Quantcast

Let's start talkin Galbraith

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i mean i know Oly wants to go someday, so let's see about getting a big ole fat ride together. Bobs, whoopsie whoodle, kung fu, all that dope ****.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
I am not making any promises as I've been having a very bad bike week.:help: By the way, my BB was toast but thanks to Tom (mtbguy100k) that issue has been resolved. If the DBR can take a few rides w/o incident then we shall seriously consider some Galby :heart:ing.
I've only been once and it wasn't on any of those trails, so naturally I'm intrigued.
Let me know as soon as you know and I'll let you know how it's looking on my end.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Date/time? I say in a few weeks. That way we can get a bunch of people to say they will go, but to only have them bail in the last day or so.,,,, :) the RM curse....

Seriously though im thinking Turkey day weekend is when i can finally get out.?? the 27-28? I have 2 days off that week so there shouldnt be any reason why i cant get one of those days free on the weekend.....

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
oly said:
Date/time? I say in a few weeks. That way we can get a bunch of people to say they will go, but to only have them bail in the last day or so.,,,, :) the RM curse....

Seriously though im thinking Turkey day weekend is when i can finally get out.?? the 27-28? I have 2 days off that week so there shouldnt be any reason why i cant get one of those days free on the weekend.....
We'll be back in town late Saturday night so Sunday would work....I'll probably still be full from Thanksgiving :dead:

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Snacks said:
We'll be back in town late Saturday night so Sunday would work....I'll probably still be full from Thanksgiving :dead:
If thats too tight for you guys then maybe the 4-5 weekend? it wouls be a squeeze to do it 20-21, but it couls also be possible.... might mean x-mas shopping on turkey weekend.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Well should we ride Thanksgiving Sunday, call it the Gobble Gobble Galby ride?

if so we'll revisit this thread and get particulars down as the time draws nearer, i think leaving Seattle area around 8ish or 9ish is good. also if Joelsman goes he'd make a great ride leader there, but i'd say look forward to pedaling up to the tower possibly twice and riding up and down the north side at least once, doing a ride that's around 15 to 20 miles depending.... So in other words bringing an XC/trail/freeride bike with gears would be the plan.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
hell yea, put me down for a maybe.

or, put me down for a no show....:D

I don't think I could even ride one mile right now without oxygen assist.....
I'll know better when the date gets solidified.

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
We rode there last weekend in the rain/mud. It was a blast..I can't wait to ride there when it's dry. Only have rode there twice, both times it was super crappy out! Ethan and I would be down to ride with you all. The problem would be if Steven's opens early...then we will be up at the mountain instead... :D

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
I'll go, of course. I think that Sunday will work for me. I know of a good route to take if we go up and down from towers twice. Also, from my house there is a quick way up to towers, but maybe I'll leave that secret. My route is towers, shawns tower trail, another one, another longer one, Kaiser; Then there are two options, go farther down before returning towers or go back to towers from there and hit Whoopsie Woodle and then be done. That, it it were only me doing the ride, would be about 3.5 hours, but I am fast. :p

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Maybe. I'm in the, "hey if there's snow...." But, I doubt that will happen by Thanksgiving weekend now. Maybe Baker. Maybe...

Dwaugh, what do you think of climbing the other side up 3 Little Pigs? It's the way I've always gone and I really like it. Throwing in a Kaiser Loop on the way up.
But, that's coming in from the other side. Because that seems to be where we always park. At the lot.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
Borneo said:
Dwaugh, what do you think of climbing the other side up 3 Little Pigs? It's the way I've always gone and I really like it. Throwing in a Kaiser Loop on the way up.
But, that's coming in from the other side. Because that seems to be where we always park. At the lot.
Hmmm, then I will need to get a ride, if we go from the other side then I can just ride there from home... :p
But, if they are looking for a long ride, then I think that we should go up ridge trail, cedar dust, death climb (muahahaha :devil: ) up towers road, down woopsie woodle, back up to towers, down shawns tower trail, down naughty nellie, keystone, kaiser, a bit of road that goes kinda uphill, down purple heart, down am intestine trail, down bob's, kenoyer connector, back to the parking lot. Yes, some back tracking is done, but I think that it is well worth it. This is a long route and should make the drive up worth it, agree? :)

Your route sounds good, but then it doesnt touch much on the other side of the mountain. It could, but then there would be a ton of uphill in the middle of the ride. I like how my route sounds and really wonder how long it will take - quite a while for sure. :cool: If it doesnt sound like a long enough route let me know and I can add to it. :monkey:

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
I think there might be two kinds of riders thinking of attending this kind of ride, and it is maybe a better idea that we have two groups?
One group wants to ride up trails and actually likes doing that, and doesn't ride downhill as fast. These people enjoy riding flat trails such as Kaiser.
The other group suffers the climb up just for the downhill, and really lives only for that. They don't like flat trails, but prefer gravity assisted trails where pedaling is not always required.
Maybe we should indicate whether we belong to group #1 or group #2, and that way we can get a better idea of who wants to do what.
If I was to go, I would be #2.
Dwaugh is #1
Borneo is #1
Skookum is both #1 and #2 (flexible depending on bike as I recall)
Not sure about Snacks and Kevin

I should add that my more ideal long route would be up the fire road to towers, down Whoopsie Whoodle (guessing now that that must be the name of the trail Dwaugh was referring to with the long log ride), down Scorpion, down Dan's, down Flying Squirrel, up to blue rock, down 911 or Sean's (pref 911), down lower Sean's, across to lower Chutes and done. I'd like to somehow work Bob's and Kenoyer Connector in there, but I can't figure that out without either excessive pedaling or some shuttling since it comes out on the wrong side.

Discuss.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
dwaugh said:
I think that we should go up ridge trail, cedar dust, death climb (muahahaha :devil: ) up towers road, down woopsie woodle, back up to towers, down shawns tower trail, down naughty nellie, keystone, kaiser, a bit of road that goes kinda uphill, down purple heart, down am intestine trail, down bob's, kenoyer connector, back to the parking lot. Yes, some back tracking is done, but I think that it is well worth it. This is a long route and should make the drive up worth it, agree? :)

:
actually that sounds alot like the loop i had in mind if i was to lead the ride. :thumb:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
erikkellison said:
If you just wanna run up and session Bobs or whatever you can lead your own group and try to meet us there, but most of us down here are gonna do the long version. We're not fast power climbers we just take it easy and grind it out then go fast on the descents. That's what trail riders are, not really XC(climb climb climb) not really downhill(shuttle shuttle shuttle). :)

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Hey, I understand what you want for a ride, or so I think. I can do the climbs with you (heck, I can probably beat a few of you), but that's not to say that I enjoy riding up trails. I prefer fire road because technical is harder on a big bike. Sessioning Bob's is kinda dull, that's why I mentioned my route. If anyone wants to do something more along the lines of what I proposed for a ride on Galbraith, let me know. Orrrrr, if anyone wants to go on a bit more core ride, PM me and we can do that instead ;)