Quantcast

Let's start talkin Galbraith

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
smedford said:
A lot of work has been done on Bob's and Seans recently, they are both worth checking out.
ok.
:D
me and pnj went on a weird tower trail wound up goind down to a log drop and out. on a ride i did my myself i went on the trail that is very close to the tower road that has a lot of little bridges, one section you ride on a tree bridge way the hell up (that was cool) and there's a hard left chute section with some drop before and after, is any of that stuff shawns?

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
I've been on Bob's and Sean's recently, and seen the work. While the banked turns are cool, and the maintenance and through-cuts were needed, they're still Sean's (famous for cheese wedges) and Bob's (nothing negative to say about Bob's... it is worth checking out, but not for a whole trip up to Bellingham if you're not from around here.
Focusing... it is worth a drive if you make it a long ride on Galbraith. Either Dwaugh's or my route are both good rides depending on your style.
s dub, no it's not DH... it's aggro XC at best. I do know some gnarlier stuff though if you're interested, and I'm actually off of work (that would actually be considered freeride).

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
SuperSlow said:
Im deff down. Ill lead the ride up there if you want. Galbraith just isnt for big bikes
Cool, at least we're both interested... not sure we need a "leader" though as there isn't much choice of trails. Just let the faster ones go first, eh?

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
i can ride with you two anytime.
but Oly and Skooks only come up here once in a while so i'm going to pretend to be a trail rider for the 28th too.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
I should be able to ride that day, xc. would be cool to ride xc with a bunch of ya instead of just practicing dh runs.

What Time are we gonna meet?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
joelsman said:
I should be able to ride that day, xc. would be cool to ride xc with a bunch of ya instead of just practicing dh runs.

What Time are we gonna meet?
i'm thinking meet at the park at 10 probably leave to start the ride around 10:30ish...

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
Snacks said:
What park? We'll need directions or convoy up from Seattle.
Whatcom Falls Park, I'll leave the direction giving to someone else, I'm not the best.

Next: Whoopsie Woodle is a long trail that goes all along the edge of the hill, you dont go all the way up to towers to get to it.

Next: I can change the route a bit here and there to go on different trails if you would like, for example, after Keystone we can either do Kaiser, or we can bomb down some logging road, go up some road, and go on a different trail that is just as good as Kaiser if not better. Purple heart is a great trail, I wanna go on it, you will too. And another example: Lets say Skookum wants a longer ride, I can simply add in a few trails, like the Chainsaw Massacre trail ;) .
Overall, the route I have planned out has it's fair share of up and downhill. Personally, I love the downhill, but understand that I have to ride up to get to go down.
Also, after the first two trails, all of the major uphill is on roads.

Next: How about we meet at 10:30 and leave at 11:00, it will be much easier for me. If we start on time we would be back by 4:00 at the latest, and hope that Lafeen's still has donuts left. :)

Can I be the leader since I know just about all of Galbraith like the back of my hand and already have a good route planned?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
dwaugh said:
Can I be the leader since I know just about all of Galbraith like the back of my hand and already have a good route planned?
haha if you want to be it's not that big of a deal, but really being a ride leader is also learning how to listen to all the riders to keep em happy(that means sometimes going a different way than you wanted to go), and making sure you keep count so nobody stays the night in the woods. Alot of rides i do it's more of a democracy, and the only time i really am a dictator on rides is when i'm the only one who knows where i'm going. :D

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Kai, that's funny you say that. I've never ridden with you, but that's cool :)
Oh, and I will be off... the 28th is a Sunday, I always have Sundays off.

smedford

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
Bellingham, WA
I don't know that six foot drop just added on Bob's seems like more than "aggro XC at best" While we are not talking huge stuff, we are talking about galbraith. People don't drive up for miles to "freeride" here. Does not mean it is not a fun or worthy trail though.

HippieKai

Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
erikkellison said:
Kai, that's funny you say that. I've never ridden with you, but that's cool :)
Oh, and I will be off... the 28th is a Sunday, I always have Sundays off.
yeah but your close and it wouldn't be hard to hook up for a ride. not like the sea-tac peeps coming up.
as soon as my night/weakend classes stop i'll have some time to hit more riding and we can get a group,of locals together. I need to meet more b-ham riders to go out with.
kai-

Would love to go, especially because I just and finally got a trail bike!!! waaaaaaahooooo!!! However, I have kidney stone surgery on the 22nd and well, riding with a stent in(hollow tube that goes from base of kidney through tubing into bladder and half way down the pee hole with a string hanging out for the pull cord at the end of the grace period) isn't the most fun, let alone being able to ride with it in... Have fun on Galbraith, I finally have a bike that would be fun on it, DH bike's on Galbraith are like shooting yourself in the foot and walking 20 miles, it just sucks.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Ok, I'll be the general leader with the basic outline of a route to take, but if we decide to change it, that's fine with me. :thumb: I wanna go ride right now! Hopefully I'll have my bike running 100% by then, that mean that I need my front brake fixed. If it is still dead then, I'll have to resort to the big bike. :(

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
Too bad the ride is on Sunday. I am heading up to Bellingham for Thanksgiving and I guess staying until Saturday morning. Thats two days of vegetarian living. Do they sell meat or junk food in Bellingham? I guess I will have to pick up some Twinkies and Cupcakes before I get to B'ham. :evil: We will probably be eating turkey flavored fried tofu or something like that.

Anyway I was thinking of taking the bike up there, might as well get some use out of the overpriced Yakima rack which I have used 1x. Is anyone doing a "tofu turkey burner" ride on Friday? I was thinking about loading up with some granola and riding from Fairhaven up to Chuckanut ridge and back down. I should probably get a Nader for President bumper sticker so I can fit in around Fairhaven . ;)

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Borregokid said:
Too bad the ride is on Sunday. I am heading up to Bellingham for Thanksgiving and I guess staying until Saturday morning. Thats two days of vegetarian living. Do they sell meat or junk food in Bellingham? I guess I will have to pick up some Twinkies and Cupcakes before I get to B'ham. :evil: We will probably be eating turkey flavored fried tofu or something like that.

Anyway I was thinking of taking the bike up there, might as well get some use out of the overpriced Yakima rack which I have used 1x. Is anyone doing a "tofu turkey burner" ride on Friday? I was thinking about loading up with some granola and riding from Fairhaven up to Chuckanut ridge and back down. I should probably get a Nader for President bumper sticker so I can fit in around Fairhaven . ;)
Tofurkey? AHAHA.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Borregokid said:

A place to get cheap junk food is Sunshine Liquidators, on COrnwall street across from the high school. Go there. :monkey:

I'd meet with you but I'll be in Portland then.

Borregokid said:

Buahahahaahaha

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Hey Superslow, I thought you were coming with me to the Snake? Or were you just making a statement that someone so young shouldn't lead a bunch of old farts on a ride?
As far as leading is concerned, why don't you all leave that up to who's fastest, and make democratic decisions as to which trail is to be ridden at each junction? I hate it when I'm not the leader, but I'm stuck behind him because he "knows the trails." Speed should take priority, if you ask me.

SuperSlow

Monkey
May 18, 2004
Bellingham
I am completely joking. I think having a leader is stupid. Im dying to ride the snake, but may be tied up with Gf's parents in town. Maybe Ill just fake work?

HippieKai

Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
i'll be there for sure. i may have the girlfriend on tail though so it might be a short day for me. She's a good rider but she's just starting out and i don't want to kill her on a long ride.