Quantcast

NFL playoff prediction thread

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
PonySoldier said:
Should be a dandy though...damn good road team coming to place that can be rough on the road team...
:stupid:
My prediction is this will be the game of the year, great running teams vs. great running defense. Winner takes all.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
For me it is not a bias at all.
I simply WATCH the games.
This same Carolina team went to the Super Bowl two years ago, all the while people were picking against them based on their regular season play. But they are a playoff team, and they have the toughness to smack their way to the Superbowl.
As far as Pitt versus Denver, I thought Pitt's win over Indy was very impressive, and they should have the edge, but this one should be close.
I will also admit, I have not seen Seattle play at their best.
I watched that awesome Giants game, where they had it won, but not kick a field goal. And I saw this weeks playoff game.
So, who knows, if I have a bias it is for Carolina, but that is my home team so who don't.:)

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
narlus said:
although Carolina better hope nick goings doesn't get hurt....damn, both davis and foster out can't be good for their chances.
Nice escape route.... things become so much clearer when you raise the blinders.

Keys to ponder.

Carolina no running game, and i mean that literally, they're all injured. Even without Alexander Seattle won against Washington, ask yourself "how" that could happen.

Payton Manning is overrated, Jake the Snake is underrated and more importantly is a mobile qb.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Skookum said:
Payton Manning is overrated
Everyone says that good players are overrated. Peyton had a lousy game this weekend but he's still one of the best QBs in the league, arguably the best.

He's had the best QB rating in the NFL for the 2005 regular season - by a pretty good margin. Overrated? I don't think so.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Skookum said:
Nice escape route.... things become so much clearer when you raise the blinders.

Keys to ponder.

Carolina no running game, and i mean that literally, they're all injured. Even without Alexander Seattle won against Washington, ask yourself "how" that could happen.

Payton Manning is overrated, Jake the Snake is underrated and more importantly is a mobile qb.
No running game. Nick Goings is a good back. He started the last seven games last year getting 100 yards in 5 of them. 12 for 63 against the Giants. He was 10 for 34 against the Bears. Which is exactly the same average per carry has Foster. He is also a good receiver and doesn't put the ball on the ground. We don't need a lot of production at running back.

If i were you I'd be more worried about the fact that your two best cornerbacks are no longer on your team and you are about to face the best reciever in the league that just torched the best defense for 218 yards and 2 TDs.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Skookum said:

Keys to ponder.

I like the Seahawks and think they will win, but wouldn't be suprised if they did lose. They had an easy schedule and really haven't been tested this year. Look ath their schedule, easy. The only teams they played this year that made it into the playoffs were the Giants, Washington and Colts. The Colts played their JV team and the Giants and Redskins didn't belong in the playoffs. It's going to come down to which team can put together the best gameplan and gameday execution.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Westy said:
I like the Seahawks and think they will win, but wouldn't be suprised if they did lose. They had an easy schedule and really haven't been tested this year. Look ath their schedule, easy. The only teams they played this year that made it into the playoffs were the Giants, Washington and Colts. The Colts played their JV team and the Giants and Redskins didn't belong in the playoffs. It's going to come down to which team can put together the best gameplan and gameday execution.
Don't mess wit da Skookie, you don't want the pain my freind....

i'll only warn you once.;)

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Skookum said:
Jake the Snake is underrated and more importantly is a mobile qb.
Jake the Snake is an eggshell quarterback, he crushes at the first sigh of pressure. If anyone gets pressure on the boy, he'll fold, start throwing picks, one good lick and the game will be over. I live in Arizona, I saw him at ASU and the Cardinals...

Bikey may be cool, but Jake isn't.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
binary visions said:
Everyone says that good players are overrated. Peyton had a lousy game this weekend but he's still one of the best QBs in the league, arguably the best.

He's had the best QB rating in the NFL for the 2005 regular season - by a pretty good margin. Overrated? I don't think so.
Regular season WHAT? That dude will never see a Superbowl except for on tv....

DRB said:
Nick is Goings to get his backside kicked.
Yes.

DRB said:
If i were you I'd be more worried about the fact that your two best cornerbacks are no longer on your team and you are about to face the best reciever in the league that just torched the best defense for 218 yards and 2 TDs.
A valid point if you had a real quarterback. Joking aside i don't see Steve Smith having that kind of game here, but at the same time i don't see any defense being able to shut him down totally. Plus your statement about the corners is faulty.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Carolina's defense couldn't stop that MIGHTY Bears offense, so what makes them think they can stop the Seahawks? Seattle doesn't even need Shaun Alexander.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Reactor said:
Jake the Snake is an eggshell quarterback, he crushes at the first sigh of pressure. If anyone gets pressure on the boy, he'll fold, start throwing picks, one good lick and the game will be over. I live in Arizona, I saw him at ASU and the Cardinals...
i don't think any quarterback is good if he doesn't have faith in his line. Look at what happened to Favre this year, and try telling me he's an eggshell qb....

Last comment i have on Denver, they are soon to be the enemy....

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Reactor said:

Bikey may be cool, but Jake isn't.
I haven't followed football much this year, but I don't think Jake has thrown that many interceptions this year.

This year he threw 7 interceptions, last year didn't he throw as many interceptions as he did touchdowns(close to 20)?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Skookum said:
The East Coast bias is just laughable to see on this thread.
sorry Skook, but something i found just makes yr claim totally laughable:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/index

check out the lower right part of the page. there's a poll where you can vote on which team's win was the most impressive. aside from pockets of homerism (WA, CO, NC, SC), the rest of the country overwhelmingly agreed on Pitt, with Carolina barely ekeing past Denver. the seahawks were way down there.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
I Are Baboon said:
Carolina's defense couldn't stop that MIGHTY Bears offense, so what makes them think they can stop the Seahawks? Seattle doesn't even need Shaun Alexander.
Holding Tiki Barber to 41 rushing yards and 69 total yards gives me a pretty good idea how they can do against the Seahawks.

Skookum said:
A valid point if you had a real quarterback. Joking aside i don't see Steve Smith having that kind of game here, but at the same time i don't see any defense being able to shut him down totally. Plus your statement about the corners is faulty.
You wouldn't rather have Lucas and Springs? Seattle is giving up close to 225 yards per game in the air and only 16 interceptions. Plus neither Dyson or Trufant (who is injured as well) are that good in man coverage. Not sure what makes you think that Smith isn't going to light y'all up like he lights everyone else up.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
narlus said:
sorry Skook, but something i found just makes yr claim totally laughable:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/index
ith Carolina barely ekeing past Denver. the seahawks were way down the
check out the lower right part of the page drivel drivel blah blah...
What does this have to do with anything? Especially in context of my post, i said "this thread"....
And to think, i actually thought you had intelligence. Go listen to some obscure music or somethin.:p ;)

DRB said:
You wouldn't rather have Lucas and Springs?
Nope.

i was wondering what the hell you were talking about. Your logic is whacko, you must be one of those fantasy players. That's like saying i wish we had Steve Largeant back for next weeks game, that's dumb....

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
DRB said:
Holding Tiki Barber to 41 rushing yards and 69 total yards gives me a pretty good idea how they can do against the Seahawks.
Ha, the difference there is that the Giants passing game blows. The Giants need Tiki Barber to put up yards or the passing game fails. Seattle does not need a running game.

But hey, what do I care. I'm an impartial observer who doesn't see this being a close game.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
I Are Baboon said:
Ha, the difference there is that the Giants passing game blows. The Giants need Tiki Barber to put up yards or the passing game fails. Seattle does not need a running game.

But hey, what do I care. I'm an impartial observer who doesn't see this being a close game.
Also the one that picked Chicago over Carolina......

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Last night was a great game. It killed me to watch the Bears lose, but Carolina simply played some inspired football and whipped us.

What sucks is that Chicago beat up Carolina pretty bad. Deshaun Foster and Julius Peppers both got knocked out of the game and lots of other players got dinged up. I think they are the better team than Seattle, but probably wont win on the road for lack of rest and injuries.
It sucks Chicago lost, but hey, my weekends are now free for riding again. I stress way too much about football.
...but on the upside...Rex Grossman looked pretty good. He looks like a good qb for nex year, and the defense will still be solid.

Super Bears, Super Bowl in 06'

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
BurlyShirley said:
Last night was a great game. It killed me to watch the Bears lose, but Carolina simply played some inspired football and whipped us.

What sucks is that Chicago beat up Carolina pretty bad. Deshaun Foster and Julius Peppers both got knocked out of the game and lots of other players got dinged up. I think they are the better team than Seattle, but probably wont win on the road for lack of rest and injuries.
It sucks Chicago lost, but hey, my weekends are now free for riding again. I stress way too much about football.
...but on the upside...Rex Grossman looked pretty good. He looks like a good qb for nex year, and the defense will still be solid.

Super Bears, Super Bowl in 06'

Burley, Burley, Burley........the tunnel vision you display for your beloved Bears hath blinded you to what really occured my friend. Let me direct you to this link which explains just how many injuries the Bears sustained at the hands of the 'Cats. http://bears.scout.com/2/489378.html

".....The Bears came out the bigger losers in terms of both injuries and the final score in a 29-21 playoff loss to the Carolina Panthers.
Wide receiver Muhsin Muhammad, who was held to 58 receiving yards on three catches, suffered a broken right hand but continued to play in the fourth quarter with the injury. Safety Mike Brown aggravated a strained calf and missed most of the game. Wide receiver Bernard Berrian suffered a hip-pointer on a third-quarter catch near the goal line, which forced him to the sidelines.

And linebacker Hunter Hillenmeyer had to leave the game with what was believed to be a concussion. "

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Greyhound said:
Burley, Burley, Burley........the tunnel vision you display for your beloved Bears hath blinded you to what really occured my friend. Let me direct you to this link which explains just how many injuries the Bears sustained at the hands of the 'Cats. http://bears.scout.com/2/489378.html

".....The Bears came out the bigger losers in terms of both injuries and the final score in a 29-21 playoff loss to the Carolina Panthers.
Wide receiver Muhsin Muhammad, who was held to 58 receiving yards on three catches, suffered a broken right hand but continued to play in the fourth quarter with the injury. Safety Mike Brown aggravated a strained calf and missed most of the game. Wide receiver Bernard Berrian suffered a hip-pointer on a third-quarter catch near the goal line, which forced him to the sidelines.

And linebacker Hunter Hillenmeyer had to leave the game with what was believed to be a concussion. "
Did they mention anything about Tillman having a facial injury?
Since he fell on his grill everytime he tried to cover Smith, I am sure he injured that overrated mug at least once.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Jeremy R said:
Did they mention anything about Tillman having a facial injury?
Since he fell on his grill everytime he tried to cover Smith, I am sure he injured that overrated mug at least once.
I think when he wasn't looking one of the apposing equipment managers tied Tillman's shoelaces together.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
binary visions said:
:stupid:

Carolina's offense is hot, and run D is one of the best in the league. Plus having 3 starting-caliber DBs won't hurt against Seattle.

After having watched Pittsburgh play a great game against the Colts, I couldn't pick against them.