Quantcast

Minion 2

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
the only time I siped my knobs (that sounds duurty) was when I was dissatisfied with the grip I was getting out of my Schwalbe Alberts. I figured I'd give siping a try. It helped a bit when the grip was good, but when there was no grip, the sipes made no difference. Ie, in hero dirt I could corner that little bit harder, but on wet rocks and roots I was still on my arse. haven't bothered siping anything else since then.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
All that siping is going to make less of a difference than the addition of a braking edge to the center channel and the elimination of the deep vertical groves on the intermediate knobs of what was originally designed to be a front tire (notice the original DHR cuts them horizontally).

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
wow these look incredible basically exactly what I like in a tire pattern wise...I do love the existing minion but this takes it to another level for me.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Looks promising. Are they discontinuing the original versions? If so, expect it to turn into one of those New Coke/Classic Coke things (at least for the DHF).

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
Not mentioned yet - but I am most excited about the slightly wider spacing on the outside knobs. Hopefully now the Minion will "clear" better for those of us that see a lot of wet clay, but dont need a spike. This alone has what has had me riding Schwalbe Muddy mary the last couple of years. If the grip is the same on hardpack then win, win for me.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Not mentioned yet - but I am most excited about the slightly wider spacing on the outside knobs. Hopefully now the Minion will "clear" better for those of us that see a lot of wet clay, but dont need a spike. This alone has what has had me riding Schwalbe Muddy mary the last couple of years. If the grip is the same on hardpack then win, win for me.
The shoulder spacing looks the same to me. The DHF has a 50/50 ratio of land to sea (or knob to space in between) in the shoulder, and this looks the same.

To me, this Minion 2 looks like it will accomplish basically the same thing as the Highroller 2. If you step away from the two patterns there are not that many differences between them that the average rider would notice (although I'm not sure how the profiles compare).

I think some riders might actually miss the longitudinal groove in every other center element that the original DHF had. I suspect that was giving some cornering grip at less severe lean angles and off cambers.

Don't get me wrong, this looks like a great tire and will probably be uber versatile which is awesome, but I'm starting to wonder if Maxxis is getting a bit narrow minded in their design. Schwalbe and Specialized have some new-ish offerings that are becoming favorites for certain conditions...

WParsons

Chimp
Mar 19, 2011
That's a totally rear specific tire. Look at that big center block with the dual sipes. I'd like to think I had a hand in on that one. That's going to be a big ol' braking 'plow', which for most conditions is what you want for a rear tire. When you want controlled rear braking you want to have something that will push dirt, not float over top.

The old DHR had a massive channel down the middle with angled inside edges which basically made the tire have no straight line braking.

This new one addresses those issues.

Combine this tire on the back with a DHF or HR2 up front and for soft/intermediate conditions it'll be hard to beat.

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
Umm, does anyone else think that it looks closer to an original High Roller than either the DHF or DHR? I see what you're up to Maxxis, new tyres my arse! ;)

Also, what the f*ck is a sipe?

WParsons

Chimp
Mar 19, 2011
This will be a much better rear tire than the HR2 is. However the HR2 will be a better front tire than this one.

Lots of tires share some similarities with each other, its a given. Look at moto tires. To the untrained eye they all look the same.

I see very little in common between the Chunder and the DHR2. Subtle differences are big, massive differences are huge.

Mr Lahey

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
I still like muddy mary's
Based on the thread you just started about how to tune a stock Big Hit I can't imagine you know a whole lot about tire design. What does a Domain fork have on it- one knob for rebound adjustment?

Would be pretty pumped to try one of these as a rear!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
This will be a much better rear tire than the HR2 is. However the HR2 will be a better front tire than this one.

Lots of tires share some similarities with each other, its a given. Look at moto tires. To the untrained eye they all look the same.

I see very little in common between the Chunder and the DHR2. Subtle differences are big, massive differences are huge.
Yup.

We're definitely related.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Based on the thread you just started about how to tune a stock Big Hit I can't imagine you know a whole lot about tire design. What does a Domain fork have on it- one knob for rebound adjustment?

Would be pretty pumped to try one of these as a rear!
Oooooh damn you got me.

I'm not a suspension guru, I'm just looking for the manufacturers baseline settings to start from.

I've ridden enough different tires to know that I really like my muddy mary's, more so then a dhf/dhr combo, more so then a dhf/dhf combo, and more so than a few other combo's I have tried.

I know nothing of tire design, you are correct, that or I just know what I like and I don't sweat the small details like some of the internet bike ridering pro's who spend more time riding their mouse and their keyboard then their bike.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Oooooh damn you got me.

I'm not a suspension guru, I'm just looking for the manufacturers baseline settings to start from.

I've ridden enough different tires to know that I really like my muddy mary's, more so then a dhf/dhr combo, more so then a dhf/dhf combo, and more so than a few other combo's I have tried.

I know nothing of tire design, you are correct, that or I just know what I like and I don't sweat the small details like some of the internet bike ridering pro's who spend more time riding their mouse and their keyboard then their bike.
Ive ridden almost every tire combo out there too. I use to replace tires a lot and Ive been riding for 15 years. I have to ride a tire to tell how well its going to work... I cant tell just by looking at it. :)

I love the DHF front and rear. The new minion 2 might be something to consider on the back though.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
I'm guesstimating here, but I think the cornering forces are higher on a rear tire than a front tire.

Which means a rear tire needs to be able to corner just as hard or harder than the front (unless you want it to be drifty).

So really, the rear tire has a lot more work to do all around (and why it wears much more quickly).

Given that requirement, I'm not really sure why you wouldn't want to use a really excellent rear tire in the front as well (or vice versa). I generally run the same tire front and rear.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
I'm guesstimating here, but I think the cornering forces are higher on a rear tire than a front tire.

Which means a rear tire needs to be able to corner just as hard or harder than the front (unless you want it to be drifty).

So really, the rear tire has a lot more work to do all around (and why it wears much more quickly).

Given that requirement, I'm not really sure why you wouldn't want to use a really excellent rear tire in the front as well (or vice versa). I generally run the same tire front and rear.
you ever ride a DHR up front?