Quantcast

Motorcycle Thread

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
I feel guilty for liking this ham assed dork as much as I do. But there's no denying a good ebike shit talk.

I almost feel like I should remake this with a real dirtbike and not that pig ass DRZ

Hey @jimmydean, once you get tired of the back pain being hunched over from that ultra, you got a buyer.
DRZ guy is my spirit animal. I need to get me some tan overalls.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
just remember to get enough grease worked into them so they become waterproof
I got Enduro boots and over boot pants this year. Way better than my old moto setup. My old boots were technically ATV boots because they had tread, which was way I had them. But the new boots are very walkable with all the same protection.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
I feel guilty for liking this hammy dork as much as I do. But there's no denying a good ebike shit talk.
This Jeremy Clarkson derived presentation style for all things cars and motorcycles on YouTube really needs to die a quick and painful death.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

nippleSTARE.JPG

mountainbikes cost more because of tEcHnIlOgIcAl aDvAnCeMeNtS, not because of recycled previously abandonned ideas that newbs just don't know about

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Cool, but 50 pounds heavier than it should be.
While you and Woo definitely exceed my moto knowledge and experience, I do recall looking at a CRF450 and realizing it's not street-legal-convertible everywhere and that its maintenance interval was unsustainable for street use anyway... (Edit: And now I see there's an 450RL version...still, that's a dual sport, down on HP compared to an R, and not a street bike, unless you wanna go and spend the money on some supermoto wheels etc which kinda defeats the purpose...)

(Ed 2: Then again, this does not leave me uninterested...)
1699685556090.png

I mean, yeah, it's a Ducati and it's a production street bike, not an offroad and/or race machine...as undeniably Dentist as it is, I wouldn't hesitate to hit it...nor could I afford to in any case. Most production street bikes could lose a couple pounds for sure.

I'm kinda stuck in my old britbikes anyway, since I don't think I wanna change shifting sides on the regular. Sucks to hit the brake when you mean to hit the shift or vice versa...it's downright dangerous for me to own a modern bike if I intend to ride the classics. Then again I could store the classics and get myself a modern(ish) bike.

Honestly, for me I think an old SV650 would be all I need and want. Only question would be 1st or 2nd gen...I kinda would like fuel injection but love the 1st gen aesthetics. I would be tempted by a 1st-gen FZ but a rack of 4 carbs...ugh...and a small punchy twin is probably more fun in the end than a liter bike that I can never actually wring out under 95% of circumstances.

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
While you and Woo definitely exceed my moto knowledge and experience, I do recall looking at a CRF450 and realizing it's not street-legal-convertible everywhere and that its maintenance interval was unsustainable for street use anyway... (Edit: And now I see there's an 450RL version...still, that's a dual sport, down on HP compared to an R, and not a street bike, unless you wanna go and spend the money on some supermoto wheels etc which kinda defeats the purpose...)

(Ed 2: Then again, this does not leave me uninterested...) View attachment 203420

I mean, yeah, it's a Ducati and it's a production street bike, not an offroad and/or race machine...as undeniably Dentist as it is, I wouldn't hesitate to hit it...nor could I afford to in any case. Most production street bikes could lose a couple pounds for sure.

I'm kinda stuck in my old britbikes anyway, since I don't think I wanna change shifting sides on the regular. Sucks to hit the brake when you mean to hit the shift or vice versa...it's downright dangerous for me to own a modern bike if I intend to ride the classics. Then again I could store the classics and get myself a modern(ish) bike.

Honestly, for me I think an old SV650 would be all I need and want. Only question would be 1st or 2nd gen...I kinda would like fuel injection but love the 1st gen aesthetics. I would be tempted by a 1st-gen FZ but a rack of 4 carbs...ugh...and a small punchy twin is probably more fun in the end than a liter bike that I can never actually wring out under 95% of circumstances.
My FZ was far from stock, but that bike had about 100k miles on it when I sold it and the valves were still in spec. It was bomb proof and survived being rolled and rebuilt like a champ.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
So my cousin has a property where the daughter could learn to both drive and ride a motorcycle...she's reeeeaallly excited about that.

What's the best way to start a kid on a moto? She's 13 and almost 5' tall... not super mechanically inclined by nature, and I wonder if a clutchless option is a better way to go in the beginning, or if it serves as a good self-limiting tool... (my inclination is towards clutch, but she's related to her mother and therefore more likely to fold in the face of frustration than actually work through something that's difficult or uncomfortable or not immediately rewarding at first..)

Is a 50cc or electric Amazon chinese cheapie something worth doing to determine if there's further interest? XR100s and the like are going for $1500ish, looks like...I know I can re-sell at near what I paid for them, though, unlike the disposable $400 junk bike...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
XR100s and the like are going for $1500ish, looks like...I know I can re-sell at near what I paid for them, though, unlike the disposable $400 junk bike...
seems like that or something electric would be the way to go

don't get too hung up on honda

Last edited:

MonkeyGut

Monkey
Dec 8, 2006
How was 5 miles of hemorrhoids?
It was fun, just keeps coming, interesting and one of the funnest trails I have ridden. Did the 2nd bailout due to time, so we did 4 outa 8 miles. The multiple ledge crux can be done with a traverse. Pretty excited to go finish it. With less daylight we should have just gone up the road and an earlier start. Ran into a largish group that appeared to be experiencing drama of sorts and we lost some time there. Plan on heading back in the spring. I think you have ridden in the Lemhis? Similar to Devils Basin with better traction everywhere but.... sometimes there is deep fine red sand just before ledges/walls so you have to be sensitive with your blips

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
It was fun, just keeps coming, interesting and one of the funnest trails I have ridden. Did the 2nd bailout due to time, so we did 4 outa 8 miles. The multiple ledge crux can be done with a traverse. Pretty excited to go finish it. With less daylight we should have just gone up the road and an earlier start. Ran into a largish group that appeared to be experiencing drama of sorts and we lost some time there. Plan on heading back in the spring. I think you have ridden in the Lemhis? Similar to Devils Basin with better traction everywhere but.... sometimes there is deep fine red sand just before ledges/walls so you have to be sensitive with your blips
I've never ridden anything around that 70 corridor around the san rafael rise, or the plateaus around there. Just moab and around hanksville. A friend went out there this spring but I couldn't make the timing work.

I'd love to check that stuff out, I know there's tons of neat riding around there.

Last edited:

MonkeyGut

Monkey
Dec 8, 2006
I've never ridden anything around that 80 corridor around the san rafael rise, or the plateaus around there. Just moab and around hanksville. A friend went out there this spring but I couldn't make the timing work.

I'd love to check that stuff out, I know there's tons of neat riding around there.
I know we'll be there in the spring and will keep you posted. I've never ridden Hanksville but a lot of Moab, Abajos. I wasn't expecting such good slickrock at white mesa dunes, all I heard about was the Enduro loop(I do not recommend except to tie other shit together) and the cow wash/tubes. Mary's is kikass and I could see spending a whole day exploring the side zones n'shit on it. Kinda like old school Moab slickrock shits.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I think he is talking about the fat bike version of one of these.

View attachment 204512
of course christini figures out how to make a two wheel drive version that no one asked for or wants, and makes the entire system work worse :rofl:

Nah I meant snowboarding. As in if there's enough ice and snow to worry about studding tires, hopefully there's enough snow to do something way more fun than slipping around on a dirtbike

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
So my cousin has a property where the daughter could learn to both drive and ride a motorcycle...she's reeeeaallly excited about that.

What's the best way to start a kid on a moto? She's 13 and almost 5' tall... not super mechanically inclined by nature, and I wonder if a clutchless option is a better way to go in the beginning, or if it serves as a good self-limiting tool... (my inclination is towards clutch, but she's related to her mother and therefore more likely to fold in the face of frustration than actually work through something that's difficult or uncomfortable or not immediately rewarding at first..)

Is a 50cc or electric Amazon chinese cheapie something worth doing to determine if there's further interest? XR100s and the like are going for $1500ish, looks like...I know I can re-sell at near what I paid for them, though, unlike the disposable $400 junk bike...
I would say a Coleman 200. No clutch but gas and fun. I had so much fun with mine. They are quite powerful and can go anywhere. Mine would take my 230lbs through sand dunes.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
of course christini figures out how to make a two wheel drive version that no one asked for or wants, and makes the entire system work worse :rofl:

Nah I meant snowboarding. As in if there's enough ice and snow to worry about studding tires, hopefully there's enough snow to do something way more fun than slipping around on a dirtbike
Oh ok. I won’t miss many powder days, promise.

Slipping around on a dirt bike as a mode of transportation to go snowboarding is pretty fun. It’s a very small town and I enjoy using bikes and motorcycles to get around when I can.

IMG_2789.jpeg

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
What does that picture have to do with anything?

Does everyone in switzerland sign an oath to just post pretty pictures that may or may not be related to a topic that just look pretty?

I used dirtbikes with studs LONG before I actually knew how to ride one of the fuckers to get up a pass with a gate on it to go skiing.

All I was saying is that hopefully if you have enough snow that studs on a dirtbike seem like a thing, hopefully there's just enough snow that you don't need them, and can just go snowboarding for a few months without thinking about dirtbikes. That's all. I don't need the tourism pamplet.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Haha, I attempted to show how small the village is. I went snowboarding.

Ideally for a frame of reference so you could imagine how it could be relevant and useful in such a small town. Nothing more.

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
mammoth/vail concocted one of those 'villages'

something tells me yours is better
I dunno. It’s completely different.

Vail bought 4 resorts up the valley from here. Ander Matt, Crans Montana and another 2 next to Andermatt. Some American friends came over this winter thinking the Epic Pass would work nicely. There are a lot of surprises and things not included even when in writing. Vail is coming….

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR