Quantcast

+$&-no gmt yet ? -&$+

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Had a late meeting at the corporate offices last night. It was a giant dick swinging contest to see who you use the most corporate lingo. I could barely understand what was going on. At one point so many acronyms were being thrown around that I lost the plot. I stopped the conversation to ask what several of the acronyms meant, and no one there knew. Not one goddamn person there knew what the fuck they were actually talking about.
And this is why I actually don't mind interrupting a meeting discussion to ask what an acronym means.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
@slyfink I'm going to ride from Gatineau (Aylmer) to across the river from the parliament buildings on Saturday. Any tips on where to go or I guess more importantly, avoid? I don't want to ride on the road with my bum shoulder if at all possible...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
story time.
So our company goes through a DR exercise every year for a weekend. They sever the network between primary datacenter and "DR" datacenter.

Problem is, they try to fucking build systems *by hand* and then want to try to restore *specific* data back to them.

And my colleague that has been here for about 4 years is completely incompetent.

Of course, we're still running databases on Solaris and AIX servers. :disgust1:

And our Storage Admin appears also to be completely incompetent. Storage performance gets worse and worse, and she starts blathering incomprehensibly about stuff that makes no sense. I've gotten to the point I refuse to talk to her about storage because she immediately gets defensive and starts throwing out nonsensical shit.

And our architect refuses to acknowledge that we are out of storage in our area, and continues to call meetings to discuss "ways to reduce licensing costs" in our software.

It's a fucking comedy of epic errors. :rofl:

BONUS: Executive Director of Ops wants me to put together a meeting to discuss "significant capacity concerns." :rofl:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
So our company goes through a DR exercise every year for a weekend. They sever the network between primary datacenter and "DR" datacenter.

Problem is, they try to fucking build systems *by hand* and then want to try to restore *specific* data back to them.

And my colleague that has been here for about 4 years is completely incompetent.

And our Storage Admin appears also to be completely incompetent. Storage performance gets worse and worse, and she starts blathering incomprehensibly about stuff that makes no sense. I've gotten to the point I refuse to talk to her about storage because she immediately gets defensive and starts throwing out nonsensical shit.

And our architect refuses to acknowledge that we are out of storage in our area, and continues to call meetings to discuss "ways to reduce licensing costs" in our software.

BONUS: Executive Director of Ops wants me to put together a meeting to discuss "significant capacity concerns." :rofl:
Oh fun. Our DRP exercise is a few of us sitting in a room with coffee for a few hours and reading over the actual plan. But, our infrastructure and systems are relatively simple. We also don't have an architect or storage admin (at this level) to muck stuff up. :busted:

Good luck and have fun. :thumb:

Dude. My 16 year old says that.

Jesus H. Fucking Christ On A Stick.
I know. :brows: But after the acronym shenanigans earlier in this thread I had to.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

Semi-related, apparently fire drills at our Vietnam facility are legit fire drills. Local fire trucks respond, transport someone away in an ambulance to practice and personnel at the facility are trained to assist in fighting the fire and hose down sections of the building to put out the mock fire. Last time apparently a smaller Vietnamese guy manned the fire hose and got thrown all over the fucking joint soaking everyone in the process until another couple of guys could respond and help control the hose. :rofl:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
It's amusing, because we have weekly meetings for MONTHS prior to the exercise. To *PREPARE* for the exercise. Every year, someone new to the company says during one of these meetings, "If this was a real disaster, we wouldn't have time to "prepare" for it - so is this really a valid way to conduct this exercise?"

To which the old-timers chuckle and kind of ignore the n00B. :D

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
@slyfink I'm going to ride from Gatineau (Aylmer) to across the river from the parliament buildings on Saturday. Any tips on where to go or I guess more importantly, avoid? I don't want to ride on the road with my bum shoulder if at all possible...
Damn, I just booked a campsite for Thursday and Friday with my boy. I'll only be rolling back into town on Saturday night.... Would have been cool to show you around. But.. for sure, there's a bike path that goes all the way from Aylmer into town. It's bike path the whole way. Here's a link to the National Capital Commission's maps of the network. some sections may be closed because the high water levels from this spring's floods washed away the roads, but there are detours in place. Are you going to the museum of history? Also, if it helps, my buddy lives in Aylmer and commutes by bike every day. He Stravas everything. His handle is Save me Jebus.... you can look up his routes...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Damn, I just booked a campsite for Thursday and Friday with my boy. I'll only be rolling back into town on Saturday night.... Would have been cool to show you around. But.. for sure, there's a bike path that goes all the way from Aylmer into town. It's bike path the whole way. Here's a link to the National Capital Commission's maps of the network. some sections may be closed because the high water levels from this spring's floods washed away the roads, but there are detours in place. Are you going to the museum of history? Also, if it helps, my buddy lives in Aylmer and commutes by bike every day. He Stravas everything. His handle is Save me Jebus.... you can look up his routes...
Awesome thanks for the info. I don't really have any plans to stop anywhere, don't really want to risk my bike getting lifted. Just going to basically fart around for a few hours.

Do those paths get busy? I'm probably staying on the Quebec side. I wish we had a network of paths like that here...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Way to lizard up the GMT.

Morbidly obese people who stink like sore ass should not be allowed on airplanes. :(
A few months a go I was enjoying a beer at a nice German bar around the corner when a group of morbidly obese people rolled into the bar. The B.O. was so overpowering that every other person in the place desperately paid their bills and evacuated. Twas a stench that could only be generated from a sweaty turd polluted fold that couldn't have seen soap and water in years. That smell still haunts me, I feel like I still can get a whiff of it when I walk by the place. I would have popped an emergency exit door if that walked onto an airplane.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Way to lizard up the GMT.

I hope the smoke clears before

A few months a go I was enjoying a beer at a nice German bar around the corner when a group of morbidly obese people rolled into the bar. The B.O. was so overpowering that every other person in the place desperately paid their bills and evacuated. Twas a stench that could only be generated from a sweaty turd polluted fold that couldn't have seen soap and water in years. That smell still haunts me, I feel like I still can get a whiff of it when I walk by the place. I would have popped an emergency exit door if that walked onto an airplane.
What's really gross about that scenario is they've had to smell that bad for a long enough duration that they no longer notice it before venturing out.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
What's really gross about that scenario is they've had to smell that bad for a long enough duration that they no longer notice it before venturing out.
As did their fatty fatty friends.

But I can't say if the source was from an individual or the group as a whole. Imagine a noxious blend of weapons grade toe-jam, rancid piss and a fresh turd.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Gonna hit the DJ/BMX track after work for the first time since trying to kill myself with my non-carbon handlebars. Hope it goes better than this.

Dear god those tarmac tracks look horrible to crash on

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Man up and get your recovery on by a day of hill sprints to follow up..... You will thank me
That's only a true recovery if you are weak like the French army.. I recovered by doing over head lunge intervals on the stairmaster. I feel better than Chille after it has been liberated from evil communists by Pinochet.