Quantcast

Okay all you Station Wagon owners - what do you drive and how do you like it?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
ask them why they want to trade a quest for a POS Chevy!

and yeah, probably. A 95? Really? that's like 12 model years old - even if it sat in a driveway, it was still subjected to the New England seasons......

I'm gonna try and focus on a couple of Quests and Sienna's that look nice.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
I'm almost up to 90k miles on my WRX Wagon and also going on 3 years...

I've been thinking of getting something else this year...dunno what tho. call me stupid, but I've been thinking of a 2006 Dodge Sprinter:

but that wouldn't be as fun to drive as my Suby...
isn t that the mercedes made dodge ??? def n a nice rig... we saw some insane vans like that in europe... very nice for riding bikes / boards and crashing out in style...

ss... volvo is always the answer, but you know that :)... they still make a 3rd row option, even with current models...

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Let's get this back on track.

Am I leaving out something I should really be considering?

Does a wagon really offer that much more cargo room than say a 4 Door Sedan?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

I mainly got a wagon and use it that way to throw my bike in the back in situations where I don't think it would be secure enough on the rack (getting stolen).

I have a small wagon, the sedan version would have much less space, of course a larger sedan would have as much if not more. Getting the wagon allowed me to get a smaller vehicle, better on gas and more fun to drive while having the utility of a larger one.

I also like the aesthetics of hatchbacks.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder

after going from an outback wagon to a passat sedan, i'd say yes, but it's not a huge difference. much bigger difference going from wagon to minivan, imo.

the nice thing about about a wagon or hatchback is the ability to lay down the rear seats...can't do that w/ a sedan, and the trunk is only so large.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Everyone I've known that's ever had a Taurus past 75K miles as had to replace the tranny...

ASS CARS.

For a while I was doing a lot of travel for work. They wanted to give me a company car, a Taurus. I turned down a free Taurus.:clapping:

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
SouthEastern Massachusetts

Yes. (Like narlus said), especially when you consider that many wagons have fold down deats, to expand the cargo area. Also, with 60/40 split fold down seats, you can put, say a large item in the back with the 60 side folded down, and still put a third passenger in the car on the 40 side. Or if this scenario is flipped, the 40 could be folded down to put a bulky item in the car, and seating (albeit tight) is avail for two (2 seat belts & seating areas).

We've done this when we travel to KT with the kids. The "stuff" goes in the back with "overflow" (like a cooler) goes towards the 40 side, and put two car seats right next to each other on the remaining 60 side...

I'm told the hard part is going from a minivan to something smaller...you get used to all that space...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
ASS CARS.
that is rad. i think that's what I want to be driving.

Nah, you don't give up too much going from a wagon to a sedan, mostly the ability to fit large objects. Keep in mind sedans are somewhat more secure because nobody can see what you're carrying. Wagons simply offer way more total storage capacity, though.

If you have a rack, you might not need the interior space you originally imagined. Depends on how much you carry with how many people.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Yes. (Like narlus said), especially when you consider that many wagons have fold down deats, to expand the cargo area. Also, with 60/40 split fold down seats, you can put, say a large item in the back with the 60 side folded down, and still put a third passenger in the car on the 40 side. Or if this scenario is flipped, the 40 could be folded down to put a bulky item in the car, and seating (albeit tight) is avail for two (2 seat belts & seating areas).

We've done this when we travel to KT with the kids. The "stuff" goes in the back with "overflow" (like a cooler) goes towards the 40 side, and put two car seats right next to each other on the remaining 60 side...

I'm told the hard part is going from a minivan to something smaller...you get used to all that space...
Yeah the space in the van is nice. For instance today. I have two big hockey bags in the back, 5 sticks, one medium sized coaches bag, a bucket of pucks, and I still have room for four people to ride comfortably with the captain's chairs in back.

And when I had the van I could easily fit three people in there, and at least three bikes Iniside the van for travelling purposes. It is also nice when you stop to eat after a ride to have the bike stored inside the vehicle rather than on a roof rack or hitch mount.

Decisions, Decisions.

One of those new Mazda 5s would be ideal for me, but I can't afford one of those suckers.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I've only skimmed this thread, but have you thought about a used SUV? Gas mileage wouldn't be quite as good as a car, but probably about the same as a minivan, similar space/versatility, but with 4wd for winters. I would think you could get a used pathfinder/4Runner for your budget.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I've only skimmed this thread, but have you thought about a used SUV? Gas mileage wouldn't be quite as good as a car, but probably about the same as a minivan, similar space/versatility, but with 4wd for winters. I would think you could get a used pathfinder/4Runner for your budget.
I've thought about some of the smaller SUVs like the CR-V etc. etc.

Laura already has an Explorer so we've sorta got the SUV thing covered with her vehicle.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I'm going to look at a few Mazda MPVs I think.

seems like lots of used MPVs are hitting the market around here - perhaps year end trade ins or something.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Are you serious? That thing is badass but doesn't fit the economic requirement you had. I love those things, you can actually fit 4'X8' plywood inside.
Notice the winking smiley up there.

Several promising Mazda MPVs have hit the area market, so they are in consideration now.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Notice the winking smiley up there.

Several promising Mazda MPVs have hit the area market, so they are in consideration now.
I figured it was a joke but wasn't sure. I was actually thinking about getting one of those beasts when I was considering doing a whole bunch of home improvement. Those things can haul more than most modern SUV's and small trucks.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I figured it was a joke but wasn't sure. I was actually thinking about getting one of those beasts when I was considering doing a whole bunch of home improvement. Those things can haul more than most modern SUV's and small trucks.

Tell me more about the time you spent driving the rented MPV.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Tell me more about the time you spent driving the rented MPV.

Rented it to drive from Nebraska back east hauling stuff from my mothers house. I tend to take corners fast and it drove more like a small car than a van. Even on the trip back loaded to the gills with crap it handled well, I was impressed. Ghostrider owns one so you might want to PM him for some more detailed feedback.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Don't know if this helps, but avoid Saturn wagons. I have a 96 Outback and my buddy has a 96 Saturn wagon. That Saturn is falling apart from the inside out while the Subie is doing pretty damn good considering what we put it through.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Throwing it out there....

Honda Element or...*gulp*....Scion XB?