now I know where allt his disbelief is coming from. I used to have a 95' teg with jdm front conversion and gen drag III. Totalled a week after I threw some work wheels on it (someone racing the OTHER way lost control, crossed the median and hit me headon)
ok I have a question now...how did you and the car hold up? I want to buy a 3rd gen teg and I would definitely get the conversion as I hate the owl eyes...but I'm not so confident in the structural integrity if I lose control on the track...D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
lose control on the track?! just hold on tight when the vtec kicks in, yo. :D

shouldn't you be working on laguna seca? or are you at work?

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
lose control on the track?! just hold on tight when the vtec kicks in, yo. :D

shouldn't you be working on laguna seca? or are you at work?
lol...I'm vtec less....I work from home now...and don't you worry...I have the nights to take you down:monkeydance:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california

My favorite sounding motors = Boxers and VRs/Ws.

Too bad they're both huge PITAs to maintain.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Ummm...Yeah. Horizontal cylinders=great fun.
Obviously Porsche has it all wrong. Ever heard of their flat-4 or flat-6? Yeah, that's a Boxer engine. And don't forget the prop engined planes using Subaru Turbo Flat-4 engines because of their consistency and reliability.
Have you ever had a Subaru? Not one with 200k miles on it, but a non-worn flat engine? They are pretty damn reliable if you maintain them, like any other car.

You sir are a bona fide VW fan boi and nothing is better that your car.

VW's are awesome and reliable cars when treated well and well maintained ( I know, my g/f has one), but they are no more spectacular than any other car in the same category, when properly maintained.
The same goes for Subaru, Honda, and the likes. All very good cars. Why do you persistently, and insistently bash on models of cars that you don't have as being inferior?
Are you saying that the horizontally opposed engine layout is inferior to the inline-4 of the VW? With that would you quantify VW as a superior to Porsche, even when the only VW's that can compete with Porsche are all W- and V- format engine?
Start looking at the whole picture and give the + and - of a vehicle based on the car, not a sole piece.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Obviously Porsche has it all wrong. Ever heard of their flat-4 or flat-6? Yeah, that's a Boxer engine. And don't forget the prop engined planes using Subaru Turbo Flat-4 engines because of their consistency and reliability.
Have you ever had a Subaru? Not one with 200k miles on it, but a non-worn flat engine? They are pretty damn reliable if you maintain them, like any other car.

You sir are a bona fide VW fan boi and nothing is better that your car.

VW's are awesome and reliable cars when treated well and well maintained ( I know, my g/f has one), but they are no more spectacular than any other car in the same category, when properly maintained.
The same goes for Subaru, Honda, and the likes. All very good cars. Why do you persistently, and insistently bash on models of cars that you don't have as being inferior?
Are you saying that the horizontally opposed engine layout is inferior to the inline-4 of the VW? With that would you quantify VW as a superior to Porsche, even when the only VW's that can compete with Porsche are all W- and V- format engine?
Start looking at the whole picture and give the + and - of a vehicle based on the car, not a sole piece.
Holy crap kid, calm down. I was actually helping pull apart a Porsche motor in the back of an 83 911 SC last week, hence my snide commentary. Boxers are a huge pain in the ass to work on, but I don't know that you will ever know that side of them.

VW cars aren't "superior" to anything. They're finicky, front heavy (and heavy all around), overengineered, and pretty damned slow. Their only true strongpoints tend to be in the powerplants.

I just like them. Though it is a very love/hate relationship. :)

Believe me, if I could've picked up a WRX for how much I bought my Golf for, I would've in a heartbeat.

Larson TT y0!

Monkey
Jan 21, 2007
Maryland
Subaru's are one of the worst sounding cars IMO and thats all that matters to me. (1.8t's with exhaust sound bad as well hence the reason why I don't have one) but.........subaru's can go alittle bit longer, like honda's when neglected and I like how the models share alot of the same parts.

when it comes to fan boi's I'm the biggest to porsche (por-sha) ask me anything, I know all ;-)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Holy crap kid, calm down. I was actually helping pull apart a Porsche motor in the back of an 83 911 SC last week, hence my snide commentary. Boxers are a huge pain in the ass to work on, but I don't know that you will ever know that side of them.

VW cars aren't "superior" to anything. They're finicky, front heavy (and heavy all around), overengineered, and pretty damned slow. Their only true strongpoints tend to be in the powerplants.

Believe me, if I could've picked up a WRX for how much I bought my Golf for, I would've in a heartbeat.
Thing I liked about my VW was the low end torque. It would actually pull nicely under 2K. I think the turbos are sized small enough on the new VW turbo cars to have low end performance but I've never driven one.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
this ISN'T mine but its one of the many that proves his statement. Please, no more excuses.

whats exactly the size of the stock injectors on a 150hp stock 1.8t engine???

i´ve only had 2 modified fuel injected cars, and i remember clearly anything over 70% the injectors theoretical limit under ideal conditions was a recipe for ohnoes! according to a haltech programmer.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Thing I liked about my VW was the low end torque. It would actually pull nicely under 2K. I think the turbos are sized small enough on the new VW turbo cars to have low end performance but I've never driven one.
Hell yeah, the turbo on my 1.8t spools up at about 1.5k RPM. It's got more low end guts than the VR did.

Larson TT y0!

Monkey
Jan 21, 2007
Maryland
whats exactly the size of the stock injectors on a 150hp stock 1.8t engine???

i´ve only had 2 modified fuel injected cars, and i remember clearly anything over 70% the injectors theoretical limit under ideal conditions was a recipe for ohnoes! according to a haltech programmer.
That for car I'm sure was 318cc but it can vary.

Larson TT y0!

Monkey
Jan 21, 2007
Maryland
fromo the top of my head... at 200whp, it seems injectors that small would max out even at 100% efficiency.... :twitch:
how about the rails?
Stock jets and rail are good up to275-300WHP people only change them when upgrading to a larger turbo, anything before that may harm performance. STI jets work well with a bigger turbo in a 1.8t

Page 11 pwnage.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Stock jets and rail are good up to275-300WHP people only change them when upgrading to a larger turbo, anything before that may harm performance. STI jets work well with a bigger turbo in a 1.8t

Page 11 pwnage.
assuming no outrageous fuel rail pressures.... around 1300cc worth of gasoline per minute are good for reliable 300whp on a low compression engine???
stoichometric laws and first law of thermo take that!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

reeeeeeeeeeeeeer you both are little beetches...

you're comparing a rear-engined, german built flat six to a front-engined boxer four built by a japanese former tractor company? BIG difference without ever getting inside the engines...I don't want to propel this argument any further, but I think it's safe to say working on ANY german car will GENERALLY be more difficult than working on any japanese car...generally...

and on the sound note...4bangers are the nastiest sounding cars out there...the boxers in subies at least have nice burbles because of the unequal exhaust runners....but if you want to hear a real engine, stick your head near and old audi 10v...just not too close, it might explode.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I had one that melted a piston, i believe due to timing advance...after it warped the head...then another had had some nasty valve tick...but I got rid of it before it could asplode.

What was yours in? I had two Ur coupes...