Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
That's actually a pretty bad ass looking rotor and floating so it should adjust and dissipate heat well...I'll peak at em too...always down to research and try.
I was wondering about noise as the thing expands, if those little jigsaw things start touching they might start making noise.
Floating rotors are only done to reduce the chance of warpage and maybe a small weight reduction, as far as I was aware anyway.
I think they would be worse for dissipating heat than a traditional rotor, but I have no evidence to support that.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
How are you liking those brakes?
Buddy Jerry is rep for TRP he is trying to get me to run a set of their DH brakes...I trust what he says we go WAY back before any of this when he owned hippie tech so I'm inclined to try but we also go way back on this site several of us...so I take what we discuss on here between all of us as pretty reliable and solid info...
i've got 2 days of DH laps on them at this point but so far really like them. more powerful, which is what i was after and not surprising at all coming off of the og saint m800 2pots. more modulation too, but also not surprising (because shimano). some nice touches on the brakes too - like the set screws for the caliper adjustment and the double bleed ports on the caliper.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I was wondering about noise as the thing expands, if those little jigsaw things start touching they might start making noise.
Floating rotors are only done to reduce the chance of warpage and maybe a small weight reduction, as far as I was aware anyway.
I think they would be worse for dissipating heat than a traditional rotor, but I have no evidence to support that.
They float and don't make contact If warped keeping the surface off pads,
They usually use aluminum hats to connect which dissipated heat better than steel and a little aluminum can handle more cooling than steel in a smaller package.
No vibration, self aligning with brakes..

Does it make a huge difference probably not but id guess it's more than a traditional rotor.

@jonKranked I'll look at those brakes I haven't run saints had ALOT of buddies on em and loled them...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
@jonKranked I'll look at those brakes I haven't run saints had ALOT of buddies on em and loled them...
the OG saints thankfully lack the issues that plague modern shimano brakes. they have been rock solid, i just needed something with more power as there's more of me that needs to stop these days lol. i'm probably gonna put the saints on my megatrail (to replace xt m785s).

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Magura have a weird looking 220mm 2mm thick disc, it's $99 in Oz at full price so it should be a fair bit cheaper in the US-
View attachment 178297
That's what I have and it works well for me. A few others reporting knocking and play, but I have none. I had knock and play with some cheap chinese hope knockoffs, but these have been the real deal for me. Insane steep grades with no fade.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Pandemic supply chain mixup led to me having two bikes for the kid. Wondered if I should return or sell, but ended up building it to see how he likes it. And he loves it.

999C3B0B-A50A-4E09-A8DC-FC3ADF8B256C.jpeg

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Dammit I'm still waiting for my front Hadley hub to turn up for the Production Privee build, it's the last bit missing.
It was ordered back at the start of the year.
Huh. These showed up from Balle Racing in less than a week. Retail was cheaper than I could get used King or Profile Elite.

Last edited:

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Have you ordered it yet? These showed up from Balle Racing in the less than a week. Retail was cheaper than I could get used King or Profile Elite.
I just went back and checked, pair of gold hubs ordered 26th January, got the rear hub.
Front hub was placed on backorder at Blueshark (NZ agent for Hadley) for a shipment due in NZ in May?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I just went back and checked, pair of gold hubs ordered 26th January, got the rear hub.
Front hub was placed on backorder at Blueshark (NZ agent for Hadley) for a shipment due in NZ in May?
Ahhh, I should have emailed them, postage would have been better than from Balle.
Then again, I got mine in a week.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Love the spinning park tools hex tools but wish they would do knurling on em for a bit of grip..I already pitched it to John and he doesn't seem intristed...thats the only thing that's irritating...way too tooth and slippery...hell give it a shape above the barrel.
Same. they are great, but would be even better with that addition.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The Feedback ones are nicer. I like the Park ones okay but I wish the hex ends were toleranced a smidge bigger - they're a little loose in a lot of bolts.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
The Feedback ones are nicer. I like the Park ones okay but I wish the hex ends were toleranced a smidge bigger - they're a little loose in a lot of bolts.
Over the years I've found that for slightly rounded out stuff the Birzman ones are the best by a country mile.
Feedback I've found get worn out real quick, the standard feedback T hex keys I usually get 6-8 months out of before they are worn down too much and start slipping when faced with any resistance from the bolt.
The Parks (except the 2mm) have been lasting really well.
I really like the way on parks slider that 1 head, the black one is like an easy out fractionally over sized with a slight twist to it so when you put it into a rounded out bolt it dig's in as you try to undo the bolt.
With the number of "adjusted by a home mechanic" bike I get coming in this feature is so damn handy.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Couple of small items, can't find any vibra tite locally, I want to try it on the nipples.
IMG_20220629_180345.jpg

EDIT- Grabbed a matte black helm stem in 35X40mm-
1656760560627.png

Last edited:

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Cascade Components cam set. This last weekend I went up to Northstar, and noticed that trying to ride all day there on a trail bike, I was braking as infrequently as possible, but when I needed to, I wanted to brake hard to scrub speed.

1 half-ass ride today that was cut short because I apparently contaminated my front rotor, but these do dramatically change the bite. It ramps up more now, compared to being pretty linear before. I'd say they feel more like MT7s, almost as bite-y as Shimano when I set the contact point all the way out.
IMG_2628.JPG