Quantcast

mexican-american war re-enactment enthusiasts unite!

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
I think the "...quit their jobs..." part is a bit of a stretch. That is assuming a job in the first place when we know these freedom fighters are all about the unemployment check.
i was going to offer "nat'l guard", so it's like being unemployed without being unemployed.

plus, patriot street cred!

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Gov Nimby (D) weighs in
Martin O’Malley says that deporting the children detained at the border would be sending them to “certain death” — but he also urged the White House not to send them to a facility in his own state.
Hours after the Maryland governor and prospective 2016 presidential candidate became the most prominent Democrat to criticize the White House on the issue, Domestic Policy Director Cecilia Muñoz called O’Malley to complain.

But before they hung up, O’Malley told Muñoz not to send any of the children to the facility in Westminster, Md., that the White House was looking at. It’s a conservative part of the state, he warned. The children were at risk of getting harassed, or worse, he said.
maybe he should instead offer to send them to a safer, democrat stronghold of MD, like baltimore

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Remember when republicans couldn't get themselves enough little brown kids?

and their thought...

can we trade all these little kids back for the one marine/army soldier.....don't quite recall....in a mexican jail that obama doesn't seem to want back?

what would bo bergdahl want?

Last edited:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Remember when republicans couldn't get themselves enough little brown kids?
remember when democrats would invoke godwin's law? they've upped their game:

click-fu
“I don’t think as a commonwealth that we can turn away and turn our backs to children who are coming from desperate situations,” Patrick said. “My inclination is to remember what happened when a ship full of Jewish children tried to come to the United States in 1939 and the United States turned them away and they went to their deaths in Nazi concentration camps.”
yes, it's *exactly* like fleeing the holocaust

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
‘cluster coitus’

“Based on what I know now, stay as far away from this incipient exercise in cluster coitus as you can,” said anti-government activist Mike Vanderboegh on his blog.
So even the 3% (I have no idea what that means) think he's a jackass. What now?

“The commander has gone black because of security threats,”
Now he's black, great.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...

click-fuyes, it's *exactly* like fleeing the holocaust
Certainly an extreme analogy, but I think his underlying point is many of these "refugees" are fleeing an area in which an estimated 85,000 people have been killed since 2010, and sending them back into that environ could very well lead to some of their deaths. Hell, using Patrick's example, you could even make the case the US (and most everyone else) was not aware of what the Nazis had in mind for Jews in 1939, whereas we are pretty damn sure of what's going on south of border these days.

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

click-fuyes, it's *exactly* like fleeing the holocaust
Well you certainly can’t be expecting those godless, heathen democrats to be quoting what the Bible says when it comes to how to treat immigrants and foreigners, now can you? Surely the republicans are the expert in that area?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Well you certainly can’t be expecting those godless, heathen democrats to be quoting what the Bible says when it comes to how to treat immigrants and foreigners, now can you? Surely the republicans are the expert in that area?
slaves? because the bible's cool with that

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Certainly an extreme analogy, but I think his underlying point is many of these "refugees" are fleeing an area in which an estimated 85,000 people have been killed since 2010, and sending them back into that environ could very well lead to some of their deaths. Hell, using Patrick's example, you could even make the case the US (and most everyone else) was not aware of what the Nazis had in mind for Jews in 1939, whereas we are pretty damn sure of what's going on south of border these days.
can a case be made also for chi/oakland/detroit?

politicians - of either stripe - need to SFTU if ever they find themselves tempted to get old testament

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Might as well, since they seem to do a pretty good job of avoiding all that pesky new testament stuff.
"I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." –Mark Twain

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
It's fvckin easy to be a badass when you're fighting unarmed children. Let's see these tools try that against someone who will shoot back.

I have not served in the military, but have had the experience of being shot at. It's not like the movies, not at all.

Just let the real pros deal with the boarder issue. Speaking of which, we haven't heard from Manimal in a while.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
[devil's advocate]

You know, this is a tough one.

While it's easy to bash these guys, you all know they have a ton of silent support from a LOT of people all over the country who would never think of doing such a thing themselves but nod their heads in approval when they read about this stuff in the news.

And nobody is proposing any solution to the virtual non-existent border security aside from a few dozen checkpoints across the entire Mexico/US border. Is it ok, or sustainable, or acceptable, to continue to allow as many as 700k undocumented immigrants to enter the country every year? Do you think we can all understand or at least appreciate the situation the same way as those people in Southern CA, AZ, NM and TX?

I'd like to hear a complete and clear explanation of what 'immigration reform' means to all those politicians who are using this issue as a war cry.

I have nothing against these people. Shooting people probably isn't an option, but, what is a country do with/about them?

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Migrant workers cross the border illegally every year to come here and pick fruit, vegetables and tobacco for wages no American would even consider. Many folks think this is wrong and they should go through the proper channels to enter legally and learn English. Problem is, the majority of these workers are illiterate in their own country. A bit unreasonable to expect someone to learn a language when they cannot even read their own.

As far as I'm concerned, anyone with the stones to cross a desert and risk their life to have a chance at a better one, can stay. I say welcome. My ancestors got here by enduring similar hardships for the same reasons.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
[devil's advocate]

While it's easy to bash these guys, you all know they have a ton of silent support from a LOT of people all over the country who would never think of doing such a thing themselves but nod their heads in approval when they read about this stuff in the news.
And I could go shoot a black person in the name of preserving the white race and I would have plenty of head nodding support. That doesn't mean it's right, correct, or has any place in a civilized society.

Like with most things, give this news the life test. Ask yourself: "in what way is this affecting my life at all right now or in the future".

What's the answer to that?

The head nods are coming from people who just want to be pissed at the current president. And their dipshlt information sources are propping this up for just that reason. And this reason only.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
First; I don't know how to run a country.

That said, is it your opinion that unchecked, un-monitored immigration cannot affect "life at all right now or in the future"? I'm sure it affect MANY people's lives 'right now', though not mine directly. That's why I asked about the difference in appreciation of the issue regionally between people in say, Arizona vs Wisconsin.

Nowhere did I say this isn't based in racism, but not much isn't, these days.

I don't think the 'head nods' have anything to do with the current president. This didn't start 6 years ago. I think this is more of a galvanizing issue than that. I think it's easy for people to get fired up over what looks like selective enforcement of some laws vs other laws.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Oh yea, also, so what do we do?

We have immigration laws, and too often they're not enforced effectively. It seems kind of nuts to allow that to continue, but we can't simply throw the rules away. Can we?

If a big chuck of the immigrants decided that Tahoe was the place to be, do you think it might skew your opinion after a couple of years?