Quantcast

Next generation Nomad?

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
That's how my LB rim ended up a few days ago
IMG_20180703_212306_049.jpg

This one is just 50g lighter than the ex471 that will replace it.
That's a 100g or 0.22lbs difference for a pair of wheelz... what rims did you had to loose so much weight?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
That's how my LB rim ended up a few days ago
View attachment 129415
This one is just 50g lighter than the ex471 that will replace it.
That's a 100g or 0.22lbs difference for a pair of wheelz... what rims did you had to loose so much weight?
ouch! what did you hit, tire and pressure do you run?

I went from 823s to their 30mm 'endurbro' rim. I'm going by posted weights so take it as a +/- amount. Regardless it was very noticeable.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
knocking wood

I've been beating on these for two seasons now and they're perfect. enduro rim, extra layup on the rear, dt comps and real tires.
I hope they don't explodify like both of yours have.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
hey...guess what? never weighed my nomad. probably never will. know why? because it’s built solid as fuck and if it’s going slow it’s rider failure and saving half a freedom unit somewhere would likely make zero difference.

*except the carbon bars. i have a secret deathwish. ask @kidwoo

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
knocking wood

I've been beating on these for two seasons now and they're perfect. enduro rim, extra layup on the rear, dt comps and real tires.
I hope they don't explodify like both of yours have.
Mine were 1st gen LB "trail" rims. I was not kind to them. Replaced with 2nd (or 3rd?) gen LB all-mountain rim. No issues with that one... yet.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
ouch! what did you hit, tire and pressure do you run?

I went from 823s to their 30mm 'endurbro' rim. I'm going by posted weights so take it as a +/- amount. Regardless it was very noticeable.
823 are definitely on the heavy side of things!

I think I hit a sharp rock landing a smallish blind drop. I weight just above 70kg (~155lbs) with gear and had 25psi or maybe less since I didn't check for a while. I also had a tubular tire, aka ghettocore, with 60psi in it.
As for anything build with carbon fibers, it is very strong when new and slowly loose strength mostly locally every time you bash it a little hard until you reach the point where it breaks once you hit it hard enough on a weak enough point.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
As for anything build with carbon fibers, it is very strong when new and slowly loose strength mostly locally every time you bash it a little hard until you reach the point where it breaks once you hit it hard enough on a weak enough point.
Tell me more.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
ok materials nerds ... educate me.

knowing that there are tons of variables, is it accurate to generalize that within a certain window or movement/compression/etc carbon can be built up to have an infinite fatigue life? and only be at risk of deforming/degrading/breaking if pushed beyond that window?

Nick
- not a smrt guy

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Carbon fatigues in the way that small fibers break. They can do it very slowly and in a minor way.

Or they can go catastrophically which is what you usually see with rims. But the firs can lead to the other. It all flexes some and therefore is susceptible to exceeding its limit, either small scale or large.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
This reminds me of when we used to give hammers to new lieutennants and told them they had to conduct armor checks for “soft spots” on the vehicles in the motor pool.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
knowing that there are tons of variables, is it accurate to generalize that within a certain window or movement/compression/etc carbon can be built up to have an infinite fatigue life? and only be at risk of deforming/degrading/breaking if pushed beyond that window?
Here's the long and short. You could build a carbon bar that will not fatigue (or have essentially infinite cycles until failure) under normal mtb loads but it will not be light so then what's the point of Carbon? It's not about the movement but about the force applied and the resulting yield/flex. If you make it stronger it won't flex at lower forces but then it will be heavy cause you needed a bunch of material to make it that strong. You could do the same with aluminum.

Carbon has much longer fatigue life than aluminum. But it is more likely to break under impact loads. So my current working theory is if you crash or can't afford to replace all your shit after crashing buy aluminum and replace shit every couple years.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Not much between those bikes in terms of geometry and weight, but as I don't own a downhill bike I'm perfectly happy with that bit of extra travel and length of the Nomad. I got some more park days in on the Nomad in the low setting, and boy is that thing capable - still fun and poppy on the easier tracks, but incredibly composed when it gets rough. That Bronson sure looks pretty though.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I like my new Long Lowtower. I know the HA is a bit steeper & the leverage curve isn't the same but I mostly use the part of the travel that looks okay-ish. The bike is stiff, poppy and takes rough stuff like a champ, while still pedaling great. The longer stays require a different approach to cornering for sure but the bike feels more composed when the front/rear is in the air.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Ordering an alloy Bronson frame...now the long waiting game begins. Thankfully I just fucked up my back so I couldn't ride it if I had it anyways...I guess that's better?