Quantcast

Okay all you Station Wagon owners - what do you drive and how do you like it?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I'm in the market for a used wagon - looking to get feedback on what others are driving and how they like their vehicle.

I thought there'd be more to choose from in the wagon category, but it seems pickins are slim in my price range.

Would I be better off going with a smaller more economical and maybe newer wagon or looking for something like an older Saab, or Volvo wagon? Would an AWD wagon be more costly to maintain? It stands to reason that it would correct?

My price range is pretty crappy due to negative equity in my minivan so I'm looking in the $6K to $6,500 type of price range. I know that doesn't get me much, but it is the best I can do.

So tell me about your wagons please.

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC

If mine was totaled in an accident, I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. Maintainence? All I've done is change oil (synthetic), air filters, fuel filters, and I'm getting ready to do gear oils as I just turned 100K. This has literally been a problem free car for 100K, has been raced, not driven lightly.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
WRX wagon. Really like it, fun to drive relatively cheap to run and quite utilitarian. Maintenance costs shouldn't be much higher on an AWD drive unless something breaks, that doesn't happen very often but when it does it is expensive.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi

If mine was totaled in an accident, I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. Maintainence? All I've done is change oil (synthetic), air filters, fuel filters, and I'm getting ready to do gear oils as I just turned 100K. This has literally been a problem free car for 100K, has been raced, not driven lightly.
Gonna sell him yours for $6k?

An older Impreza or Legacy wagon might be had for that, though...maybe...

I like my Outback Impreza (same body, 2.5L normally-aspirated engine, less-swank interior), but I also wish it had a transfer case that'd let me save some gas by switching to 2wd for normal driving.

MD

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
my pal's Outback was a great car. she sold it for a 4x4 Toy Tacoma tho.

A 3rd generation 4Runner may could be bought for less than $10k and would be an excellent vehicle.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
AFAIK, generally the AWD systems don't add a whole lot to maintenance, but they do add a lot to the initial cost of entry.

I've had such good luck with Subarus that I wouldn't have any hesitation in buying a Subaru with fairly high mileage that seems to be in good mechanical shape. CV joints go on them occasionally but that's not a huge amount of money to fix. Plus, AWD for those New England winters.

My '98 Forester is up to 134k and runs awesome (knock on wood).

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
SUVs and trucks are out of the question - I need decent gas mileage.

One thing about high mileage Subies - it'll be hard to get a bank to finance a loan for something with high miles on it.

Why is it that Volvo wagons seem reasonably priced? Do they not hold their value like a Subie?? It is hard to find a Subie wagon in my price range without it having mega miles on it (well over $100K).

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
I was going to say a minivan, but since you already have one, well, I'll still say it, I love my Grand Caravan, yank the seats out and I can fit 2 DH bikes, fully assembled, a weekend's worth of camping gear and food, 2 guy's riding gear and 2 90+ pound yellow labs inside and get ~20mpg.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
This area has to have the highest concentration of old Volvo wagons of anywhere. A guy I worked with put over 200+ miles on one until the transmission blew up. No idea why they don't hold their value as well.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
The bike hauling capability of a minivan is attractive, but I think it is time for a change for me and I could benefit greatly by the increased gas mileage of a wagon.

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
SouthEastern Massachusetts
Why is it that Volvo wagons ... Do they not hold their value like a Subie??
Short answer re volvos (the automotive line) - IMO, yes. See volvo's primary owner for good reasons (Ford Motor Co). edit: But the older wagons, like the DL's were decent, but no safety features like airbags, etc. If you're a tinkerer, the volvos probably work out, those older wagons have a following for sure...gas mileage any good on them?

In the 20 years I've been owning and driving cars, the '00 Subaru Outback I have RN has been the least in the way of problems. The clock reads 135000, and it's runnin' the original clutch. I did a few gas mileage calcs this summer, and with AC on, and a roofrack, mine gets approx 26 mpg. Not GREAT, but not terrible either. This car sees a lot of company miles (Read: highway) and also a ton of use getting the family around/bikes around on w/e's. The AWD tends to go through tires a little faster than a FWD car, 50k at most, (also b/c of tire type and selection/application for the outback), but if your good about tire rotation/alignment - it helps. If you can swing it, a used outback can be had from a dealer for cheap cheap. I know I sound like a salesman, but right now is the best time to hit dealer lots and make a deal. You can easily talk a dealer down 2500 or more right outt'a the gate on any used car right now...07's are fully in, and they are trying to reduce inventory. Maybe you can get MTBerChk to talk price way down at a dealer for you...I remember reading (while lurking here) that she can strike fear in car salesmen everywhere...

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
C.P. I've only found a couple of outback wagons in my price range - even trying to strike a grand or two off the asking price, most would be too pricey for my budget.

I'm always looking for Subies to pop up though - so maybe I'll get lucky.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
'96 Outback. 160k on it and very few problems. Oxygen sensor and valve cover gaskets have been the most major.

Handles great, lots of room.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
MizN8 has a 2004 Celica which gets great gas mileage (30-35 mpg) and can haul 2 bikes in the rear with the seats folded down.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
MizN8 has a 2004 Celica which gets great gas mileage (30-35 mpg) and can haul 2 bikes in the rear with the seats folded down.
My vehicle needs to haul two kids and hockey equipment all at the same time, that is not going to happen in a Toyota Celica!

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Impreza TS or RS Wagon. You can pick one up used for around your price range. The TS will be cheaper but not have as nice of an exhaust or suspension setup, and the interior is not as nice. That being said, they are 95% the same car. They are the 2.5L normally aspirated (non-turbo) version of the WRX wagon. I get ~26-29 mpg on regular, and I drive like an idiot.
I traded down from a Tundra, so I figured the space would be an issue, but in reality it is not. Mileage wise it's great. And the AWD has pulled me out of some hairy isht on multiple occasions including avoiding F350's not being able tp stop on icy roads
As for utility, I put a hitch on for mounting a bike rack, and it fills all of my needs. I just took a run up to Tahoe on Sunday loaded down with three of us and gear. I didn't run out of power until ~7k ft above sea level. As a snow car, it's great with AWD. I just put on a set of performance all weather tires and it handles great.
If you are looking to get a used one, try to find one from the southwest, as you will not have to worry about rust from the salting in the midwest/east coast.
Another nice bit is that most parts from the WRX will bolt straight up. I put on WRX wheels ($175, 16" Alloys instead of 15" steelies on TS, RS comes with them), a 20mm rear sway ($85), and endlinks ($100) and it feels almost identical to my buddy's stock WRX. There is a large aftermarket for suspension performance available as well, so getting used bits cheap is relatively easy and it greatly improves the handling of the car.

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
SouthEastern Massachusetts
Mark,

What about the legacy (called the "brighton" model) rather then the outback version of the legacy. They have the same engine, drivetrain(read AWD), interior room (a little less headroom though) etc, just no outback body cladding, smaller wheels/tires, and the suspension rides the car at a little lower height.

You could go with a second generation legacy, (Like Splats) and you'd probably find a good deal. The third gen legacys ('00 through 04) are probably a better consideration IMO, b/c the transmissions and engine configurations changed enough for real noticeable upgrades. More room, more power and even fuel economy etc.

Here's a couple 2nd generation legacy's in CT - not a bad deal if you talk them down.
Like this

A cheapie, might not be so good, but worth checking into: check it.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I found a lot of subies on ebay this past weekend around 7-8k. As for the outback, it is a TS/RS with 1" taller springs and 17" alloy rims. All other differences are cosmetic

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
My pal sold her 02 Outback wagon for $6600 with 125k miles on the odo.

She had to replace the alternator.

It was a 4 cyl auto and got 24 mpg... not all that steller but not bad.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
CP - Yep I've been looking for all Subies - not just outbacks.

My friend bought a van from the dealership selling the green one. I'll ask him how he was treated. $7K still seems a little steep - think they'd go down a grand or more on it?

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
A note of importance, you REALLY want to get a stick if you get the subie. If you don't, your control is not as active, which allows you to take full advantage of the AWD and powerband

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip>

Why is it that Volvo wagons seem reasonably priced? Do they not hold their value like a Subie?? It is hard to find a Subie wagon in my price range without it having mega miles on it (well over $100K).
Yeah - but you see, 100K miles is not "mega" for a Subaru. I bought my last '95 Legacy wagon with 126K miles and sold it at 195K. It cost $6500 IIRC.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
I see alot of recommendations for the Impreza - if you have kids & crap, you'll probably want the extra room of the Legacy/Outback. Until we hit 3 kids there was plenty of room in the Outback for everybody & all the $hit. :D

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
I see alot of recommendations for the Impreza - if you have kids & crap, you'll probably want the extra room of the Legacy/Outback. Until we hit 3 kids there was plenty of room in the Outback for everybody & all the $hit. :D
I just drove my Impreza from NC to Illinois and back for 2 weeks with 2 adults, 2 kids, and a Golden Retriever, using a Yakima Space Cadet. :thumb:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Yep -The impreza would be too small. That's more like a hatchback than a true wagon.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Well Mark, you know I love my Outback. Aside from a couple of warranty-fixed issues (transmission and throttle position sensor), it's been great.

~80k miles in just over three years. Two more years of payments and that baby is mine. I'm glad to see people here got upwards of 200k out of their Subies. I'd really like to go a year or two without payments before buying a new one.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Well Mark, you know I love my Outback. Aside from a couple of warranty-fixed issues (transmission and throttle position sensor), it's been great.

~80k miles in just over three years. Two more years of payments and that baby is mine. I'm glad to see people here got upwards of 200k out of their Subies. I'd really like to go a year or two without payments before buying a new one.
I'll tell you - not having payments is a great thing. :thumb: Our Outback has been paid off since 2000.

No if I could just get rid of the fukkin' minivan payment. :mad:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut

Your Subie is nice IAB - I agree. They are hard to find in my price range however. But CP sent me a couple of good leads, and through that site I also found a nice looking V70 in my price range with decent mmiles for it's age (98)

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Your Subie is nice IAB - I agree. They are hard to find in my price range however. But CP sent me a couple of good leads, and through that site I also found a nice looking V70 in my price range with decent mmiles for it's age (98)
Have you checked for any Toyota or Honda wagons? I think they made a Camry & Accord wagon for awhile...

Or you could get a classic: